Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Ride a Vulcan to see Vulcan

9K views 88 replies 15 participants last post by  TS Tinker 
#1 · (Edited)
Any interest in getting such a ride organized?

Would ride from SOMEWHERE to visit Vulcan in Birmingham, Alabama.

Address is 1701 Valley View Drive, Birmingham, Alabama - although Google maps is off a bit... use Vulcan Park & Museum, Valley View Drive, Birmingham, AL for Google Maps.

I65, I20, I59 and Hwy78 form kind of a spider's web into B-Ham.

For me, I'd go from Brandon, MS to Meridian, MS on I20 and then (get a room in Tuscaloosa, AL) on to B-Ham and Vulcan. I could see rides from Memphis, TN, Tupelo, MS, Nashville, TN, Atlanta, GA, Montgomery, AL....

Just thinking... probably would want an early spring or fall ride to avoid the heat.

#2 ·
Is this Vulcan you are talking about a member of the forum? Not sure what I'll be riding after the 1st part of the year, hoping for a bigger vulcan. Have an 05 800b right now that needs cams replaced. Will see how the compression and leakdown test look this week end. I'm in north Ga., just outside Chattanooga. PM me with details, always up for a ride.

#4 ·
Is this Vulcan you are talking about a member of the forum?
The Vulcan to go see is the statue of Vulcan, the God of the Forge, in Birmingham, AL. I was thinking a bunch of people from the forums here pick a day and all ride in to Vulcan Park around the same time. Kind of a meet-up day. :cool:

February 16th, 2013 maybe?

#3 ·
Interesting read from link:

In ancient times, people worshipped many gods. Vulcan was the Roman god of the Forge. A forge is a shop with a furnace where metal is heated and hammered out into useful items. In Greek mythology, Vulcan's name is Hephaestus. His father was Jupiter, the supreme ruler of the universe, and his mother, Juno. Unlike all the other gods and goddesses, who were perfectly beautiful, Vulcan was ugly and lame. He was thrown from Mt. Olympus, the home of the gods. After falling for an entire day, he landed on the island of Lemnos in the Aegean Sea and worked as a blacksmith, using a volcano as his forge. The one-eyed Cyclopes were his helpers. He made weapons and armor for all the gods, but was kindly and peaceful himself. He married the glamorous Venus, goddess of Love and Beauty.

#6 ·
If you guys want to put a few extra miles on next summer, there's a town up here in Alberta called... you guessed it, Vulcan!

#69 ·
Vulcan, Alberta

Been through there a few times on the way south for family trips. I grew up in Calgary. Always loved seeing the Enterprise as we drove through!

#7 ·
I only live about 40 minutes from it. I keep telling myself I want to get a picture of my bike with the Vulcan in the background.

If you all want to set something up, I'll get our local Southern Cruiser chapter interested in a meet and greet, maybe do a little two laning to the park then go have a good meal somewhere.

#8 ·
If you all want to set something up, I'll get our local Southern Cruiser chapter interested in a meet and greet, maybe do a little two laning to the park then go have a good meal somewhere.
That would be awesome!
:)

#9 ·
Was wondering if still doing this ride and if being postponed. Calling for 30s for a high here in north Ga.. saturday with chance of snow showers. Am rebuilding top end of my bike, hoping to have done some time saturday, but if still doing it, I'll have to miss it, wont have bike ready, plus the chanceof snow thing dont excite me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
Was wondering if still doing this ride and if being postponed. Calling for 30s for a high here in north Ga.. saturday with chance of snow showers. Am rebuilding top end of my bike, hoping to have done some time saturday, but if still doing it, I'll have to miss it, wont have bike ready, plus the chanceof snow thing dont excite me.
I suggested a date, but nothing was solidified... and yes, it was too cold. What would be a good date to do this ride? Something where its not getting below 40 regularly... but not too hot... ?

#10 ·
Let me know when y'all are arriving and I'll meet you there (I live in B'ham). The Vulcan statue was built for a World's Fair many years ago. It was falling apart but refurbished 10 years ago or so.

THere are some wonderful BBQ restaurants nearby.

