Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Install of Kawasaki QR Backrest on Vaquero

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  IL Vaquero 
#1 ·
Hey All,
Well I just got done installing the Quick release backrest on my 2012 Vaquero. The directions made it sound harder than it was. From start to finish maybe an hour and a 1/2 including running to the hardware store for a hole saw for my drill. There are 2 things that I want to pass along;

1) A 1" hole saw that they recommend was in my opinion to large of a hole for the spacer. I would have liked the next size down. Keep that in mind when you are gonna install one of these backrests. You may want to opt for a 7/8 holesaw instead.

2) When putting the mounting plates on the bike for the QR backrest, remember the long bolts and spacers go up front and the short bolts and spacers go in back. If you get this reversed the arms on the backrest and the mounts will not line up.

So that's it, it was a very simple install but the directions were as clear as mud. Have fun and ride safe everyone
Paul:cool:

#2 · (Edited)
congrads on the addon hope you like it as i do. from IL I found that if you put ducttape on the back round holding bracket it keeps it from raddling when you ride alone. At least my did I have a small bag I keep small stuff in so I live it on all the time. Unless it bath time or wax time its easier to get to the back finder when its off.

#5 ·
If you have any store credit at the dealer some are getting them there the back rest and aug lights you can get cheaper on e-bay and others have found them onlie cheaper. They will have to tell you it depends on how mechanical inclined you are. If you can follow instructions and are handy with tools you can proble do the back rest . The aug lights you need to pull the front half of the fareing off some say it not that hard it takes longer to put the lights together than take faireing off and the lights are plug and play. You have to mount the on/off switch in the left side of the faireing if tou have the money and dont want to mess with it I would buy the parts cheaper and find a good privet owned shop with a lower shop huor rate and have them do it. then you have some kind of a warranty with it. Just my thoughts . hopefuly others will ghime in to help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.