Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

900 lt to 1700 need input

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Blockhead 
#1 ·
looking at moving from 900LT to Vaquero or Nomad need to know the issues I may run across. Wife and I love the 900 but 2 up long distances pulling trailer takes its tole not the most comfortable and thats really what I'm looking at something we can get on and ride comfortably for a couple hours at a stretch putting miles down we have tested the voyager and the closeness of driver and passenger is tight Looking for pros and cons thanks

#2 ·
hi mid
we have done the same upgrade except we bought the voyager and love it 1700 out handles and performs better ,fully adjustable rear suspension ,lots of storage,change pipes and heaps of grunt
down side
around town a little thirsty on fuel compared to 900 but open road as good as the 900 or better

#3 ·
I've had my Vaquero for 13 months, and after 14,000 miles and I love it. The stock seat will NOT be loved by any passenger on rides longer than 20 minutes. You will NEED another seat. I got the Kawasaki Touring Gel seat; at first it seems too firm, but after several long day-rides it feels fine now. The passenger seat, while much better than the stock, still has my lady getting squirmy on long rides. Also, it sits you about 2" higher than the stock seat. So get the seat BEFORE you get a taller windshield. I bought the Kaw 12" shield first, and it was perfect. Then I got the Touring seat, and the windshield suddenly shrunk 2"!! Damn, now I need the 14" windshield. I also pull a trailer. I have a PiggyBacker cargo trailer and a Bunkhouse camper. It pulls both with ease. Pulling the camper faster than 60 mph will drop your mpg's equal to the increase in mph. Raising my speed from 55mph to 65mph decreased my mpg from 46 to 36.
If I could go back in time a year I might get the Voyager instead, for the seat and the trunk. Also, no need to spend another $500+ for a passenger backrest. If the seating is too close for comfort though, the Vaquero may be a good alternative.

#4 · (Edited)
I have had my Vaquero year and half and only 9300 miles tryed the gel touring set still have it. It for sale cheap bought the mustang seat the wife and I love it I wish I'd got the driver backrest though. Bought a 16in sheild for the gel set it is for sale also went with 14in after mustang seat. Have no dought it will pull a trailer no prob we don't. Vaq loves to run 75 mph down the highway I only get to do that by myself. Most of the time 60-65 with the wife if I had it to do over I think I would have went with the nomad more options for the money. Ride them both twice or more before you buy I have just lately been looking at the triump thunderbird. Its a sharp bike lots of options don't know about pulling a trailer with it did not check on that. Buy all said I'll stay with my Vaquero have it just the way I want it. Hope some of this makes sence been up all night working.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input so far. The wife and I dont do alot of long trips 1 or 2 year, but I want to do more. For 90% of the riding we do the 900 is perfect and she really likes the style and color (white and titanium) and have painted trailer to match but after 4-5 hours on the road pulling trailer at 65-70 in 5th gear were about done. Even with the mustang seat and stopping every hour or so. When you want to get someplace thats 12-14 hours away taking 3-4 days bites into the vacation time. We have showroom rode the Voyager and the Nomad both dont allow any space between driver and pasanger (wife and I are on the plump side) and the Vaquero would definatly have to have a different seat and backrest but wondering what room that would give us also

#6 ·
I have a 900 as well as a 1700, both Classic LTs. The 900 just did not cut the mustard with regards to long distance and 2-up riding. The saddle on the 1700 is much nicer, and I dont mind it one bit, even on long rides....but the wife hates it, so we need to replace it at some point soon.

From a ride standpoint, I love the 6th gear, and I hardly notice the 2nd rider at all.

From a solo (non-freeway) standpoint, the 900 is a blast to ride. I love it still and take it out when I am running around town, or hitting the back roads.

The Classic LT vs Nomad is gonna be pretty much identical, though the Nomad has some nice bells and whistles for longer rides. The Voyager or Vaquero is going to be a pretty different riding experience and you may have to specifically check those out to see if they are what you are looking for.

#7 ·
Mid
back from a nap the wife thinks theres plenty of room between us on the vaq I had a welder add 4 in to the back rest and powercoated it gloss black. Wife likes it alot better and more room to put stuff on the luggage rack. If you lived close i'd let you and the wife take it for a ride. Plus on the vaq you get air shocks along with 4 rebound settings I know we have no problem going tank to tank 200 miles between stops. I dont think the vaq would have any problem pulling a trailer 75-80 down the road the way mine is set up. I would guess between 37 and 40 mpg doing it. just my two cents worth.

#9 · (Edited)
Would agree with a lot that has been said here. If you plan on doing a lot of highway miles with a passenger the Nomad or a Vaquero with an aftermarket seat and back rest is a big upgrade from the 900 when you factor in features like overdrive gear, standard seating position, and cruise control. I wish I could have kept my 900 for blazing the twisties & back roads but longer trips are much definitely more enjoyable on my Nomad.

#10 ·
the ultimate solution woulld be to keep the 900LT and add the Vaquero to the stable but I cant seem to convince the better half of that this is he time of year the dealers need to sell but its not always the best time to test drive 18 degrees this AM I may be waiting for warmer weather thanks for ghte input any other coments are always welcome

#11 ·
I made the same switch. Went from a 900 LT to a nomad. Best thing I could have done. The 900 was a great bike, but there is no replacement for displacement. The nomad rides so much better, the power speaks for itself. I didn't find the handling to be that much different. At times I feel the nomad is better even with the weight difference. It's a well balanced bike all around. Do it you won't regret it. The only big difference will be gas mileage. You will only get mid to upper 30 mpg.

#12 ·
900LT to Voyager

I just went from the 900 to the Voyager. I can't say about other 1700's but I love the Voyager thus far. Only have a few hundered miles on it but the difference between it and the 900 is remarkable. The 900 was fun but for any longer ride I can see the Voyager is going to be well worth it. I haven't gotten my wife on the Voyager yet but maybe in the spring when it warms up.

#13 ·
We'll we did it we purchased a new 2013 Voyager. After looking for over a year the local dealer, Struthers Brothers in Des Moines made us a deal we couldn't turn down. They are bringing it in from another dealer to get us the color we wanted silver and white the same color as the 900lt we traided in and ithe Voyager will still match the Piggybacker trailer we painted to match the 900. Thanks for all the input it's been a long time coming.

#14 ·
Well Seeing that you traded it in already, the only thing I have to say is Congratulations on the new ride. Oh wait...I do have something to add! I also traded my LT a year ago this month for my Vaquero, that was the easy part. The hard part is looking at it while it sets in your garage for about 4 months waiting for spring wishing you could ride it. lol!

By the way you know how it is here on the forums...We need to see some pics or it didn't really happen. lol! Once again Congratulations!

#17 ·
have had my vaquero for 16 months and have added alot of stuff and i love it.. best ride i ever been on . i dont like the mustang seat.. to wide and pulls my hips out ..so im looking at the get seat. winters here and im dreaming of it, thinking of new upgrades to buy over the winter. by far you cant go wrong with the vaquero or the voyager..you'r going to love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.