#11 ·
Hey all, I live in Birmingham as well and it would be a shame to plan a ride here without including a stop at the Barber Motor Sports museum. It is supposed to be the largest motorcycle exhibit in the world. They have every thing from early Harlies and other prototypes to modern sport bikes and cruisers.

#12 ·
Yes, the museum is INCREDIBLE, I would guess upwards of 1000 vintage bikes from early Harley scooters, an old Norton with a wankel engine, steam powered bikes, a replica of the Easy Rider bike, a beautiful old Beamer with a matching sidecar, wwII bikes, even an old steam-powered bike or 2. All beautifully restored. It's not free but I think the price is reasonable. Plan on 2 or 3 hours there. Jay Leno (a collector himself) says it's the best collection he's seen. I even found my old '68 Honda S65 there.

#17 ·
Perhaps the 2nd or 3rd saturday of March? I know many work every other weekend, if anyone has a certian day thats better than another, please speakup. Have my bike back together, hoping to have the breakin done by the end of this month.

#18 ·
2nd Saturday (March 9th) sounds good to me! (3rd Saturday is the wife's birthday weekend and I work the fourth Saturday... 5th Saturday would be another option)

I may be doing it again in July around the 14th (Sunday).

#19 ·
March 9th works for me also. Lets call the 30th a rain day incase the weather doesn't cooperate for the 9th. Anyone interested in going from the north west Ga. area, Dalton, Ga., or Chattanooga, Tn., can call or txt me if you want to meet to ride at 706-483-6238. Just ordered new tires yesturday and should have breakin and oil chang done next weekend.

#22 ·
Hey all my pc fried and it's taken me a couple of weeks to replace it.

I haven't read the entire thread yet but if the Vulcan ride is being planned I'd still like to be in on it and try to get my local Southern Cruisers chapter involved. Even if they don't do it as a club I know several of the members and a few others who would be interested.

Since Rick made the last post on the 22nd I'm assuming it hasn't happened yet. We're in a weird season now 30's at night 60s and 70s in the day with lots of rain days coming. I would suggest picking a date sometime around late March or in April and hopefully the weather will be settled enough to cooperate by then.

I'll do a little research on local events that are happening in the area for the next few weeks that we may want to incorporate into the ride. I know some of you will be coming from a fair distance and may want to turn around and head home after you see the Vulcan, it's kind of hard to get excited about a statue.

Talledega speedway and race museum is about 40 mins or so from the Vulcan I'll have to check the date when the spring race is coming, some of you may want to make it a part of the trip.

We also have a local leather and chrome shop that is doing a ride for breast cancer on April 13th here is their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/events/151387968348821/

Barber motorsports would be a good addition to the trip, they have a museum with the largest privately owned motorcycle collection known. Over 600 bikes on display. Probably about a 25 min ride from Vulcan park. They have supercross races and a huge swap meet a couple times a year I'm not sure exactly when but the museum is great and there's a huge bass pro shop nearby it's almost as good as a museum lol.

I'll see what else I can come up with and post them here.

#24 ·
I would suggest picking a date sometime around late March or in April and hopefully the weather will be settled enough to cooperate by then.
March 9th was looking like the date for it... but accuweather predicts freezing low of 31 with a high of 52f for the 8th and 9th in Birmingham. Not bad, but probably not enjoyable long-range riding either. (I've been commuting to work all winter)

Plus, I may be having a wedding to officiate that day. Grrr...

#25 ·
In no hurry here, I'm gonna ride anyway. For the next month or so, the weather can be great 3-4 days in a row, then drop in the toilet overnight, cold, rain, or both. By early june starts getting hot. The nicer the weather, and more advance notice, the more likely will have more shows. Will keep an eye on this thread and try to make it when its a go.

#29 ·
Showing 42 here by 9am, and high of 62. Will have enough miles friday to do my breakin oil change. That and get new tires on, and I'm good to go. May have a couple buds along, one on an 04 800b, and the other may be tagging along on one of them Sportster thingy. Anyone coming from the Dalton Ga., or Chattanooga Tn. area, PM me and we can meetup and make a group ride of it. I'll PM my number to ya.

#30 ·
Huh, that sounds interesting.

My bike is kinda ugly, I wonder if it's working with cyclopses when I'm not looking?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.