Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Baggage

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  vulcan 06 
#1 ·
I have a Classic. The bare bike, plus a windshield.

I want something that I can use to transport a few items regularly, but that I can pull off quick when I just want to ride.

I plan on getting a magnetic tank bag and a tail/tunnel bag. I also plan on getting a Sissy bar and some sissy bar backpack luggage. But what about Saddle Bags?

Do I need saddle bags with all the other stuff? Any that I can get that will just fit under the pillion/passenger seat and not need support brackets or anything extra?

#2 ·
Mine is an 06 1500 Classic and I have the throw across leather bags. I did pull the passenger seat and lace the bags down, but you could just throw the bags over the seat and sit on the yoke I suppose.
I am interested in mounted hard side bags, but that will have to wait a while.

#3 ·
Hi Graywalker
I have an 09 1700 Classic as well. Mine came with Kawa leather bags as a promo and I bought a Quick disconnect windshield, so our bikes are pretty similar. The saddlebags are small. My Frog Togs just about fill up one side. I have a Cartech tail bag that I can bungee cord on and it sits on the seat behind me. Holds quite a bit of stuff good for more than a weekend. I don't have a tank bag since I couldn't find one that fit right with the tank gauges and display. I did buy a small magnetic fanny pack size bag that I put on the tank. I usually stick the keys, sun glasses, insurance papers, telephone etc in it and take it with me when I leave the bike of course. Its really handy. As for saddlebags if you need more storage than tail bag and a sissy bar bag (which can be very big) saddlebags will help. I also have heard that saddlebags may be better for bike balance or handling than a large sissy bar bag, but i don't have experience with sissy bar bags. Lots of folks use them so they can't be that bad. I like the looks of the Saddleman TS3200 tail bag, about $80 at Dennis Kirk. They have two models. What I like about the bag is they way it sits low on the seat. I haven't bought one yet, maybe for my trip next summer.
Good luck with your decision.
WEG

#4 ·
If you get saddle bags, I highly recommend supports. My brother in-law had throw overs on a bike he had without them and the bags were rubbing on the wheel when leaning. Could get ugly quick if it happened to get caught in the wheel. Several co. have quick disconnect bag mounts, but can get pricey, depends on what your after. Hard bags are usually more $$ than soft, but add better protection for contents.

#5 ·
I think Tsukayu makes some quick-release bags for the 900. Spendy, but top notch quality.

The other suggestion would be some throw-over saddlebags. They just pop right over the fender and under the seat. With the easy key-off seat of the 900, it'll only take a couple seconds (and no tools) to get the bags on and off. But if you go with throw-over bags, make sure they are small, and fit well. Like rick pointed out, if they can get into your wheel well when you lean, they don't fit your bike!

#6 ·
Thank you!

Thanks for the replies all!

If the tail bag doesn't fit all my needs, then I'll be looking into some quick release supports and saddle bags!

I've got a couple long lean curves on my way to work, so better safe than scrap.

#7 ·
I used some no-name el cheapo bags on my Mean Streak with not supports but I was able to tie the bags off and they hit enough parts of the bike that they did not get into the wheel. I also did not ride with them all the time. I got them to throw over when I needed them. I do not recommend going that route but I did. Several companies make quick release saddle bags and supports. (saddelmen, edege, Tsu?? what Romans said, and more). Also after you put a set of bags on a bike you will wonder why did I not do this sooner and then want to upgrade. It contagious, that is what happened to me. :D

#8 ·
I currently ride a vaquero. But a previous bike of mine was the 900 classic. I used the Kuryakin Gran Throwover saddlebags. I found them to be an excellent fit and handled large loads with ease. They go on and off in seconds.

I still have them if you are interested. They are in like new condition.

If you are, just PM me. BTW, my wife is from Jackson and her people are all still there. (I'll give you the relatives price.......)

#9 ·
I still have them if you are interested. They are in like new condition.

If you are, just PM me. BTW, my wife is from Jackson and her people are all still there. (I'll give you the relatives price.......)
Uh oh! :eek: Relatives and anything to do with them is always on open invitation to trouble! :D J/K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.