Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Race Tech

6K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  twowheeladdict 
#1 ·
Completed the installation of the Race Tech Gold Valves & springs lastnight. All I can say is wow, what a difference. This transformed the ride from Cadillac (soft / marshmallow) to BMW (firm / compliant). Had my 150lb son with me today and the bike handles as if it is at least 100lbs lighter even 2up. It is very compliant on large bumps without any harshness and the pogo affect is gone. Front end dive while trail braking eliminated. Now she just falls into the corners and holds a line with much better front end feel & control. Stock it always felt very vague and almost squirmish when pushed, now it handles better 2 up than it did riding solo. Great suspension improvement, should have come from the factory this way. I should also mention that I replaced the stock fuild with 15wt, have the tires at 38psi F, 40psi R, rear preload @ IIII with 25psi in the rear shocks.

#2 ·
What model do you have?

#4 ·
Cool! I did Racetech emulators and springs in my Voyager XII. Totally transformed the bike with the addition of progressive rear springs. I am thinking about going with Traxxion for the Voyager in 2012. They are only about 4 hours away so I can get a custom setup in person.

#5 · (Edited)
I had gold emulators in my softail and they were awesome. The are now in my Phat Performance wish list.

#6 ·
I did the racetech gold treatment about 1998, It took care of the nasty walloing in the sweepers. I used the stock springs tho but modified for the shorter length and 5/16" preload and 15wt oil. Now I can really feal assured that it will hold the corners. I named her Bitch and now she can't dance like she used to.

#7 ·
I have had mono shocks so long I had forgot you could do things like that..... like the last dual shock bike I had was on my 78 Goldwing.

CRUISERDON....

Going on the web site they look like they know what they are doing.

Could you give us part numbers that you used on your Voyager??? I have always increased the fork oil weight at least 5 or 10 points on all my motorcycles. It makes them firmer and more responsive... I will be doing my Voyager after I get 10k miles on it... For some reason 10k is the magic number for me to do a lot of things on it. I figure if I have not blown it up by then, its good to go for another 200k. When I am solo I still drive like a Motor Cop... guess I always will... But it won't be much longer til then anyway....

Thanks......

#9 ·
Race Tech Fork Springs - .90 KG/MM FRSP S3732090 - $93.09 Amazon (check Racetech site for correct spring for your weight)
Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulator , Color: Gold FEGV S4301 - $132.35 Amazon
1 Liter 15wt Fork Oil $15.49 Local Shop

Total $240.93

#10 ·
keendog42........

Thanks.... over all the bottom line price does not sound bad at all for what you get out of it.... at least I will save on the fork oil, I have a case of 15w.....

#13 ·
Yes, I did it right in the garage. If you have a motorcycle jack to lift the bike high enough to slide the fork tubes out you shouldn't have a any issues. You'll need a jack, allen keys, front wheel axle socket (I use a spark plug socket), drill to put additional oil flow holes in the inner tubes, pick set or small screw driver to remove clip that holds in the internals, saw or large tubing cutter to cut spacers (new springs are shorter so you measure tube spacer to set pre-load, I just measured the stock spring & made the new spring + spacer the same length). The directions that come with the kit are very detailed and straight forward. Start to finish took me about 2 hours.

#14 ·
Preload is based on the sag you want to attain when riding with the amount of weight you normally ride with so that you get the proper travel when riding over the irregularities on the road. A light solo rider is not going to set preload the same as someone who mostly rides two up and loaded for a trip. Of course spring choice will affect how much preload as well.

You also have to be prepared to fish the emulators out of the forks to adjust them until you dial them in for the way you ride. Although a lot of riders will see a great benefit with the default setting.

#16 ·
Chrismas is coming and this is now a must

Well I have been putting this off...... until now. Saturday coming back from a Arkansas Coalition of Motorcyclist meeting, I was working hard keeping up with my brother who has a 103CI Harley with extra work in the engine. We were getting on I-40 and we were both at max acceleration making the big right hand sweeper when my front end started this weird undulating. It was a slow oscillation that scared the crap out of me. I rode through it and once I exited the sweeper it went away but man I have to say that the rest of the way home the cheeks were tight. BTW, before I left I checked all the tire and shock pressures. I am running Michelin RC2, 36psi front, 41psi rear. I have 22PSI in the shocks. I am definitely doing this over the winter along with the head bearing.

#17 ·
Finally took a good ride with my newly rebuilt front forks. All new internals with traxxion dynamics springs and Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators. Along with the newly greased steering head bearings, the handles reall well. Turn in is effortless now. The bike is so much easier to ride.

I have the bike set up for two up riding and the result is a sportier ride when solo. I am running 30 PSI in the rear shocks. I think I will be running out of tire when the boards touch down.

Now that the front end handles so well, I can feel the harshness of the rear end.

#18 ·
What influenced you to go with traxxion dynamics springs rather than Race Tech or Progressive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.