Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

What do you like the most about your 800?

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  chevazon 
#1 ·
Since most of us cant ride at this point and the 800 forum is a little slow. What do you like the most about your 800?

For me, its my 2nd bike and I love that I could find a really nice bike for such a reasonable amount of money, parts are very available and its fairly easy to work on. Also it seems the ergonomics were well done.

Though I am sure its not a great thing to do on a regular basis, flying up and bounching off the rev limiter in 2nd gear is certainly a cheap thrill. It certainly reminds you that the bike is certainly not a Sportster! And that the 800 loves to rev.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Like?

That's a good one. This is my 12th bike (2nd 800a) and I think it has all I want in a bike, so here goes.
1) Great styling and sound.
2) Dependable
3) Customizable
4) Light and easy to handle going slow or fast, and easy to back up in a parking lot
5) Affordable
6) Easy to work on
7) Gas mileage
8) Can go long or short

All my previous bikes had things I liked but this is the only one that, to me, has it all.

#4 ·
Big enough to do 700+ miles a day in reasonable comfort, small enough to be easy to handle at low speeds and backing, not the fastest bike out there, but can run away from bigger cruisers in the corners, easy to work on, very dependable. Lots of afftermarket support to make it easy to make your own. My 1st bike, and looking for something bigger, but intend to keep it till it either falls aprta or I do. Guessing I will before it does. LOL!!

#5 ·
It's my first bike in a very long time, price was right to get reintroduced to riding, however I find that I can't ride any longer than a couple of hours before stopping. Maybe I'm still conditioning myself, if there is such a thing. The bike has good looks, sounds great and easy to work on, I wish it was more comfortable. There are a couple of bike shows coming up, I may look into a new seat.

#7 ·
Skuzz,

If you invest in a new seat, I'm certain your riding comfort level will dramatically improve. I love my Two-piece Mustang Wide Vintage Wide Touring Saddle and could NEVER got back to the stock seat.

Also, a highway sprocket change will take away much of that high RPM "buzz".

#8 ·
Yes I have the Mustang 2pc wide touring seat and would never go back to stock seat, definitely worth the price tag. Still not sure if I want to go highway sprockets just yet but at my cruising speeds I probably should

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
My first bike is an 800VN. I got it July this year (2012) and am able to ride it still at least once a week (Saturday afternoons). I live in NC and the weather is pretty mild (40s - 50s). Right now I dont have a Windshield or Saddlebags. Looking for a good set of both. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Keep safe and enjoy the ride.

Chris

#10 ·
As for windshield I never used one and personally don't like the look of most but my 800B had a set of Willie and Max saddlebags that were nice but too small to fit a jacket so I bought me a nice set of Viking Bags and they haven't given me any problems they are a lot thicker, also came with turn signal relocation bracket and mounts to bolt the bags on

#12 ·
I've had my VN800A for 10 years and still love riding it. It's a great bike and has been super reliable, even with a big guy like me on it (6'3" and on the heavy side). I'm really hoping to get a new bike in the next year or two, but I don't think I'll be getting rid of this one anytime soon.

As far as the windshield, I have a Memphis Shades Sportshield on mine and it's great. I went for a Fats but bought the wrong mounting kid. Long story short, I could return the shield but not the opened mounting kit (hence the Sportshield over Fats). No regrets though, it's been a great shield. I do lots of highway so the shield is a necessity for me.

#13 ·
Nizzo, just curious. Have you had to do anything to the motor yet? How many miles? I've had mine 8 years and have just under 99,000 on it. Looks like will be doing cams, and chains the febuary. Possiblly also rings. Have had mine since new, its an 05.

#14 ·
I have 32k on it (I guess I should have said 'mostly' highway versus 'lots', lol). It's the first bike I've ever owned, so my yearly mileage has been increasing over time. I think last year I did about 7-8k. I work downtown so parking a car is ridiculously expensive and bike parking is cheap/free. Once it starts to warm up a little I ride rain or shine most of the season.

I did a number of things after I bought it new (hypercharger, V&H Cruzers, Metzlers, Mustang seat, Windshield, etc) but not much since. I also did a sprocket change (18/39) to bring RPM's down at highway speeds.

I've not done much of anything with the motor yet aside from basic maintenance (oil changes, etc). I really need to check the valve clearances, which I anticipate I'll knock out once the weather turns a little warmer around here. I figured I'd inspect the chains/etc while I'm in there.

#15 ·
Same here Nizzo, 1st bike, bought new. Open stock pipes, grampsized filter housing, jets, and a couple valve adjustments. Motor wise thats it other than basics, plugs and oil. The rear valve cover is a tight fit getting out, but other wise, if you have much mechanical ability, valves are easy to adjust.

#16 ·
99 A, I picked it up on Ebay as a spontaneous thing but love it.

Mustang 2 piece seat was the single best investment I've made on her. Turned a 45 minute at a time butt buster into an all day smoothie. My ass is worth $400.

I love the lines on these 800's, Kawi did a great job designing these, and they left just enough room to mod them and make them unique to each of us who owns them.

On shields, any shield is better than none, this is the first bike I've owned that had one and I took it off the first day I brought her home. Less than two hours later I put it back on and will never go without one again.

#17 ·
The thing I like most, 1. its a kawasaki, 2. it has lots of power, 3. its easy to mod and make your own.

mine will have 3 setups for this summer, streetglide style with hard bags 2 up seat back rest etc, softtail slim style with bobber fender, black wheels and low bars, and the stock setup as she sits now. a couple of hrs spinnin the wrenches I can go from stock, to clean looking bobber scoot, to long distance tourer.

sorta like my versys, i have a full luggage setup, with big windshield, etc. pull that off and put the stocker with just the bag mounts and she's a hooligan, pop the touring stuff back on and its a multi day adventure bike that will eat miles without question.

#18 ·
I have owned 3 VN800's now. I bought a 95 when they first came out after seeing a commercial of a 800 on TV. I instantly feel in love with the bike and helped Kawasaki sell 4 bike to my friends by throwing them my keys for a few hours.

To me the Vulcan 800 was always the best deal for the money and especially now that theses great bikes are being orphaned & abandoned by owners who are "upgrading" to bigger Kaw's and unfortunately HD's:loser:

The VN800's offer everything I love about bikes: #1..Kawasaki reliability, #2: Style & Sex Appeal, #3: Power-low end torque, #4: ability to customize easily, parts availablity, #5: comfortable ride, etc.

My new project will be my last so this bike will be convertible to different functions/moods/season and what other bike could you accomplish for the money?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.