Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

17 tooth front sprocket questions

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  kfolse107 
#1 ·
I'm considering the 17t sprocket change and have read most of the threads on this. Seems the main drawback is more chain noise. Has anyone ever researched to see if there is an OEM 17-tooth Kawi sprocket with the rubber noise dampers that would work? There are several different aftermarket ones available on ebay if you search "kawasaki vulcan 17 sprocket". Does anyone know if there are differences in any of these that might possibly make one quieter than the others?

#2 ·
I have only found one brand, and it is not Kawasaki, does not have the rubber mated to it, and I think that is what causes the extra noise. I am like you , wish Kawasaki would make one. I have a 17 on my 2009 model, and I don't notice the extra noise, and honestly, have questioned the benefit. these are high RPM engines anyway, and love to run in the 7K range. Reducing the RPM's by about 400-500 really does not change much, just makes us feel better more than anything else.

#3 ·
I haven't found any with the rubber damper either. I was aware of the noise when I first changed to the 17T sprocket, but now I'm either used to the noise or it's quieted down a bit and maybe both. Either way I like the reduced RPM! No regrets!

#4 ·
I have no regrets either. I like the lower rpms at 70mph. I dont think the slight noise difference is noticable to anyone else around me. I wear earplugs anyway to stop the wind noise. Changing the sprocket is a quick, cheap fix and nothing permanent. If you dont like it, you can always change it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.