Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

What do you think caused this??

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  AZPoseur 
#1 ·
Fellow riders:

I put a set of Pirelli's on 3000 miles ago on my Vulcan 500. I took the front tire off yesterday to put a new tube in cuz it's loosing 5 lbs. a week. (tube is 7 years old.) I noticed this on the tire, and is/on several places on the front tire as well on the rear tire. What do you think caused this? When I have the tube replaced I'm going to ask if it's safe to run these tires.

Thanks, Dan

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Joel.............but I don't see any leaking around the battery, or the tube that leads down. I put some of that tire foam about a month ago and did'nt notice it then. I can't imanage tire foam would do that. Crazy thing is it's on both tires, & both sides.

#4 ·
Ok, I know you are going to want to put me in a rubber room. But what about a critter. Mouse or Chipmonk, something like that. We had a travel trailer a few years ago and one weekend we get to the park and I turn on the propane. Start hearing gas escaping. Follow the hose to an area where some little critter had chewed a hole. Did not cover a big area, but managed to nip the center. The picture looks like mostly "thick scratches" in a generally up and down direction. When I replaced the propane hose the guy told me it happens enough that he was not suprised. Seems like there must be some "smell" that attracts the critter and they chew away. Who knows somebody may have worked on your bike right after lunch of something.
Anyway, don't know but a close look may be able to determine melting rubber (chemical) versus removed rubber (mechanical or dental). Good luck

#9 ·
Hate to say it, but now that its been mentioned, does look more like burning by something HOT like a soildering iron. Any resent enimies, or an ex maybe? May want to do a complete inspection before you ride for awhile. Hate to think of this possibility!

#11 ·
Everyone has enimies, I think, but no "ex's" to contend with. The bike is garage kept, so I don't think anyone got in there with a hot iron although it is looking more & more like that. I wrote & sent a pic to Pirelli...they said it looks like a problem in shipping when I got the tire. Problem is they were ok when I got them.

After futher inspection, there are 3 other spots on the front tire just like the pic.........and probably 6 spots like that on both sides of the rear tire. Do you guys think I should replace the tires?

#10 ·
You said you took the tire off, and the 500 has exhaust on both sides. Any possibility you bumped the tire against hot exhaust or scraped it on something pulling it off?

#12 ·
Romans....I just took the front tire off, not the rear...yet. No chance of scraping on the front tire, or exhaust burning. I would hate to replace both tires with just 3000 miles on them, but I also don't want them blowing up on me doing 65mph.

#13 ·
i will give you a piece of advice that could save your life NEVER EVER EVER put any kind of shiny stuff (foam, slime, armor all ) on an mc tire !!!!

#16 ·
ding ding ding ding!

Is it possible the welding slag and such had bounced up off of concrete or off of things and hit the tire? I mean that sounds like the perfect scenario to fit here. Hot bits of metal and what not slapping up against the tire. Not long enough to light it up or anything like that, but long enough to melt a chunk of it!

#17 ·
ding ding ding ding!

Is it possible the welding slag and such had bounced up off of concrete or off of things and hit the tire? I mean that sounds like the perfect scenario to fit here. Hot bits of metal and what not slapping up against the tire. Not long enough to light it up or anything like that, but long enough to melt a chunk of it!
If I had to place a bet, it would be with Romans5.8 ! :eek:
I just remembered how my truck tire looked after welding in the garage...:eek:

#18 ·
My first thought was burning. Made more sense than anything else. Sounds like you figured it out. Lesson learned, plus it is good to know it isn't someone out to get you.

Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean no one is out to get me.

#20 ·
safety

I was out riding about three weeks ago and was well out into the less populated area. It occurred to me when I stopped to rest my buns that I was pretty alone out there, and unarmed. There was traffic, but not much, just enough to make you feel vulnerable. I decided a little extra insurance along the next trip would be a good idea. At least my Model 21.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.