Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Turning off the. Bike

11K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  whiting57 
#1 ·
How do younturn off your bike?
Tonight when i arrived home, i turned the bike off immediately after stoping using the handle bar switch, the bike was on 1st gear. It made a cracking sound i did not like. Do you have any idea what i was, have this ever happened to you before?
How long shouldmi wait to turn off the bike after stoping?

#3 ·
Like a backfire? Could have just been that the engine hadn't 'spooled down' yet or that you had just a tiny feather of throttle open with your hand on the grip, and so the engine was running above idle when you shut it off. I'm sure it didn't hurt anything, just a little backfire from unburned fuel.

There are two schools of thoughts here. One is that the bike should be shut off with the key always, because the habit of using the killswitch can lead to a dead battery, if you use the killswitch but forget to turn off the key.

The other thought is, that if you use the killswitch always, you'll develop a habit that can give you quick reflexes should, in an emergency, you'd ever need to use the killswitch. This is presently what the MSF teaches.

I think both schools of thought are valid. Some have said 'Use the kill switch only in emergencies so you don't wear it out', but I don't buy it. It's highly unlikely that you'll 'wear out' the killswitch with use. It won't hurt anything to do EITHER.

I personally use the kill switch. The reason is, it's awkward for me to reach down where the key is on the 900 (like most Vulcans it's up against my thigh!). So I prefer to hit the kill switch, get off, then turn the key off and remove it. Knock on wood, but I've never ever left the key on on my bike. I also live in an apartment complex and, with loud pipes, I don't like to disturb people at night. So coming down the hill into the parking lot I hit the kill switch, then coast into my spot. Would be hard to shut the key off rolling, plus, then I'd lose my headlight!

One suggestion; don't shut it off as you roll to a stop or immediately after stopping (when I shut mine off on the hill as described, I pull the clutch in and wait a second for the engine to return to idle before doing so). You might also try developing a habit of taking your hand off the grip and shutting the bike off with your index finger, which will prevent the possibility that as you grip the handlebar to hit the switch, you're cracking the throttle open. I don't think there is any set 'time' to wait to shut down a naturally aspirated engine (on an engine with a turbocharger it can sometimes be a good idea to let it idle for a few seconds before shutting it down, but that's not the case here!). Just make sure the engine has completely returned to idle, and the throttle is completely released. If at all possible, the engine shouldn't be shut down above idle speed.

Finally, you could just switch to using the key, but if you leave the bike in gear when you stop (like on a hill or something) that could certainly be a pain in the behind!

#4 ·
I usually use the kill switch, with bike in gear. I never park my bike unless in gear anymore. Sometimes do notice a clanking sound when I shut it off, think it all depends on how close it is to fireing when the ignition is cutoff. I think if it is at the top of the compression stroke, that pressure trys to force the piston to reverse direction. Could be wrong, JMO.

#5 ·
I think you nailed it, you made me think, and the engine was running above iddle, it wasnt a backfire, it came from under the tank, to the righthand side.
I already lost my bettery once on a bad neighborhood, i left the bike at a church parking lot, it was midday, and theywere closing at 2pm, i went to get a new battery, they gave it to me without the screws, the screws i had were too small, so i had to go and get new screws from a hardware store and did not fit. Time was ticking, finally a was able to put the screws at an angle and was able to bring the bike home. If the bike was left overnight at that place it was going to be the last time a saw it.
I'm trying to teach myself to turn it off using the key, but all habits are hard to kill.
Thanks for your advice

#6 ·
I was riding down a lone desert road once and raised my hand off the throttle just a little bit to fix my riding glasses and when I grabbed the rightside throttle grip again I accidentally hit the kill switch with my thumb. Wish they would put that thing just a little bit further away. Haha!

#8 ·
It may be all wrong, but about half the time I put it in neutral, put down the kick stand and turn it off at the key. That depends on location, for example I do it in the garage. If I leave it in gear I put the kick stand down and turn off the key. Either way, the bike is completely stopped.

#9 ·
The only time I park the bike in neutral is in my garage. I've had a bike roll off the side stand one too many times to trust it to stay upright. Besides, you can't always trust the ground to be level. My garage floor is. Just the way I do it. And I always shut it down by switching off the ignition with the key.

