Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

What are ya plannin' on doing to your 900 this winter?

23K views 148 replies 75 participants last post by  MidIAVoyager 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd start a little thread here.

Like the title says, got any winter project plans for the 9'er?

#43 ·
Got it today. What luck right? Oh well, at least I didn't have to drive 30 minutes away like if it was UPS not delivering. (They won't leave it at my door, even if I ask them to!), was just up the road this time.

I dunno, fit in the back seat of my Ford Taurus. But these are rural carriers they take their own vehicles, and have large routes. Or, she DID have it in her van, and wasn't interested in lugging it out. I dunno, but I have them now, and they are on, and they look great!

So thank you sir, for quick shipment!

#48 ·
I'm going to wire in a cigarette style outlet to charge my ph. I am checking t see if i can wire it into the headlight and put it in the tool bag on the front my risers. Also looking for a used tach. If anyone sees one or has one, let me know. I have a few parts to trade.

#51 ·
I would have loved to get some more riding in especially since I just bought the bike a little over a month ago but the highs have been in the low 40's and I don't see much improvement in the forecast. When it's only hitting 42 deg. for about 15 minutes around noon my 135 pound butt doesn't do so well. Lost a finger on my left hand and really cold weather is no longer my friend these days. That being said, I just changed out the oil and put some fuel stabilizer in it. The list for other additions this winter is Hard Kore baffles for the dragsters, sissy bar, some kind of windshield/fairing, saddle bags and maybe a rack to add a T-bag at some point.....

#52 ·
Winter projects

In the winter plans when I am not working or riding.
(Central NC weather allows riding every month of the year.)

1. BrakeAway® throttle lock
2. Givi® 46 L trunk
3. Rivco® mirrors with turn signals
4. Voyager® trike kit (while I am still working--for when I get old enough to need it).

Already have Corbin Beetle Bags®, Cobra® crash bar, trailer hitch, Iso Grips®, Kury low mount driving lights, and Russel Day Long® saddle.

#53 ·
Lowered it 2inches, during the last mini cold front...no to do some more riding. Never really gets to cold to ride in Northwest Florida.

#55 ·
Definitely not riding, it has been stored away and on the tender for almost a month already. We already have about 30cm (1 foot) of snow and have seen the temperature get into the -20C (-4F).
I might have a manjina for that, but at least it's a toasty manjina.

#56 ·
Depends on the weather. Snow, I cover her up with her blanket and wait. Sun, I ride. Temperature is not an issue.. Dress warm, just like mom use to tell me....YES MOM! I have my long-johns and scarf on!!! Sheeesh.. If it's a long wet winter, paint....

#57 ·
I'd like to add an led tail lite and turnsignals, a different seat, probably a solo, and make a new cover for the coils. Maybe make a mount for some hiway pegs.

#58 ·
I installed an Fi2000r before I parked it.
I will be adding a Mustang Seat, should be here tomorrow. I'm getting a Mustang sissy bar pad, white front turn signal lenses, red rears. Hopefully highway pegs, a liscence plate frame light with a personalized plate with my initials. In the late winter early spring I will be getting my cracked front fender fixed and painted. Missing riding every step along the way....

#59 ·
I plan on riding mine and freezing my butt off. And I am going to add driver floorboards.

#61 ·
Make sure to post a picture when you do. I'd love to see that.

#63 ·
Got the tach after selling some parts to a forum member. Went w the drag specialties black face.
Also found some awesome cable cover tubing cheap. Its mylar and chrome. I'll be putting on the tach and covering cables in the next couple weeks. Here is a link to the cable site.
http://gcs.cableorganizer.com/?q=BS025CHR

#65 ·
Hatchcover, please let us know how the painting goes. I have some bad scratches fr my seat that i may want to paint. Same color as yours.

#67 ·
Woot! Yes! I finally got my fuel map dialed in on my 900 v & h fuelpak. Lot's of ba@@s and almost no popping. Now on to other projects. I have a tach waitin in the box!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#69 ·
Summer time here

Well, I hate to be a spoil sport ....
but it's pretty damn warm over here. (under here ..?)
Most of Australia does not see snow at all so we can ride relatively comfortably all year round. It does get chilly in some parts but nothing that a good jacket and heated grips wouldn't fix.
I rode yesterday through the Royal National Park. It's a favourite sunday ride for the all the boys outa Sydney. I estimate I saw well over 100 bikes go through; all the major food groups were there, sporties, cruisers, young and old.
So we do not really have a down time, or off season.
Pretty happy about that.
But I do enjoy reading what you are all up to.

Attachments

#70 ·
Well, I hate to be a spoil sport ....
but it's pretty damn warm over here. (under here ..?)
Most of Australia does not see snow at all so we can ride relatively comfortably all year round. It does get chilly in some parts but nothing that a good jacket and heated grips wouldn't fix.
I rode yesterday through the Royal National Park. It's a favourite sunday ride for the all the boys outa Sydney. I estimate I saw well over 100 bikes go through; all the major food groups were there, sporties, cruisers, young and old.
So we do not really have a down time, or off season.
Pretty happy about that.
But I do enjoy reading what you are all up to.
Yeah but you're in the southern hemisphere, which as I understand it makes you 'backwards'. Your toilets flush the other way and it gets warmer there when it gets colder here!

One of my best friends lives in New Zealand and he gets snow in July, and they usually go to the beach and swim and barbecue on Christmas!

#71 ·
This is true. Many things happen backwards down here; our toilets, hurricanes, seasons, politics ...

New Zealand is a little lower down the latitudes than where I am, so it gets regular snow in the winter.
N.Z is one of those places that was actually built for motorcycle riding.
Uh-huh. You read it right. The only reason N.Z South island was invented was for people to ride motorcycles on it The roads ... the scenery ... the roads .....

Here in Oz, we have a pretend little NZ.
It's called Tasmania. An island off the south edge of Australia.
Absolutely brilliant riding roads and scenery that is beyond spectacular.
Damn shame you fellas a little far away to just pop over and have a look ...
It's warm here. Did I mention that ..?

#72 ·
I've got access to a Bass boat, wonder how much gas I'd need to load on to get down there? Wonder if it'll float with my 900 on it?

#74 ·
storing the bike for the long hard winter tomorrow,but I did receive and install my Matazu batwing, I tested it last thursday in 10c windy weather It exceded my expectations I made the bottom mounts and used some flat steel braces to chrome tachometer handle bar clamps altogether with hardware this batwing cost me $150. I tried to post pik but didnt work sorry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.