Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Running well

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  rick 
#1 ·
Well I just rolled 28,000 miles and my 800 is running very well. It can even motivate my big 280 lb butt around for hundreds of miles!

Just figured the forum could use a nice positive comment. :p

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Sounds great!

Lots of so called 'common problems' are not actually common, it's just that people are much more likely to make a thread about a problem they had than about their bike running fine (makes sense, you want to gather new information!)

Glad to see someone trying to even the score!

21,000 problem free miles on my 900! Did have to replace the stator at 15,000, but that's not a tough job once you get down and do it.

#7 ·
This made me think of a post you made a little while back. You said that no one ever comes on a forum and says anything about their bikes running good and did not have any problems. Looks like either you were wrong or some one is out to prove you wrong:eek:. :D

#8 ·
The bike was slightly grumpy and didn't want wake up right a way this morning. It was like 28 degrees though. It took a whole 3 pushes of the starter button then it decided it was time to get up. Other than that it was good to go. Me on the other hand, after a few miles my hands were frozen solid.

I think the morning commutes might be ended soon.

#9 ·
35,000 miles and counting!

My bike is running great also. Just grampsized it and rejetted which i believe took care of it running hot. Shes got 35,000 on her and runs awesome. Ive had a couple of crotch rockets and even spent 20,000 on a new Streetglide when they came out in 2006 and my 800 would stomp it for sure. Have been loving working on it and customizing it. Ive been told a few times to just leave it alone and ride her but that is not possible for me lol. Glad to see alot of positive comments, love my Kawasakis!

#10 ·
I might do that in the feature. My first goal has been to get the bike back to stock and running well before I attempt any mods. The only mod I have done was to remove the EPA gear. The only non stock item that I am not planning on returning to stock is the Harley slip ons.

Where did you buy your jets?

#11 ·
97,000 on my 05 800. 2 sets of front brake pads, one set rear brake shoes, 4 new front tires, 7 rear tires, 32 oil changes with filter, and one rear wheel due to spokes wearing out the hub. Did one valve adjust, and many modifacations just to be different. Oh yea, just replaced the stock battery last month. Put all the miles on myself except the 1.3 miles it showed when I bought it new in feb. 06. Have had to replace 1 brake light bulb, and 1 front turn signal bulb. Replaced front springs with Progressives, and the rear shock with a Progressive 456 I believe it was.

#13 ·
Hey there's someone who rides!

#12 ·
So you have only checked and adjusted the valves once? When did you do it? Did the progressive springs make much of a difference?

Your experience with your bike certainly gives me hope that I will keep mine for awhile.

#14 ·
34 degF....[1degC]...sunshine and no snow on the ground...just had to walk away from work at lunch and take her out......25miles...a little cool.....will have to adjust idle and mixture, but no pops on the throttle down from the MAC pipes..

The dog and the budgie were not impressed....

#15 ·
Didnt do the valves untill last spring, shouldve checked them long ago. 7 of the 8 were out of adjustment. Had about 85,000 on it when I did them. Turned out to be very easy to do. The front spring made a world of difference, but to be honest, did have about an inch of sag in the forks when I changed them. That was at about 77,000. Changed the rear shock at about 90,000. THAT made a difference! The shock was just worn out. Like the adjustable rebound feature on the new one. Also instead of the 7 step preload of the stock one, this has about 4" of thread to adjustment.

#20 · (Edited)
That's an excellent track record you have there. Totally agree with you in that the rider who works on his own bike has a vested interest in it like nobody else and that helps out a lot when it comes to maintenance and care.

There was a saying I heard as a kid about the best manufactured goods are made on Wednesdays and Thursdays because by then the hangovers are over with, the humpday has arrived and the weekend is just around the corner and so everyone is in good spirits, good health, focused and happy about working. Your bike must have been built starting on Wednesday and finished the next day! :)

#16 ·
Dont know if this makes a difference but I've done all my own maintenace on this bike, except for the jets. My 1st bike, and never worked on one before, but have worked on cars since I was old enough to climb under the hood. Bought a manuel shortly after getting the bike. Since about 15,000, almost always 2 up riding. I feel nobody cares about my bike more than I do. I also believe that the more you ride it, the less problems you'll have. Just helped friend replace the motor in his 04 800 with 74,000 miles because he dropped both exhaust valves in the front cylinder. If anyone needs info on adjusting valves, send me a PM and I can tell you how easyy it is.

#18 ·
Dont know if this makes a difference but I've done all my own maintenace on this bike, except for the jets. My 1st bike, and never worked on one before, but have worked on cars since I was old enough to climb under the hood. Bought a manuel shortly after getting the bike. Since about 15,000, almost always 2 up riding. I feel nobody cares about my bike more than I do. I also believe that the more you ride it, the less problems you'll have. Just helped friend replace the motor in his 04 800 with 74,000 miles because he dropped both exhaust valves in the front cylinder. If anyone needs info on adjusting valves, send me a PM and I can tell you how easyy it is.
I agree with that! Bikes that are ridden more are better cared for, and there's something to be said about letting them breathe. My stepdad and I ride together alot, and he has a Kawasaki Concours. He puts maybe 3,000 miles a year on. It's still a good reliable bike, but in his 3,000 mile year he'll replace more parts or spend more time in the shop than I do in 15,000 miles on my bike (which, knock on wood, has been none except for the stator!)

#17 ·
Yeah I have to imagine that owning the bike the whole time and taking care of it and riding it consistently has to help. Mine is a 2000 and I don't really know how many hands its passed through. If I believe the PO then I am the 3rd. The guy before me didn't have it very long.

I'm guessing the bulk of the 28k miles probably came early in its life. It's obvious that it went down sometime in the past, but it doesn't seem to have suffered much for it and most evidence of it has been removed, some before me and some by me.

It's proving to be reliable, so I am getting more and more comfortable with putting the time and money into it.

#21 ·
This is my first bike, so nothing to really go by, but feel like I got a good one. Considering what I've seen from many of the people I've road with, mostly Harley owners, I either got an excellent example, or Vulcan are just that good. I think the key for me is to just ride it and change the oil and filter every 3,000. No sythetic here either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.