Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Hi all Might be come a Vulcan owner

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Bear2123 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

I am not a Vulcan owner yet but I might be trading my 97 Honda CBR1100xx Blackbird for a friends older Vulcan I thinks he said it was an 87. My Honda has 100K and I do not want to ride spoert bikes any more. I do love my Honda. I do know when I ride his Vulcan I do not want to get off of it. I am sure if we do the trade I will asking lots of questions.

I did restore the blackbird when I got it so I do have some (very little ) no how.

Will let you know what happens

#5 ·
Ok here is the update for now. We hung out last night and BSd for hours. It was midnight when I left and a litle vold out. Told him I would come back today so I can see it in the day light. The bike was painted blue with lots (I mean lots) of metallic flakes. Thin 1960 motorcycle helemt. Just want to see what it looks like in the sun. Not a big deal and will probably do trade today. Title is in my pocket. Good thing is I am friends with owner and he has been riding the bike everyday for the last 8 months. So I am trust him enough to believe him that there are only a few small things wrong. Slight leak in the carbs once in awhile, rear break needs a little work becasue it sticks once in awhile and the shiny blue paint.

#6 ·
Ok I got it home it is an 1987. I will take photos later. The 12 mile ride home was fun. Time to clean it up, inspect and make lists. I need to remove skulls and lots of old live to ride add on accessorys. The paint and crome are in very good shape. Some small things have rust (springy things on cables and a some bolt heads.
My friend replaced the seat and forks, the rear shocks are lower than stock and the tires are new.

Time to bust out tools and cleaning stuff.

#10 ·
Ok removed the skulls, most of the wings, and other added flare. I guess the original wanted everone to know it was a V-twin from whatever angle they looked at it. Gave everything a good quick cleaning. Looks like everything is going to clean up very well.

Removed rear brake. Looks like the pads and the pins they are on got rusted. Tried to clean up the pins but still sticking. When I get new pads I will take my time and remove the rust.

Did not remove carbs yet going to wait until I get the service book. I did drain the bowls and ran some sea foam threw them for the time being. I am hoping the reason why they leaked is that my friend never turned the petcock to off. Read somewhere that can cause leakage. Will see what happens.

I need to install new turn signal. Found where they hid or ended the wires when the removed them and put more skulls to cover holes.

Air filter elements are shot. Actually they are so degraded it was falling apart just looking at them.

Plug wires are old.

There is on exhaust heat sheild that I will have to remove the bolts on and replace due to rattling. Other than that everything else looks good. Will replace all fluids soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.