Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Power Commander V Maps

141K views 543 replies 162 participants last post by  aasomek 
#1 ·
I want to start a new thread on offering maps for the PCV. The first on is set up for Cobra slip-ons plus a Thunder Air Kit. This forum set up won't let me attach a pvm file so I will have to email it to you. I find this map very satisfying for performance.:p

Reactions: jsyring88
#185 ·
I need your email address as this forum doesn't support that file type.

#188 ·
Hey Dave,

Well I broke down and bought the V&H slip-ons then installed the map you sent me. As other people have said...night and day. Engine now pulls steady and hard through all RPM's. The only issue I am having is the sound coming out of the pipes. My hearing has been tested at about 10% more sensitive than normal and the pop,pop,pop of the V&H's is giving me ringing ears after a short time:(. I am going to try some earplugs to see if that will help but if not then the stocks will be going back on and maybe a dynotune will give me most of the smooth performance back.

BTW, I noticed that the exhaust pressure coming out of the right pipe is noticeably greater than the left side. Is that normal?:confused:

#191 ·
Have you thought about installing the gasket that Thunder sells? It doesn't cost much.

#189 ·
Clowe - The popping can be elimnated or atleast reduced by plugging the air injection system. In the right side air cover is a hose connection up at the top left area. Plug the hole and that will prevent air from entering when you get off the throttle.

The exhaust pressure out of the right pipe being stronger is normal. The exhaust system isn't a true dual exhaust. The right side is more like a two into one. The left pipe gets just a little pressure due to the design of the cross-over to it.

#190 ·
David,

I uploaded your map and tried it out today. It is awesome, thank you. Great power all the way from low end to high end. Smooth and predictable. No more flat spot below 2,500 rpm and the engine just sounds and feels happier. My butt tells me it's much more responsive, especially in the 2-3,000 rpm range. I need nothing else. My bike and I are complete. Well, maybe some chrome ...

On some of the comments I've read about loud air filters and pipes, clunking into 2nd gear, belt whining etc., I have found the perfect accessory to cure everything once and for all. Earplugs. I purchased some earplugs from http://earplugsonline.com and they are absolutely fantastic (and cheap!). Best ear plugs I've ever used. The engine now sounds like a symphony, with the air filter "noise" being just another group of woodwinds doing their thing and adding texture and complexity to the beautiful but subdued sound of the pipes moving this wonderful cruising machine down the road. The 1st to 2nd clunk becomes a click, and I don't even think about it any more. Get the earplugs; you won't be sorry!

And now I am all ready for my trip from Vancouver to San Francisco down the coast highway next week. Thanks again Dave, for that wonderful map. It's definitely the icing on the cake!

#192 ·
.So glad to hear your good news. Have a safe & great trip.

#194 ·
Misunderstanding... The popping sound is not on decel, it on accel. Under moderate or hard throttle the sound of a two cylinder engine goes pop, pop, pop. This sound was there even with the stock pipes it was just more muted because of the baffles. That is what is giving me ear issues...the volume, not the sound itself.

#195 ·
Oh, so you are just hearing normal exhaust sounds. It's just that it's loud to you. Well I'm sure the plugs will work.

#198 ·
So after about a month of living with the BIG 3 (and some ear plugs) I have put the stock pipes back on. Tried several different earplugs and while they did take the exhaust noise down to a much less painful level, they all made the inside of my ears very sore after about 30 minutes. So that now brings up a question for davidsheek.

After putting the stocks back on and taking a ride, I did notice a slight decrease in the overall "go", but the pull and smoothness of the engine that I like was still there. Will use it this way for a while but my preliminary judgment is that this will work fine.

I have your last map (8-2012) and at some point I thought you mentioned that with the BAK and PVC but using the stock pipes the engine would be running rich. If that is the case I was looking at modifying your map and maybe doing a 25-30% cut across the board. Make sense to you?

#199 ·
It could run rich but there's so many factors that can cause that. Look, here's what I'd do. Put some miles on it the way it is now and then you'll need to pull the plugs out and check the condition of them. The ceramic in the center will tell you so much in how it's running. I wouldn't change the map until that's done. Can you do that and get back with me?

#200 · (Edited)
Good evening Mr. Sheek. I was wondering if I could get a copy of your PCV map as I will need a solid base setting for my upgrades as well. Any assistance would be appreciated. steve-lovett@hotmail.com

Thank you

#201 ·
Good evening Mr. Sheek. I was wondering if I could get a copy of your PCV map as I will need a solid base setting for my upgrades as well. Any assistance would be appreciated. steve-lovett@hotmail.com
Thank you
Sure thing, it'll be in the mail shortly.:)

#202 ·
A few miles may take a while. Winter is coming here early. Highs are already at the low 50's to high 40's and dropping daily. I'll see what I can get on it in a couple of months and get back to you.

