Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1500 a,b,c,d,e,p,????

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Steammaker 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 classic 1500. That's all I know. I've bought used parts on eBay and they have all fit. But when I want to buy new parts, they ask for an identifier letter. Where do I find this letter or how can I tell which one my bike is?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
There have been a few threads on this and I'd check mine but already in storage... iirc it should be on the manufacturer label which is on the front of the bike on one of the frame posts near the radiator... not sure on your 97, but can't imagine it would be much diff... hth.

#5 ·
I'm doing this from memory, which isn't what it used to be, so bear with me. I think I'm accurate but if not, better minds than mine will join in.

The letters and numbers have meaning. Mine is a 2004 E7. E means they went from 4 speed to 5, 7 is the years after making the change. They went from 4 speed (D series) to 5 speed in 1998, I believe, so a 1998 would be an E1. '99 would be E2, '00 would be E3, 01 an E4, 02 an E5, '03 an E6, and so on. I believe the letter changed to N with fuel injection. 2004 was the last year you could buy a 1500 with a carb, if I recall correctly.

If you have a 1500A thru C, I believe they were the old style Vtwins called BUBFs. They were made from 1988 to 1997, had two carbs and two air cleaners mounted near the front of the tank underneath it, a plain billet motor, a split L/R exhaust that came together on the right side behind the motor, and a 4 sp gear box.

1997 midway through the year they changed the design and introduced the more modern looking single-carb 1500 but it still had a 4 speed gear box.

#8 ·
See, I told you my memory isn't what it used to be! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.