Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Weak points

11K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  Romans5.8 
#1 ·
Besides stator, what are other weaknesses you have noticed on the 900?

#3 ·
Hi,

The only weakness I have noticed has been in design. The 2009 Vulcan has two grease nipples on the bottom of the frame. I have sheared one off going over a construction zone temporary water line bump. Kind of like a speed bump built to protect the temporary line. Pretty sure that is where contact is made, cause I was not aware when it actually occurred. Other than that has been a great bike with about 36,000 KMS on it.

#4 ·
That is a design weakness, but it's not insurmountable. With the grease zerks on, give it a shot of lube, then remove the zerks and replace them with some stainless steel button head hex head screws. Keep the zerks and the next time you feel the need to add some grease, it's an easy job to remove the button head screws, replace the zerks, shoot some grease into the swing arm pivot, take out the zerks and put the screws back in. It's not like you have to do this very often. Sure beats the hassle of trying to remove a broken off grease zerk!

#5 ·
It's hard to really find fault with this bike. If I had to name any one thing I guess I would like either a 6th gear or lower r's at the 65 - 70 mph range. But with that said, I had the same issue with a 2000 Wing that I had, always searching for that 6th gear. There are a of posts on this topic but both the pulley swap or larger rear tire both seem to have some drawbacks. I guess the Kawi engineers have built it the way it needs to be, and it's they're not all that far off.

#6 ·
Well the 'cons' of the bike are totally subjective and really depend on what you want to do. There are not many, it's a fantastic bike. For me? Lower revs on the highway would be nice. I remedied the cruddy seat with a good aftermarket one.

Not all stators fail early. I tend to think there might have been a 'bad batch', because lots of people go a really long time without replacing them. As far as reliability, these are rock solid. Look through the 900 forums. You aren't going to find threads about timing chain slack, compression tests failing, or any sorts of other major engine failures. Yet, there are LOTS of these machines with 50k miles + on them. 'weak' doesn't describe this bike. There are reasons why some of us really love them, and reasons why others don't like them. But they are certainly rock solid reliable machines.

#7 ·
The only negative I have with my 09 Custom is the front tire.
To me it's just too narrow. It seems to look for road grooves to slip into.
I'll swap it out for something a little wider on the next tire.
Other than that, I love this bike!:)

#10 ·
Stick a classic front wheel on there! :p

#11 ·
The stock seat !!!! (replaced it with a Mustang - and happy like a pig in the mud):D
still missing the 6th gear on the Hwy :confused:
the stock Dunlops are crap !! (replaced with Metzeler - lots better)

apart from that ..... 32500 km's and I'm still a happy chappy !!:D:D

Cheers from downunder

#13 ·
My 2007 Classic LT has 70K miles and going strong. I have just replaced the clutch kit. Other than doing maintenance on a regular basis it has been a great bike. I had to replace the stator because of my fault adding an alarm system and shroing out the system. The current stator has around 50K on it. I plan on keeping the bike and just replace worn stuff as I need to. This winter, I am changing the belt, fork oil and springs, rebuild the brakes and other minor stuff. I am told by a dealer we should get 150K miles easy out of the engine. We shall see.
Like everyone mentioned a new seat is a must. The 6th gear is not too big of a issue for me as I like to primarily travel back roads anyway. I did add a mechanical cruise control for those have to rides on the interstates. Keep that shiny side up! :D

Attachments

#18 ·
One of the biggest weaknesses I've seen is its inability to stop sucking money out of my wallet. Every time I look, I have less and less cash and the bike seems to be decorated with more doodads.

Really, though, in almost 11k miles I've had to replace one turn signal bulb. The rest was all routine maintenance or optional stuff like a new seat, new tires, and other comfort items. I didn't buy it to race which is good because a barn burner it ain't, but it's still fun and easy to ride.

#19 ·
+1 on the money pit. But it is fun and keeps me sane.

#22 · (Edited)
When you look at the price tag you get alot of new bike for the $. Very versatile and fits a huge range of riders. Many cosmetics and add ons are rider preferences... It's hard to find a biker that doesn't keep adding to his/her ride.

Do to the popularity of the bike, it's got loads of available accessories. All and all, very reliable.

If I was to peg what seems to be the most consistent big draw back stand out amongst most of us:

Noisy
High Revs
Missing sixth gear/OD
Seat
Speedo

I find it comforms to it's name...cruiser..and as such has "roll on" acceleration. I've had no "major" mechanical desastors.

I've added Front & Rear pulleys (user preference) which have dramatically changed the performance to the bike for the better.

Great on gas...

Nice performer...and yes the $ add-ons just keep coming...at least they don't break the bank!

#23 ·
+1 on the money pit. I paid $7,800 for a new 2010 Classic LT and within 3000 miles have sunk $2,800 into accessaries. Best additions were the Mustang seat and the Scootworks front pully. Intend to put the ovesize rear tire on next. One other issue I had was the windshield was two high - had to cut it down three inches.

#25 ·
This thread makes me happy. As a first time bike owner, I don't know anything different but I like this. I'm big - 6'3" tall and 260 lbs - and while I'd like a little more leg room, I understand that this - like most cars - will never be overly roomy. I feel good on it and could probably "zone in" for a couple hours on the open road with no problem. A stretch to get gas would suffice.

