Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Another good thing about the VN900

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Daboo311 
#1 ·
Went to a vintage and veteran bike show on the weekend with I guess 400 or so other bikers from all arounds. Lots of nice old bikes including wwII Harleys and plenty of flash new ones. It was a fairly remote venue so most would have travelled a round trip of 200-400 klms. Have you seen the queues for ladies toilets at a large event? Well that's what it was like for bikers trying to fill up with gas along the way. I had a full tank leaving home and the low warning light had not lit up on arrival back home after around 290 klms. I know it will do around 380k so was not concerned at all. My 5 other riding companions (v-star, ducati monster, honda shadow, bmw GS, aprillia all had to stop & wait & wait & wait on the way back whereas I just went straight through. To be fair the BMW could have made it easily with a full tank but then she should have filled up before heading off so I still count that as a win to Kawasaki.
My next bike will not compromise style for range either - plus the Vulcan tank looks great anyway imo.

#2 ·
I agree, the Vulcan 900's get great gas mileage! I usually get between 45-50mpg on a tank; once in awhile it'll dip down to 40mpg when I'm rolling on the throttle way too much. I have a friend who has a Suzuki Boulevard M50 and he's constantly stopping to fill it up. Besides only having a 4+ gallon tank, I don't think he gets great mileage either. All I know is I always ask him if he has a full tank before we head out.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
I agree, the Vulcan 900's get great gas mileage! I usually get between 45-50mpg on a tank; once in awhile it'll dip down to 40mpg when I'm rolling on the throttle way too much. I have a friend who has a Suzuki Boulevard M50 and he's constantly stopping to fill it up. Besides only having a 4+ gallon tank, I don't think he gets great mileage either. All I know is I always ask him if he has a full tank before we head out.
Rode to Mount Lemmon on Sunday afternoon and just filled up yesterday. My trip odometer was at 187 miles and the low fuel light STILL hadn't come on yet. I put 3.4gal in the tank and I'm no math major but that means I still had 1.9gal left in the tank. That tank worked out awesome. Averaged out to 54.2mpg on that particular tank. :eek:

#4 ·
Has anyone ever seen the low fuel light come on? I know I have been in the red several times on trips and thought, it will come on before I hit a station but have yet seen it come on. Curious how many miles you got left if it does?

#6 ·
I rode to work a couple weeks ago, then took an evening ride for another 100 miles. My light was on at 175 miles and the fuel gauge was on E. I knew I probably had a little fuel left in the tank but I rode for only another 20 miles before breaking down and getting gas. I only put in 4 gallons! I could have ridden another 60 miles after the light came on!

I was thinking of doing the gas gauge modification to get the thing more accurate, but I may just leave it as is and consider the final gallon my "reserve tank".

I just bought the bike (2009 Custom SE) in September but It's quite a change from my old Honda CB750 that also had a 5 gallon tank but got far worse mileage.

#9 ·
It's a bit unnerving at first because, if you haven't 'corrected' your fuel gauge, it will be on E for quite a while before the light comes on. As for me? I'll get around to doing the fuel gauge mod one day but for now I just ignore it, and go based on my trip odo or fill up when the light comes on.

I can get near 60mpg keeping the speed down, average closer to 50 most of the time. That combined with a 5 gallon tank sure is nice. It's also nice on a long trip with a group, when everyone else stops for gas you've got time to walk around, drink a soda, and still be ready before they are because you won't need gas before the next stop! (Really nice when you have Harley Sportsters in the crowd, 2 gallon tank, gotta stop every 75-100 miles.)

#10 · (Edited)
I like it just the way it is...when the light goes on I've got a great reserve...another 1/4 tank basically (4 liters...a bit over a US gallon, a bit under Imp. gallon). Anyway you cut it, it's great! It works for a guy like me who waits to the bitter end to fill up...gives me plenty of time to get to a gas station. I had an S40 with a small tank (1/2 the VN900) and a 25 km reserve, no trip odometer...wow unerving...math on the go, repeated pit stops and buck buck flip to reserve...now that ain't right.

With the gas mileage of the VN900 I can swing a good 100km (62 miles) easy...give or take dependent on speed. I call it peace of mind. Orange is a fitting color...and the light comes on for me all the time!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.