Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Well I did it...

7K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Pappyman 
#1 ·
So I test drove that 1500 on Tuesday. Didn't get it due to the rust issue.

Been looking all week, searching all over the region for something in my price range and wants. Actually went to three dealerships this morning, one to check out a V2K.

Got home watching football and was researching about a VTX1300 but didn't want the carb, preferring FI. Been searching for Vulcan but for some reason did a search for Nomad today and found one from a week ago. Called the seller and it was still available. Ended up about 20 minutes from my house.

Test drove it, a beautiful bike, well kept it appears. Only item was missing one of the passenger floor boards. The seller didn't even know it was gone.

Questin though...Spec site shows this... Fuel system: Carburettor. DFI with Keihin 46mm Throttle Bodies (2)

Does it have a carb AND FI? A bit confused about that.

Anyway, probably wrap it up next week, should pick up Wednesday. Happy Thanksgiving to me.

See less See more
#5 ·
No offense taken. Not sure where you are getting that value though.

I just checked KBB and see 7340 while nADA site that I referenced prior was 5600-7300 (low to high). My insurance company ran the value also and gave it 6800 based on the ViN. So I'm comfortable with the price.

Just checked cycle trader as well. Dealer nomads going for about 7500 to 8000 asking price, private sellers going for 6 to 7000 asking price in Texas.

Craigslist has several as well 7000+ and one at 5900 with no extras basic stock. So it seems to be in line with this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
I see a luggage rack, F-fender chrome, and top rails on the hard bags.

Maybe, an air box and a headlight cowl?

Scott

#8 ·
Congratulations on your score.
is it a done deal?
You might be able to knock them down a bit on price , as the mileage is a bit higher than most go for that price.
Ultimately it your happiness that is most important.
Beautiful bike

#9 ·
Its fuel injected. Lots of spec sites list carburetor as one of the values since nearly all pre-05ish bikes are carbed. It uses throttle body injection which is a basic form of fuel injection, but it still has all of the advantages. Better fuel economy, smoother throttle response, and easy cold startups.

Doesn't hurt to ask on the price. But at the end of the day, if it's the bike you want at a price your comfortable with? Then that's all that matters. You'll regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did!

Smart choice on sticking with FI. I know a lot of people like carbs, but not me. I just can't give up instant startup, smooth roll on power, and zero maintenance!

#10 ·
Nice looking bike, good luck and happy riding. As for price, that bike has some added chrome, fender tips, headlight cover, top rails on bags, and some more, I like the NOMAD on the front fender too, If you add all the add- ons I think you got a good deal.

#13 ·
Dandy bike...If it is a few hundred too much or too little and it has been well kept, I see no big deal....I sold a pristine 07 Nomad with just 10K miles for $6800 a couple of years ago but it did not have the extra chrome stuff yours does.....

I will check the specs on bike to see if that year has FI, but I feel certain it does.

REgards and enjoy the bike

Bob

#14 ·
Well, so many negative replies and stuff gave me nightmares all week so I pulled out of the deal today. Not sure what direction I'll go now but still bikeless for the time being.

Thanks however for all the thoughts, positive, negative and neutral. Certainly gave me alot to think about.

#15 ·
Ragincajun, don't be turned off by all the comments. I saw a bike that took my eye, but was scared off cause of the age n price then found my Vulcan the next day. I thought it was a bit pricey but with the history of it and it was serviced every summer, I thought it was the deal maker.
Have u offered the seller a price on the bike lower than his asking price?
You never know, if you don't ask.....
Doesn't hurt to try and get the price down as much as possible if ur really keen on the bike....... If they don't budge on the price, do u still think that it's still worth the price and will u be happy paying that price. If everything is YES, then there's nothing else to do but buy it. I'm sure you'll have years of happy riding with this beast :)

#16 ·
I had actually talked that seller down another $400 which wasn't a lot but it was about $1000 under the estimated retail price.

Looked at a v2k yesterday seemed to have some transmission issues when I was riding it and possibly electrical issues as well. I liked the bike in the ride equally with the 1600 but still going to keep looking. Supposed to look at another 1600 today not quite as blinged out which is fine with me, for basically the same price range but a lot less miles. My bike will show up sooner or later.

#17 ·
IMHO, good move backing off.

I got my 06 in May with 3,800 miles for $6,800. Other guys that were new purchasers this year have mostly posted deals I feel were compatible with mine.

The price you are stating is not compatable at 40,000 miles. As I ride a lot, and was buying "miles", I would not have gotten one with that many at any price. But, there are similar ones offered for sale near me at 3,500 to 4,500.

I was looking for almost a year. Be patient. Yes, they are difficult to find.

But, as I work for a company out of the Woodlands, want you to get a good one, for when I visit and borrow it !!!

#18 ·
Id like to thank everyone for their support and help over the last couple of weeks. Your information has been invaluable. I've been open to several bikes, knowing I was limited by what was on the market in used bikes. That said, I've been unable to make a deal on three Nomads (the one that I backed out on for mileage and two couldn't get to a mutual price).

Tonight I put a deposit on a Valkyrie as I got a deal I couldn't pass on. I would have been happy on the Nomad but it wasn't meant to be I suppose.

Special thanks to Smedlin for his ear and input. Hope we can still ride one day together.

Hope I'm still welcome here.

#19 ·
Those Valks are very cool bikes. I test rode or about a month ago. Unfortunately for me, it just didn't fit well. But man talk about smooth and unlimited power...

Of course you're welcome here! We have several Vulcan-less members. It's a great group around here no matter what you ride. Be sure to show us some pics of that Valk. The one I rode was an interstate tour model. What a fantastic ride. It was kinda like a Goldwing and a Harley Ultra Classic had a baby. Definitely wish the ergos were a little better for me because that was a sssweeeet ride.

#23 ·
Nice MC !

I think everyone is welcome here.

But, don't miss the opportunity to join one of the Honda sites. Most "pastime" sites consist of similar helpful people.

I'm active in the forums for, Kawi MC, Personal Watercraft, Snow skiing, and Toyota 4Runners. All have helped me a great deal, and I hope others feel the same about me.

Good Luck !

#27 ·
This guy was asking $5k for his interstate valk. It's got nearly that much in Chrome in it! It's a sweet bike. Has 100,000 miles on it though. But for a GL1500 motor... that's nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.