Most important, it's fun and it looks awesome. Seriously - I'm a big fan of understated looks. I'm not a peacock - I don't want to draw a ton of attention to my plumage. I think Harley's can be over the top and the Harley lifestyle is a turn-off to me. No-thank-you to the shirts, vests, beard, leather, tats, and other wearable marketing. I think Hondas can be cool, but they paint their logo all over the tank. I'm not a billboard for your brand name, thank you. Shadows have a nice shape, but a huge logo draws the eyes. It loses for me. Triumphs are OK, but get mixed reviews. Victories are nice. The Vulcan is the classic cruiser to me.

Vulcans have a classic shape and look. The logo is tastefully done. Mine is Debadged and you'd never know what bike it is unless you really knew bikes. I love a bike that looks like a bike. I don't want to ride a peacock like a Hayabusa, no matter how awesome the engine. Same with Harley - I don't want to immediately be thought of as a HOG. I like a motorcycle shaped motorcycle, and for me that's a classic cruiser.

Simple, understated, sexy, seductive. She doesn't need to draw attention to herself. If you want to know more about her, it's up to you to walk up and get to know her. She won't tell you her ride - you have to guess it. Oh yeah, she's a bitch, but a helluva ride.

#36 ·
#32 ·
I have a problem with the 'cc' rule. It's really no measure, there are so many variables. The 900 is so much heavier AND bigger than some bikes that are actually bigger engine wise than it is.

I guess I don't notice getting blown around except in severe wind, but on my wifes bike (750 honda) I surely do. That bike is 1/3 the weight and feels 1/3 the size, yet it is 84% the displacement of the VN900!

Don't disagree with the gearing thing. Although it's not necessarily a 6th gear, so much as a lower gear ratio. Lots of 5 speed bikes rumble along on the highway. Doesn't bother me, but I could see how it might bother others.

#30 ·
V-Rider - I intend to replace the rear tire with a 200/70, either Bridgestone or Pirelle. There are a number or really good threads on the forum regarding rear tire size. One of the treads had the following information - can't remember which one but I copied it. At 60 mph

Tire size stock rpm rpm with scootworks pulley
180/70-15 (stock) 3511 3304
170/80-15 3403 3203
200/70-15 3362 3164

I have the front Scootworks pully and love it.

#31 ·
well you could always gain 100lbs... or fill the saddlebags with lead.....

#33 ·
Ok, I've got to agree with Romans on all 3 points. Ignoring weight for a moment, @ 6'0"I don't fit comfortably on a V-star 1100. My knees interfere with the handle bars, but I've got bags of room on my 9er. So you can't go by cc's for size either.

Although there have been times I've had to lean into the wind, I've never felt like I was being pushed around on the road. This is the heaviest bike I've owned but I never really felt pushed around on anything but maybe my TwinStar 125.

The 6th gear thing really puzzles me. Maybe it's because this is the only V twin I've owned. I've ridden distances @ 80+ mph and never felt like the engine was straining to keep up. I admit I occasionally shoot for 6th gear, but when I had a 6 speed I was constantly shooting for 7th. Heck, I look for 6th when I'm doing 40mph through town. If I had a 10 speed I'd be looking for 11th!

The stator is the only problem I've had in 30k miles. That fried at 21K but it was a simple and affordable repair; if you don't go OEM any way.

The only thing about this bike (07Custom) that I would say is a weakness is the seat. I did all right on the stock seat but my wife couldn't ride 10 minutes on the back. Of course the Custom is really set up as a solo (she had never ridden with me before I bought this bike) so I can't speak to the Classic seat. It certainly looks more comfortable than mine. But it seems like most owners replace that one too.

#35 ·
Interesting thread here. I'm a long time Harley rider and currently have a 2005 Electra Glide Classic. I plan to keep it and perhaps buy a 900 Classic LT for part time use (long story).

Anyway, the Vulcan 900 seems (based on what I've read on this forum) to be about what I'm looking for in a second bike. I've also been wondering what problems, if any, typically occur with the 900 once it gets 20K or more miles on it. This thread seems to indicate that there are few, if any, problems associated with moderate to high mileage Vulcan 900's.

My EGC has 33K miles on it but it had 23K miles on it when I bought it. I've had zero problems with it. I just put a new set of tires on it which was kind of expensive, but I don't mind doing routine maintenance or replacement of parts that you expect to wear out. I just don't like having those huge unexpected repair bills. Fortunately, I've had none and had none in my 8 or 9 previous Harleys.

So I gather that a 2009 Vulcan Classic LT in decent shape with 8K to 10K miles on it shouldn't be anything to be concerned about as far as purchasing it....... assuming it's priced right, of course. Any guestimates as to what an 09 with say 10K miles would be worth?

Thanks.

#37 ·
Should be able to get it around $5k.

As far as issues, if anything, the Stator fails on some around 15-50k miles (More on '06 and '07 models though). It's an expensive repair, BUT, if you do it yourself, it's under $200. It's not very hard to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.