#10 ·
I rarely use the key to shut down. Most of time I park in 1st and drop the stand to kill the engine. That way I know the stand is down when I get off. I periodically use the kill switch so I'm used to using it and sure it works. I've only left the ignition on once. Fortunately I walked in front of the bike and spotted the headlight right away.

#11 ·
Some of the replies are surprising to me. My 900 is the first bike I've had that has the ignition on the left side so I've always used the key previously. I find myself using the kill switch and kickstand more on this bike because I'm often stopping on some type of grade and want to leave the bike in gear. The surprising part is that I would never walk away from my bike without the key. I guess it could happen accidentally of course just like locking your keys in your car and it probably will now that I've said it. Typically I kill the engine and then pull the key straight away. Another question: how many of you ever actually lock the forks?

#13 ·
This past summer I've had to go help two friends who turned the bike off with the kill switch but left the key in and in the ON position. Both recent MSF students. They teach to use the kill switch but not to turn off the bike and remove the key.

#14 ·
I use the fork lock in a strange area when I will be away from the bike for a while. For example, Oatman. I only park in neutral on level ground and where I feel the bike is secure.

I thought I was real good about never walking away from the bike without the key, but I left the ignition on last week at my office. Just too many distractions right then. Bike would not start of course, just clicking. I put it in gear, got coasting and eased the clutch out. Started right up. Then I had to reset the clock. Maybe that is why bikes don't have automatic transmissions.

If I park in neutral it is easy to remember to remove the key as I turn off the ignition.

#15 ·
I am not a 900 owner but I will jump in on this one. I have always shut down the bike with the kill switch. I was taught that so It will be on the front of my mind for emergency situations. I have never had a problem with forgetting the key in any bike I have owned except 2. 04 1500 Classic and 99 1100 V-Star. Both bikes had switches on the side of the bike and If I was distracted I would forget sometimes. But the rest of the bikes I have owned the key was on the bars or tank. (83 Honda Nighthawk, 1600 Meanie, 08 V2K). It is easier to kill it with the switch IMO. Most of the time I am parking on a slope or somewhere where the bike will not sit in Neutral.

As for the fork locks. I have never used them. If someone was to lock my forks without me knowing I would probably start to wonder what would make the forks lock up like that and be puzzled for a while.

#16 ·
I thought I was real good about never walking away from the bike without the key, but I left the ignition on last week at my office. Just too many distractions right then. Bike would not start of course, just clicking. I put it in gear, got coasting and eased the clutch out. Started right up. Then I had to reset the clock. Maybe that is why bikes don't have automatic transmissions.

I read on the owners manual, that you should not start the bike that way, do´nt know why. I used to ride a Rebel and it was not a problem to start it that way.
Is it ok or not?

#20 ·
Re push starting:

I read on the owners manual, that you should not start the bike that way, do´nt know why. I used to ride a Rebel and it was not a problem to start it that way.
Is it ok or not?

I think it is a safety issue. You get coasting, you engage the throttle, you release the clutch, you take off, you get startled, you crash into something, Kawasaki gets sued.

#17 ·
I always stop in first gear then kill the bike with the kick stand, turn off the ignition switch and pull the key.

#18 ·
I never use the kill switch. The funny thing is, it's for "emergency" use, but what emergency are you going to need it for? Crashing is a real emergency but most of the time the bike will shut off anyway because of the tipover switch.

#19 ·
True. I have not ran in to an emergency that required me to use it other than a down bike. The only one I can think of was when my wife tipped her 600 VLX and it fell on the key side so when I went back to get her I hit the kill switch. It did not have a tip over switch it was a 95 model.

#21 ·
one example of an emergency where the kill switch is usefull...when the throttle sticks open !!!!

#23 ·
a good example for sure. I was just stating I have not had anything happen to me that would "REQUIRE" me to use it. I still feel it is a good habit to use it all the time. You just have to get your self in the routine. I flip my switch off and let the bike die, flip the switch back on, then get the key. I made switching it back a habit with the Honda because the engine would turn over but not start with the switch off.

