Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Consequences of Overfilling Fuel Tank

7K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  whoaru99 
#1 ·
What bad things happen when this is done? I live close to gas station, fill my tank when returning from a ride. With bike on side stand, I can't seem to keep from filling the tank slightly above the bottom of the inner neck. Had one incident during the summer where fuel leaked thru the carbs.........my theory is the heat caused a pressure build (tank could not vent) up within the tank, and the petcock allowed fuel to flow to the carbs, which also could not contain the extra pressure. Opinions?

#2 ·
This is just an opinion....I would think with the cool weather now you shouldn't have any issues with expansion and leakage. If you're worried, you could always just ride around for another 20 miles or so to lower the level.

#3 ·
Huh? Why can't you "keep from filling the tank slightly above the bottom of the inner neck"? When I'm filling up, I just watch the gas level rise and when it's a couple inches or so below the rim, I release the nozzle trigger. No problems. Maybe I'm missing something here.

#6 ·
I just want it as full as possible and mis-judge the level with the bike sitting on the side stand. If I'm going to continue riding, I don't worry about it.............in a few miles the level will be drawn down to below the neck. The "leaking" thing has only occured once, and that was in the heat of hot summer.

I was just curious. Will probably continue the way I'm doing it now unless there is a problem in the future.

Thanks for the replies.

P.S. I don't ever hear any noises coming from the vent system, so assume it is working properly.

#11 ·
Yeah, that's actually a bad sign. You should be able to hear it.
Most people I have seen usually ask "Why is my bike whistling". I know when I got my first Kaw I asked what it was.

#4 ·
Sounds like first step is to check/confirm the tank vent isn't partially pinched/obstructed.

Filling to the bottom or somewhat higher than the bottom of the filler neck is fairly commonplace. While my Vulcan isn't the same model, I usually fill into the neck some. On some occasions way into the neck. I went too far once trying to make for an extended refuel ride and had a little gas leak out of the overflow/vent tube. I think I got about a gallon or so more in than stopping at the bottom of the filler.

#5 ·
I agree with whoaru99, that there may be a problem with your vent tube. I fill into the neck all the time without a problem. I do hear my tank vent on occasion, but have never had a problem with leaking yet.

#12 ·
I did the same thing a couple of times when I first got back into motorcycles. Now no matter whether I am riding home or on down the road, I fill the bike while straddling it to keep everything straight and level. No more overflow or worrying about gas ruining the paint, or catching me on fire.....

#13 ·
Doesn't specifically seem to state in the owner's manual I have but I'd guess the bikes are intended to be fueled on the side stand. If that causes expulsion of fuel, assuming you haven't fueled into the neck, then something else isn't right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.