Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Where do you mount your smartphone?

7K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  washbord 
#1 ·
Where do you folks mount your smartphone on a vulcan? I am trying to decide between a tank bag with a window on top (if used as GPS), or a handlebar mount. If possible, give your opinions on items and model information. thanks

#2 ·
I don't mount anything to my bike that takes away from paying attention to the road or causes me to take both hands off the bars. I have a Galaxy S3 with an app and bluetooth headset that does it all for me via audio instructions so I can leave the phone in the bag or my pocket and I never have to do anything else except pre-program my route before I start out.

#3 ·
smartphone

I would guess that the iphone 5 should be capable of that also. I hope. Now it's up to me to figure out how to do it. LOL! Do you recommend any specific bluetooth headset? thanks for the info.

#6 ·
I stick mine in my pocket. But I don't stop to answer it unless somebody calls half a dozen times in a row. Riding time is my, separate from the rest of the world time.

#7 ·
Not to be smart or anything, but, if we complain about Cagers being distracted while being on the phone, while driving, how do we justify being exempt from also being distracted? My phone says in my pocket on vibrate. If it rings several times in a short period I will stop, take a break and review and return call(s) if needed. JMHO

#8 ·
I've got my ram mount on the handle bar. Think it is called "Ram". Bought it at Bass Pro. 4 little spring loaded spider arms. Was skeptical at first, but had to lay the bike down the other day and it held the phone perfectly. Highly recommended, cost about $50.
I like mine mounted where I can see who's calling in because my Atrix automatically answers if I have my Bluetooth headset on. If it's someone I don't want to talk to I just remain quite and let them listen to the wind until they give up.

#9 ·
Mine is in my pocket. The only reason I ever carry it when I am riding for pleasure is so that if the worst case scenario happens the authorities can call ICE (In Case of Emergency) and get my wife. Other than that everybody who knows me I will return calls after my riding experience is over.

#10 ·
I don't have a smartphone, I have a stupid one. But I leave mine on my belt holster and linked up with my Scala Rider in my helmet. You can answer/reject/place calls with one button on the helmet and the rest is voice commands. If I am riding to get away I don't sync it but If I am on my way to work I have it on and synced.

#12 ·
I used a handlebar mount for awhile, but took it off as I never bothered with the phone once mounted - why have something else stuck on the bike? I do sync my Sena SMH10 headset with it most of the time. I can answer the phone if I want to, talk hands-free, and listen to my selection of 45GB of tunes. That should last awhile! Galaxy S III.

#13 ·
I use a RAM mount with the universal phone mount. I also have a power port mounted between the risers.

I use my phone for GPS and music while I ride, so it's good to have power handy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
I keep my iPhone in my pocket connected via bluetooth to my helmet intercom. If and when the phone rings (rare) one touch on the intercom button on the side of helmet and there you go. If the wife happens to be talking to me at the time (passenger) she gets disconnected until the call ends and reconnects to her automatically and she never knows the difference. Ha!

#15 ·
Also keep mine in my pocket.
I use a Cardo ScalaRider G9 Comm system in the helmet. Bluetooth compatible.
For longer trips I use the phone for turn by turn navigation through the bluetooth system and the comm speakers in my helmet. Never have to look down at a screen. You just listen for instructions. It will interrupt the built in FM radio each time a nav aid comes up.
It has FM radio built into it that will search and auto add 6 radio stations with the strongest signal in any surrounding area.
Will also link to a bluetooth compatible Ipod for music should you choose.
Recieve, call or redial phone calls at the touch of a button.
Up to 8 additional riders can be added for bike to bike communications.
Almost everything is controlled either by voice command or buttons. Super easy and intuitive.

#16 ·
I have a tank bib with a little pouch it sits in. Inside that pouch is a charger for my phone, which connects to a TAPP lite 12v USB adapter, it's all waterproof. The phone isn't, but the charger and wiring is completely sealed so as long as I take my phone out and put it somewhere that doesn't get wet, I'm golden.

Can't see it, but you don't really need to. I have a bluetooth headset in my helmet that my wife and I use to communicate, it also works great for listening to music through the iPhone or for getting voice turn by turn with the GPS.

At one time I had it mounted on the bars, but you can't see the map in bright sunlight, the phone gets hot, it's just a pain. Works better this way.

#17 ·
pocket, and i dont answer calls when im on the bike. wish i could get by with a pager, but there are no more pay phones anywhere. looking into building a small jammer to shut down all cell phones withing a 50m radius of my bike. we used them downrange on our trucks, so i know its possible. drunk or texting cager is my least favorite game to play on the bike.

#19 ·
Every MRAP has one, but you can't - at least legally. My understanding is that it is a federal offense to jam signals. Quick way to shoot a military career in the butt!

Sidebar, you still at Campbell?

#18 ·
I have always thought that was a bad idea. I mean if you are in a place that has cell service and then all of a sudden their phone quits working. Tell me how many people are going to be looking down at their phone turning in on and off, pulling batteries, beating it,... trying to get them to work again. I just think it would be an even bigger distraction. I am not justifying phone usage and driving but I figured that is the lesser of the 2 evils.

#20 ·
Dont need a cell service if you have the right GPS program. (maps stored on phone) Basically jsut using the GPS chip and processor the Nav. And maybe some tunes on the phone too!

Samsung GS3 with 64gb sd card.

#24 ·
Okay, I'm a little bit old school with this cell phone stuff - back in the day when we had bikes that were prone to break down & NEEDED a phone, we didn't have them & we survived. I do take mine with me though ( a dumb-phone) in my saddlebag just for emergency usage or to let my wife know that the short ride I planned will really be longer, lol ! Personally, I am not in favor of any more distractions for me, or cagers OR other bikers while riding. I guess the advantage of GPS & internet access could be nice, but I also have maps for directions & usually plan my route before leaving.

Ride safe, watch out for idiots & God Bless

#25 ·
Okay, I'm a little bit old school with this cell phone stuff - back in the day when we had bikes that were prone to break down & NEEDED a phone, we didn't have them & we survived. I do take mine with me though ( a dumb-phone) in my saddlebag just for emergency usage or to let my wife know that the short ride I planned will really be longer, lol ! Personally, I am not in favor of any more distractions for me, or cagers OR other bikers while riding. I guess the advantage of GPS & internet access could be nice, but I also have maps for directions & usually plan my route before leaving.

Ride safe, watch out for idiots & God Bless
+1. That is what I do. I find that planning trips using a paper map is part of the fun. I keep a laminated US highway map in my bags at all times and in the house I keep the more detailed area maps that I plan with and only take the ones I need at that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.