Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

ashamed but... I will share

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  zippydog 
#1 ·
I just checked my tire pressures.... 12LB up front and 14LB in back... Ouch...
Damn lucky something bad didn't happen too... thats pretty low

I just assumed the shop checks it when I had service... I am going with NOPE..

Wow the bike handles so much different at 34 front and 38 back!

Anyone run different pressures than I set mine with great wear and handling results? BTW I have stock Dunlaps...

thanks guys..

Ps check your pressures early and often ;)

#3 ·
No shame to be found my friend when sharing positive or good advice that may help others. It's my own habit to do a walk-around inspection before, at stops during and after every ride just to err on the side of safety.

#7 ·
Zippy you are probably not the only one who assumes tire pressure check is a part of a routine service....but if you just took it in for an oil change and fluid check then they dont go near the tires... it the same with a car....

#8 · (Edited)
When I test drove my 2009 Classic, I just jumped on it and went. Nearly dumped the bike on the first turn. The front tire either didn't want to turn, but once I got it to turn it wanted to ride right into the ground.

I bought it anyways, figuring there was something amiss with the bike, but hat it was fixable (got a great deal on the bike, so I could not pass it up).

got it it home, off the trailer and checked the tire pressure: 11 on the front and 14 rear! put them both to 38, went for spin - what a difference! Now I run them 38 front 42 rear and it handles like a dream.

Next time I go check out a bike, tire pressure gauge goes with me.

doc

#11 ·
Saw a lady the other day riding on the rim on her sportster. Tire was flat, as in punctured. Had no idea, said it had been feeling a little 'off' since she left that morning a couple hours before. Sheesh!

I can notice something a little 'off' with more than a couple pounds myself, but I check them frequently so I kind of get a 'feel' for how it should be. I don't ride very aggressive though, so I can usually get away with a couple pounds here or there.

Nothing to be ashamed of, at least you caught it! It's a good reminder though to check those tires often, especially this time of year where temperatures fluctuate, drop, humidity changes, etc. etc. Seems like, unless it's just my imagination, my tires fluctuate a lot more in the winter and in the spring than any other time.

#12 ·
Boy I need to be slapped!!, I have not checked mine, But in any case what is the best pressure for a 06 lt ?

#13 ·
It varies based on your weight and riding preferences. Experiment a little bit and you'll find what feels 'right' for you.

I run 38 front and rear, FWIW.

#14 ·
The 09 Classic owner's manual says 28 PSI front and either 28 or 32 rear, depending on weight. I typically check pressure once each weekend and whenever the temperature up here changes by more than a few degrees. I use a "guaranteed" pressure guage, not the one on my compressor. I also alternate around within a 2 PSI range of recommended pressure. This is to have different parts of the tread to be on the road. My original set of Dunlops got me just under 25,000 KMS and I was still 1 or more MM above minimum tread depth. I don't think I feel any difference in the 2 PSI range.
I as well am not a really agressive rider. A couple months ago had a friend drop by. He was riding 2-Up with his tween daughter in tow. Did not see him ride up, however on leaving as soon as he sat on the bike you could see the contact point flatten out. I mentioned it to him and he said he would drop around to a station and fill it up. I insisted that we do it here and as he left I just shook my head. We only have two, so check them often. Papa Smrph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.