#203 ·
Hey David,
I finally got my new PCV with fuel and ignition installed Saturday. It shut down on my test ride and had to trailer home. It fired up when I got it off but shut down again when I put it inside my enclosed trailer where I keep it. Took me until today to find the problem, but it was my fault. Found the front fuel injector came unplugged. I plugged it back up and it fired back up. After putting everything back on I tested it with a zero map and came back and reinstalled your map and took off again. Ran really good with only a light rumble on decel. Only got to ride about 15 miles so I can't tell much in that few miles.

#206 ·
YEAH YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE IT CLICKS WHEN YOU PUSH IT ON.
Glad you found it with out much problem.
Rumble is a good thing so long as it's not popping. :)

#207 ·
That's great, very glad to help.:D

#205 ·
Thank you for the map Mr.Sheek. I have been waiting 4 weeks for my hurricane air kit and PCV from Phat performance. As soon as they get it to me I will give the map a rip. I have noticed that my bike is shaking like a cement mixer at 3K rpm. It will be going in for leaking base and head gaskets over the winter so I hope to get a month of riding in anyways.Once again thank you and safe riding.

#208 ·
I'm sure you'll like as much as us that use it. You're welcome.

#210 ·
Did you put it on the 900 Vulcan forum?

#211 ·
Great thread you started David...nice job. I keep looking to see if anyone has the same set up as I have and haven't seen a match yet. I have Thunder intake, PC 5 (no ignition advance). I kept the stock pipes, cut through the metal plates in the rear of the baffles ( two of them) didn't drill through the cat material.

The bike runs pretty good with minimal decel popping. around town mpg is 42-44 on the computer. Highway mpg goes way down to around 34 to maybe 36 on the computer. Other post suggest that the computer is being very generous- so I'm getting even worse mileage. I'm running the map I got from
Travis at thunder.

I have a map you sent me a long time ago that I titled dyno tuned map from DavidSheek. I never put the map in as I don't have the same pipes. I keep reading posts from people that have used your latest map and it looks like you've perfected your set up.
Question is, do you think it would work for mine?

#213 ·
I don't believe the pipes have to match so long as they are slip-ons. This map could run a little rich but that could be discovered by simply checking your spark plugs after 50 to 100 miles of good riding. My latest map will work with either PCV-fuel only or the PCV-fuel and ignition. I would say give it a try and check your plugs. I don't remember your e-mail address so resend it it you want my latest map.:p

#215 ·
I would like to thank you once again for the map Mr.Sheek, I have installed my hurricane air kit and PCV with said map and the differance is astonishing. It pulls like a mule on a crack run and no longer shakes like a cement mixer. As far as popping goes I really can't tell as the noise from the air kit and V&H pipes mask all other sounds on the planet.:)

#216 ·
Thanks David.
Loaded the map and went for a short test ride...all I can say is smoooth. The map you sent me is titled "best map so far" and I agree. The bike just runs better everywhere. Don't know about the highway mileage yet, but it just seems happier now, and so am I.

#218 ·
I didn't look through all the posts, too many. Do you have a map for a Kawasaki VN1700 voyager, V&H pro pipe 2-1, with hypercharger pro? I am going to be getting the PCV shortly to replace the cobra autotune and would like a map that is as I mentioned or close to it, thanks. smokey@cvfr.ca

#219 ·
You can use mine. Just sent it. :)

#222 ·
I sent you my map.:)

#221 ·
Just got mine dynoed yesterday, made a bit of a difference for the better, thanks to Dave for sending me the map he had but I knew it would not be quite what the bike needed, but it was an excellent start, as it was that map made the bike run a little rich, the new map is for the 2-1 V&H pro pipe with hypercharger and came out pretty good.

Attachments

#223 ·
systems

i also have the v/h 2into1 but had flat spot issues and noise changed to the quieter baffles and i think the bike performs much better,still loud under throttle but nice and noty at cruise
standard air intake and management system ,just gets hot when idling for awhile
question is is the pcv better than the other management system
had the pcv on my 900 and loved it

#225 ·
You have to save the file to your PC then open it up with the PCV software.
If you need further help just let me know.

#227 ·
Thanks my pcv should arrive today or tomorrow. I was trying to get ahead of the game. Thanks for the information.
Well if you want to get a head start to see how it all works ot just see the map, just download the latest software (1.0.6.4) from this link and check it out,
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Downloads/powercommander_downloads.aspx?ProdType=PCV

If you are new to the PCV, use the "Help" link at the top of the home page of that program and it will tell you everything.:)