Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

What do you use for head / eye protection?

• Full helmet

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • Partial helmet with goggles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No helmet, goggles

• No goggles, sunglasses

• Partial helmet, sunglasses

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Partial helmet, no eye protection

• Naked as the day I was born

What do you use for protection?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Ghost 
#1 ·
How do you protect yo'self so you don't wreck yo'self?

#2 ·
Where is the 3/4 helmet option with visor? That's what I use.

#3 ·
Well there are a million combinations. I use a full helmet with eye protection (safety glasses or safety sunglasses). That way I can pop the visor open (like if it fogs up or when it's warm) without getting beaned in the eyeball by a bug.

#4 ·
Same deal, Full face with either clear or sun glasses so I can flip the shield if I want.

#5 ·
I wear a variety but minimum is a 1/2 helmet with safety sunglasses all the way to my full face. I always have sunglasses in my saddle bags if I want to run visor up.

Then again, I have the LT with windshield and am short so I am not as concerned about eye impact protection as those taller and/or without shields.

#8 ·
I've got the tall shield too. It's rare, but I do get a splat of a bug that flies juuust right and hits my visor/sunglasses. It rarely ever happens, but it happens enough for me to warrant wearing SOMETHING over my eyes.

The biggest problem though, is dust and small particles and things getting in your eyes!

#7 · (Edited)
My protection and insurance is a locking front fork shotgun tube with a Mossberg 930 inside of it and my dual shoulder strapped 1911A1's. Not kidding. This is Arizona so we can roll that way.

As for "riding gear" it depends on where I'm at and where I'm going.

#9 ·
OK Comanche!!

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!:cool:

JK:D

But, that shotgun tube is something I would like to see!

Think I could fit my SKS in there???!:D
I would like to find a way to take my long guns to the range; while on my bike.

Scott

#14 ·
Scott,

I had a friend CNC an adjustable lateral mount that adapts to and fastens to the top tree area of a motorcycle, ATV/Quad for a BSR ELS-300 with inserts that I picked up at an auction. That way the shotgun or rifle can be mounted in the same plane and direction as the handlebars as well as balanced there so handling and steering are NOT affected. Of course, since my tube was used I also had to make a few minor mods to it so it would fit my 930.

This "tube" as I call mine (which is really a multi-weapon locking rack system that complies with the law) might fit your SKS so I did you a favor and called the company to see if there is an "insert" that adapts specifically for your SKS so all you have to do is mount it to your bike in the way that suits you. The base mount of the rack can be mounted to a flat or rounded surface. I'll let you know what I find out from that company as soon as they call me back.

=====================

The SKS Babe is an Optional Accessory. :D
I am going to have to check out those new accessories; I didn't see ANYTHING like that when I was outfitting my SKS.:D

With the fairing on my VV; I don't think it would work with the bike, even if the SKS fit.:(

It is about an hour drive to my preferred range; taking the bike would be nice.

Scott

#19 · (Edited)
I am going to have to check out those new accessories; I didn't see ANYTHING like that when I was outfitting my SKS.:D

With the fairing on my VV; I don't think it would work with the bike, even if the SKS fit.:(

It is about an hour drive to my preferred range; taking the bike would be nice.

Scott
Roger that, Scott. The CNC-machined mount can be made to fit any vertical or horizontal application and whether round or flat surface. I'll ask my friend to see if we can find a ride like yours around to test it on. It will be at least a few weeks to see what we can come up with. Even if I had to fab and weld a mount I bet I could come up with something to work for you. Besides, the design of the tree mount system is mine anyway and my friend just did the machining at his shop.

Please post pics or PM me for email address of the area on your scoot you want to mount up on.

#12 ·
On a side note I am thinking of selling these CNC-machined lateral mounts because every time I go out riding on or near the ranch, in the desert or when I'm hunting people ask me where I got the mount. Haven't decided yet but hey they sell those stupid lids to "preserve" the fizz in opened soda cans! :D

#13 ·
3/4 with built in sun shade and clear visor and my prescription glasses. I also have a 1/2 helmet that I use for around the neighborhood on those really hot days. That's the top balding part, for the rest I wear armored textile or armored leather jacket depending on the heat, and I just bought a pair of "Sliders" and a pair of Bohn armored under things : ). Oh and always leather gloves. The feet have a pair of Tourmaster "Solutions" which are really nice. And so far I haven't tested out any of it so I don't know if it works or not and I don't have any plans to...! :)

#16 ·
I use a full face, as I want to keep my head and face as intact as possible. Plus some pretty crazy bugs have thudded against the face of the helmet. Also I had a yellowjacket end up the small opening of the sleeve of my jacket, I can't imagine that ended up in my open face helmet.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

#20 ·
I voted full helmet because I wear one on my commute to work. However, if I'm doing the cruising thing it's a half helmet and my regular glasses with sunglass clip ons.

I guess I need the multiple choice vote!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.