Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Gone Darkside

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Jammin'John 
#1 ·
It's done.

P195/60R-16 Yokohama AVID Ascend on the rear and 130/60x16 Michelin Commander II on the front.

3oz of Dyna beads in the rear, 2oz in the front. This is the first time using the beads. We shall see.

Mileage is 12,457

Had to sign a waiver. Installer said to take it easy for the first hundred miles.

w

#3 ·
I know you'll like it. I don't know about the beads.
Here's your cookie!

#5 ·
I have the same on my 10 VV. You will notice a slight difference in handling but you get use to it after 100 or so miles. I will not go back to a MC tire.

Congratulations.

Lobo

#6 ·
Update on "Gone Darkside"

mods, please excuse my bringing back to life this old thread.

So, here it is 2/2/13 and there has been 1,100+ miles ridden darkside in a little over two months and an update is due. The cons and pros.

First, the cons, or should I say con...
Victoria wiggles in high speed turns, I think it is the sidewall flexing. Tire pressure has been as low as 35 now is 41 and next ride will be 45, all to try and stop the wiggle. There is an interchange that has a long slow sweeping curve that I have been taking at 80+ for years. On Nina the Ninja 500, AJ the C50T and now Victoria the Vulcan Voyager. All three bikes took this curve without complaint, hesitation or wiggle. Until the ct on Vicky. Now I take this curve at 65 'cause the high pucker factor at 80+ hurts my a$$hole. This is the only con.

Now the pros...
Other than what has been said above, I can not tell a difference. With that being said the tire life should save me money in the long run and I really like the idea of this tire while driving down the interstate in summer rain showers. Just looking at all that tread hitting the ground gives me confidence on wet streets. I will probably get flamed for this but the coolness factor is awesome. When I point out the ct on Vicky it is an instant wow factor with cagers and a conversation starter with fellow motorcyclist.

Bottom line...
I love it. Next time will probably go with bias to stiffen the sidewall. Love it and will never go back to rear mt on cruisers/touring machines.

For the record, the first time I took the curve was a very mild 60 or what ever the speed limit is there. I slowly built up to 80+. The faster she goes the more she wiggles. Hmmm, just re-read that, and it is, well, sorta invigorating! The faster she goes the more she wiggles. Somebody oughtta right a song about that one!

I've had too much Crown, good night all.

#10 ·
mods, please excuse my bringing back to life this old thread.

So, here it is 2/2/13 and there has been 1,100+ miles ridden darkside in a little over two months and an update is due. The cons and pros.

First, the cons, or should I say con...
Victoria wiggles in high speed turns, I think it is the sidewall flexing. Tire pressure has been as low as 35 now is 41 and next ride will be 45, all to try and stop the wiggle. There is an interchange that has a long slow sweeping curve that I have been taking at 80+ for years. On Nina the Ninja 500, AJ the C50T and now Victoria the Vulcan Voyager. All three bikes took this curve without complaint, hesitation or wiggle. Until the ct on Vicky. Now I take this curve at 65 'cause the high pucker factor at 80+ hurts my a$$hole. This is the only con.

Now the pros...
Other than what has been said above, I can not tell a difference. With that being said the tire life should save me money in the long run and I really like the idea of this tire while driving down the interstate in summer rain showers. Just looking at all that tread hitting the ground gives me confidence on wet streets. I will probably get flamed for this but the coolness factor is awesome. When I point out the ct on Vicky it is an instant wow factor with cagers and a conversation starter with fellow motorcyclist.

Bottom line...
I love it. Next time will probably go with bias to stiffen the sidewall. Love it and will never go back to rear mt on cruisers/touring machines.

For the record, the first time I took the curve was a very mild 60 or what ever the speed limit is there. I slowly built up to 80+. The faster she goes the more she wiggles. Hmmm, just re-read that, and it is, well, sorta invigorating! The faster she goes the more she wiggles. Somebody oughtta right a song about that one!

I've had too much Crown, good night all.
Congrats. That does seem odd that you are experiencing THAT much noticeable sidewall flex. I run 36psi and the only time I notice any rear wobble in a turn is if I really nail the throttle or hit a bump. Perhaps I've just gotten used to it to the point I don't feel it anymore.

#7 ·
I run 42 PSI on my CT.... it is still soft....

#8 ·
For the last 4-5000 miles i have had to drop my psi to 25 to attempt to stop the wear on the middle threads. So far i think it is working but now am wearing faster on right (looking from rear) edge than left. Left side 7/32 middle 6/32 right 6/32, any ideas why this is. The left should wear faster because of the domed effect of most roads and driving on the right side. By the way i don't notice any flexing of side walls even at higher speeds. JFI 195 60 16 dunlop on 2011 nomad with mostly me and with trailer mabe 10%of the time.

#9 ·
Would really like to try a bias tire. Anybody have one? Would love to hear your input.

#12 ·
Hmmm, what to do, what to do. Guess I will just have to ride it unti there is no tread then get a bias ply.

Think I will start taking a couple of pounds out at a time and see what it feels like and start riding like my age. That don't sound fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.