Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Instrument Panel

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  coolmesser 
#1 ·
I recently installed an electronic speedometer that mounts on the handlebars and I don't need the speedometer located on the tank. But I do need the indicator lights. Any ideas on what to do with that bulky instrument panel that would allow me to still use the indicator lights?

#2 ·
I've done mods (and so have others) that take the internal components out of the new housing and place them inside the original housing. Then of course the diameter of the facing/bezel area should be the same or else you will have to also mod the original housing but it can be done.

If you don't want the bulky housing on your tank you'll have to shave off the housing mounts on the tank and then repaint, rewire to the location you want the new housing to be mounted and then relocate all of your internal components into the new housing. All of this can be done but it's all up to you in the end.

#4 · (Edited)
Relocating the entire cluster; NOT doing away with it.

FYI, some counties in Arizona (and a few other states) do NOT require an odometer for bikes and off road vehicles or EPA/DOT/MVD mandated emissions testing on top of that. Not saying this is his case here but just pointing that out too.

Even if rludingt went completely radical and "shaved" everything off of his bike and tossed it all away into the trash (which I'm sure he would keep all OEM parts for the new owner if he were to sell it in the future) and found someone to buy it afterwards it would be the new owner's responsibility to bring it up to specs if he/she wants to register it. Happens all the time friend. Take a ride with some serious modders or out to the country and you'll see for yourself. :D

#5 ·
As far as the high beam and neutral indicator go, you can always get two LEDs from radio shack and just use a clip that clips onto the line for those indicators and into your new line. I would definitely use a 12v test light and only do this if you're feeling froggy.

But once you get those installed, you're only other big step will be mounting it and making it look good. But as long as you keep your gauge cluster, you could always re install it before selling it, the mileage wouldn't be accurate, but as long as you can wade into those legally murky waters it'll work. I think there are places on most titles that will allow you to state the mileage isn't accurate.

#6 ·
yeah ... shouldn't be that hard to rig the dummy lights into a new housing that can be located on the bars or some other innocuous place. That would be a major pain though. I'd rather run with the stock or none at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.