Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Exhaust studs

12K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Comanche 
#1 ·
Are all 4 exhaust studs the same on the 800? I know a lot of you have but after market exhausts. What success or horror stories do you have with getting those funky allen nuts removed? The ones on the front cylinder on the bike are decently rusted, the rear ones are not OEM and seem to be some random bolts.

I'd like to put new OEM studs and nuts on, both for appearance and to be able to possibly replace the exhaust at some point in the future.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
So Phil, are your headers stock? If so remove the heat guards. Also remove the air box. Front stud /front cylinder is accessible. Rear stud / front cylinder - better with airbox out the way:

Rear stud / rear jug - tight but ok. Front stud / rear cylinder - reverse the allen wrench and use extension bar:

Allen wrench [8mm]:

All 4 studs are the same.

Dave

#3 ·
USE PENITRATING OIL!!!!! Let them soak any again. Had one break off on me. Ended up pulling the motor to get to it to get it out. Luckily it broke off about a 1/4" outside the head. Had to borrow a set of easyouts from a friend of my brother that goes on the outside of the broken stud or bolt. tap it a couple times and it came right out. Had to pull motor because was no room to get wrench on the remover and turn it. Remember also the stud is steel and the head is aluminum. Guess witch one will be damage first, and cost much more. Dont be affraid to oil repeatedly!!

#4 ·
This is certainly my fear with the rusted ones. Having sheared 3 exhaust bolts on my last bike, I am not thrilled with that prospect again. I an suprised that the easy out worked well for you. I ended up having to drill mine out.

#6 ·
Yeah I wish I had a welder, as I took a welding class a few years ago. I would say that what you have isn't OEM.

I am sort of tempted to bring it to someone with a bit more experience and more importantly has the tools necessary.

#8 ·
Well at this point its not really a problem, as I haven't touched them. My gut instinct is to just leave them be. The bike is already 13 years old so its not like I am going to own it forever. I guess it will just remain an ugly spot on the bike. My goal is to have the 800 for at least a few riding seasons and then move on to something much newer.

I will though get some new clamps for this slip ons.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Excellent idea, C50T. Let them do the hard work since they have the tooling to do it all the time and fast for the services they provide.

Do you know what the torque specs are for the exhaust bolts and nuts?

#11 ·
So Phil, have you tried some penetrating spray / soak / leave a couple of hours..repeat...and then tried to loosen one of the studs? If it doesn't move at all...then using heat may be the next option before resorting to cold hard cash.....can you post a pic of that rear bolt?

Dave

#12 ·
I decided to leave them be for now. Actually today I got the bike ready for winter. Since for the forseable future it really won't break much above 40 degrees.

As far as the bolts, the rear ones seem like they will come off somewhat easily when I decide to deal with them. After playing with them the other night they actually got slightly loose and I needed to tighten them today. The rusted OEM ones look like trouble. They really look like they will strip out before they sheer.

I am learning to pick my battles, and not create issues.

#14 ·
That's a good idea Rick. I've never had the patience for this but like they say patience is a virtue. I'll do that next time with something I just don't want to tackle right away since it will help me with procrastinating in doing it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.