Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

saddlebag lights for Voyager?

11K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  azvaquero 
#1 ·
Has anyone added lights to their saddlebags (Voyager or Nomad, etc.)? I'd like to add extra running lights (ideally run-brake lights) for when I ride without the top trunk. Thanks.

#3 ·
I installed these LED's on the back of my saddlebags...

Here they are as additions to the tailite...

And as brake lites...

They deffinitally brighten up my behind. I also wired them in so they are on when the ignition switch is in the assessory position so when I am sitting at a raised bridge or railroad crossing I will have some lights on in the back.

RACNRAY

#5 ·
Pics? Gotta see pics!!

#9 ·
Racnray, do they have 2 set of LEDs in one housing, or do they get brighter for the brakes from higher amp draw?

The LED's are a 3 wire design. One wire for the running lites (dimmer lite), another for the brake lites (brighter lite) and a ground wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Nice, Ray!
Ray -- nice job. The problem for me is that the Voyager's saddlebags have no flat surfaces on the back like the Vaq -- compound curves everywhere, and I am very hesitant to drill large holes in them.

Twowheeladdict -- got pics and part numbers?
Thanx guys, they are small but really help make the skoot more noticeable even in the daylite.

Yea, i particularly didn't want to drill holes in my bags, but the base of the lights have a nice thick rubber gasket to seal out water, i silicne sealed inside the bags with silicone, ran the wires along side the bottom edge of the rubber mat and siliconed the wires to the bag, then on the outside used a quick-disconnect. Took lots of time but well worth it.

RACNRAY

#8 ·
Ray -- nice job. The problem for me is that the Voyager's saddlebags have no flat surfaces on the back like the Vaq -- compound curves everywhere, and I am very hesitant to drill large holes in them.

Twowheeladdict -- got pics and part numbers?

#10 ·
I'm running red 12" led strips between the rear chrome spacers and bags on my nomad. It adds visibility but don't think they would be bright enough to replace the turn signals if that is what you are looking to do.

#12 ·
That video made me think of watching my computer monitor flicker. I can see the flicker when it is set at 60Hz. I keep mine set up a bit higher than that because it gives me a headache if i have to look at it all day. But as for the lights I like the idea. Almost tempted to get a set myself.

#13 ·
Thanks Twowheeladdict! -- that is the kind of thing I'm looking for to add some lights and avoid drilling holes.

Did you put the extensions on because you have a trailer hitch, or just to get the turn signals farther apart? It is an interesting mod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.