#24 · (Edited)
When I had my 900, once in a while as I was coming to a stop I'd grab the clutch and coast (still in gear), put the kickstand down (still moving). This kills the engine. Then I'd brake to a stop and let the bike lean over onto the stand, with my feet still on the boards. Probably the exact opposite of how it should be done.

Normally, I'd hit the kill switch and as soon as the engine was off, turn the kill switch back on and shut the key off. If you leave the kill switch off, when you turn the key on the fuel pump doesn't prime (however, I've never had the bike fail to start because of this).

With the V2K, the key switch is on the headlight nacelle, so I just use that & rarely use the kill switch at all. No coasting to a stop with the stand down on the V2K, just cuz the stand is harder to deploy because it's located farther forward.

#25 ·
When I had my 900, once in a while as I was coming to a stop I'd grab the clutch and coast (still in gear), put the kickstand down (still moving). This kills the engine. Then I'd brake to a stop and let the bike lean over onto the stand, with my feet still on the boards. Probably the exact opposite of how it should be done.

Normally, I'd hit the kill switch and as soon as the engine was off, turn the kill switch back on and shut the key off. If you leave the kill switch off, when you turn the key on the fuel pump doesn't prime (however, I've never had the bike fail to start because of this).

With the V2K, the key switch is on the headlight nacelle, so I just use that & rarely use the kill switch at all. No coasting to a stop with the stand down on the V2K, just cuz the stand is harder to deploy because it's located farther forward.
and that little clutch lever (or what ever it is actually called) is in the way. I don't know the number of time I have press on it instead of the stand.

#31 ·
No hard and fast rule.

The one consistent thing is I always wait till the bike sets to idle and 99% of the time I'll stop the engine with the key. It's become second nature to reach down and turn it off. It also demands that you come to a complete stop and have the bike in neutral before you ease the clutch out (you never know if that light is for real...sure like the positive find neutral feature of the VN though). On all flat surfaces I'll stop the engine with the key. If I'm on inclines, at a complete stop and with the engine at idle, I'll stop the engine with the side stand. I'll then ease the clutch out and ensure the bike is locked in 1st gear, then follow through with the key. Depending where I am, I'll add the kill switch for "security" reasons...one additional step for those willing to try and off with it. It also checks the "interlockability" and "functionality" of all the associated items both at close and when I start the bike.

I'll lock the forks when I feel I need to. Went to a bike event one year. A guy on a Suzuki locked his forks but then couldn't get it to release. Aw man you should have heard him and seen the frustration as he was pecking away and litterally pealing off pieces of his bike!

#32 ·
You all ever wonder what pilots say about airplanes and the benefits, drawbacks, advantages or risks using this and that feature over the other? That's why they give pilots checklists to perform their safety checks and to fly safe. In similar habits we all should have our own checklists and keep riding safety in mind at all times which it looks like to me that you are all doing. Ride on everyone and keep posting. I enjoy reading everyone's input.

#33 ·
I always

Leave mine in gear and shut it down with the kickstand. Have always let the motor rest a few seconds before putting it dow. No strange noises for me. I have gotten in this practice because of a friends Dad. When i was young his Dad fell over all over the time he would always forget to put kickstand down! I am almost in tears laughing so hard! He never did get hurt! But sure would be a sight seeing him pinned against a gas pump, as he went to fill up and pull up to pump not putting kickstand down and yelling for help! This memory is permanently in my brain! Just happy he did never get hurt!

#34 ·
This is what I started doing, since started this thread.
After stoping completely, i wait a few seconds for the rev go down, after the engine is at idle i hit the kill switch, turn the key to the off position, take it out of the ignition switch, then turn the kill switch back to on, then if I'm not home or I'm going to be away from the bike where I do´nt see it, I´ll lock the forks.
When I´m back to the bike I´ll put the key in the start switch, put the engine in neutral wait for the FI are done then I´ll strat the bike, if it´s not in neutral and the kill switch on, the IF wo'nt work, it has to be in neutral and the killswitch has to be on the on position. I have to turn the start switch off and back to on again if I try to start the bike and forget to perform one of this 2 steps. Is this normal or is this a sign of problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.