Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Cleaning products and tips

6K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  amsiegel 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to the cruiser bike scene. I've had a couple crotch rockets back in the day but never a chromed up cruiser. My question is what do you guys/gals use to clean your rides? Any tips or tricks used would also be greatly appreciated. I know it's a matter of just spending some time cleaning but sure some of you long time owners have little tricks you use to keep them looking showroom condition. Thanks

Johnny in Ga.

#2 ·
Melted rubber/plastic on the exhaust seems to be the most recurring question.
I have had good luck with EZ-off oven cleaner. Spray it on (I have heard to keep it off your paint) leave it for a couple hours then scrub a little. Repeat if necessary. Works well. I have also heard that magic erasers work, and 000 steel wool.

There are a lot of products for you windshield, and depending on what material it is, several products that you should not use. Do a search and enjoy.:p
I use soapy water only, and wash it lightly several times during a regular wash; by the time I am done with the bike, the shield is clean as a whistle. When the shield gets enough bugs to need to be cleaned; I figure it is time to wash the entire bike.:)

Scott

#8 ·
+1 I give one thorough wash/wax in the spring, another late fall, and all in between cleaning is done with microfiber towels and lemon Pledge. All my riding buddies laugh and ask me if I ever ride the bike, since it stays so clean and SHINY, but the odometer always tells the tale. Best thing of all, I can keep that odometer ROLLING by spending a whole 15 minutes a week... :D

It adds shine to the seat, keeps that freshly waxed look on the paint, takes bugs off the shield, adds rain "sheeting" to the shield and lights, and shines the chrome! I even use it on my FF helmet during the colder months, and it helps a tad with the smell too. LOL

For the thorough washes, a bottle brush works magic in those hard to reach areas and the fins.

#6 ·
So lemon pledge for the pipes? Never would have thought to try that. Any suggestions on what to use to detail the engine compartment? Like brushes or something small to get in the tight spots. Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming. I'm taking notes. :D

#7 ·
So lemon pledge for the pipes? Never would have thought to try that. Any suggestions on what to use to detail the engine compartment? Like brushes or something small to get in the tight spots. Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming. I'm taking notes. :D
A baby bottle brush is good to clean the fins.

Scott

#11 ·
I'll soap and water wash it this weekend. Not sure if the bike has been waxed lately since I just purchased it a couple weeks ago. What kind of wax do you use? I'll wax it too. Then pick up some lemon pledge to keep it clean. This bike is so nice I dint ever want to see it dirty. Ride a while then clean a while. :D

#24 ·
I forget where I read it, but the ingredients in pledge has changed.

There was even an article about it, where some guy directly asked somebody over at "pledge" and the guy admitted it changed and people should probably not be using it on paint..

#13 ·
Google EZ Detail Brush. This thing is the nuts if you want to keep your bike clean. Gets in all the nooks and crannies, doesn't scratch and is gentle on the paint.
I use Comet Cleanser on the whitewalls (taught to me by an old time used car detailer). And Pledge is great for a quick wipedown between wash and waxes, I prefer Meguiars for wax or should I say polish?
I use a leaf blower to dry the bike after washing. I use Nevr-Dull on the rims and spokes a couple times a season.

#15 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like i have some good advice on cleaning and keeping this beauty clean. I am proud to own this bike and i hope it gives me a long trouble free ride. I have always been partial to the bobber look but my girlfriend loves to ride also. Maybe one day she will want her own ride and then i can go the bobber route. Until then I will enjoy my Nomad.

#16 ·
I use a microfiber and a good quality quick detail spray for general cleaning. Good wax or polish on the paint. 303 protectant on the seat and plastic parts. Fine steel wool for stuff on the pipes. Plex-All spray for the windshield.

#19 ·
This question is for the Vaquero guys. What do you guys use on all the flat black parts engine, trans, fork tubes and such. What do you use for a protectant or do you just use the same wax as you do on the shinny painted parts. I know there is special polish for chrome and was just wondering if there is something special you use on all the flat black parts.

#20 ·
I like Turtle Wax chrome polish on the chrome goodies and Mguires on painted surfaces. Both work great.

The only problem I have is the dang windshield. It's always covered in bugs. I've never found anything that will really remedy that. I usually take it down to the car wash and nail it with the pressure washer and soap, but even then I can't seem to get them all off.

#23 ·
I like Maguiar's wash & wax for washing, and Mother's Brazilian Caranuba (it's Brazilian!) wax for my twice a year "detailing".

My favorite part is the drying off, though. If it doesn't get dry at 70, I just have to go 80.

#27 ·
I use Maguire's Motorcycle Detail Spray and microfiber towels. And that's it. Used it exclusively on my 900 Custom for almost 4 years. Got plenty of people asking how I kept it so clean. Now I use it on my Nomad. Easy off is great for getting the melted stuff off of the exhaust.

#30 ·
For really nasty and greasy parts (engine covers, wheels). I use krud kutter.
I had some in the house and check their web site and it is safe for aluminum and chrome. They recommend a 1 to 10-20 mix with water for aluminum and chrome.
I mixed up some and sprayed my engine covers which had not been cleaned in years (I just got the bike) and you could see the grim just slide off. Same thing with the wheels and other parts. Plus it is biodegradable and safe.

You can find it at Home Depot and Lowes in paint department

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.