Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Microfiber warning

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  1barron 
#1 ·
Went to wipe down my bike after my ride this afternoon and the MF touched the hot exhaust pipe, just for maybe half a second. It instantly melted it on the pipe. Left a hard coating imprint of the towel that was extremely difficult to remove. Ended up scraping it off little by little with a sharp blade then cleaning it up with steel wool. Probably not an ideal solution as the blade left some fine scratches in the chrome.

Anybody else ever have this issue and how did you get it off?

#2 ·
My Sons bike had melted cover on the pipes. We were able to remove with heavy duty EZ off oven cleaner. Just heated the pipe up, sprayed on the ez off then wiped right off. Would never know it happened. You should be able to buff out the chrome once you get all the scratches down to a fine or satin looking finish.

#8 ·
That's why I don't use anything but those heavy duty cloth type drying towels that you buy at the car wash or a store and a good old fashioned high quality chamois. Good tips though in case I ever run across this with someone else.

#10 ·
This is probably off topic but Frog Toggs do the same disappearing act when only contacting the exhaust for a fraction of a second. I used a wet popsicle stick and some non abrasive comet soap powder and it eventually came off, The new Frog Toggs didn't fare so well however. I guess it's back to my Nelson Riggs.

#17 ·
Just have a piece of leather sewn on the area that would hit the pipe, it works great. I paid 10$ to have it done. It is thin leather but works great.

#12 · (Edited)
Some stuff that's really good at cleaning chrome and metal is that Barkeeper's Friend. It's non-abrasive and stings slightly on your skin but isn't harmful to you but if a person has allergies or skin irritation issues they can just use rubber, nitrile or latex gloves when using it. Use it on any metal surface that is NOT HOT though and use water to rinse off completely and repeat if necessary. It doesn't take much of it to work. I always use Q-Tips, soft toothbrushes, wooden dowels, popsicle sticks, non-abrasive scotchbrite, metal scribes, etc. for areas I can't normally reach. Just don't get it in areas where there are cracks and crevices you can't reach but for exterior surface areas it works great.

#16 ·
Use #00 steel wool or finer, and polish, ( mothers, rubbing compound etc.) On a cool exhaust no pun intended, along with a little elbow grease should take care of it.
Did try steel wool and something...maybe it was goo gone...didn't touch it. Maybe should have tried coarser steel wool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.