Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Aftermarket hand grip sticking

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Strompilot 
#1 ·
I have an '09 VN900 custom SE, and I decided that it would look and feel much better if I installed aftermarket grips. I wanted to start with the throttle because I am a little scared to cut off the other grip. Turns out that it hits the bar-end and sticks. I have read on another thred that it was prob the bar-end. Well, thats all well and good, but how do I fix it?

#2 ·
not sure what aftermarket gris you bought, but I just recently installed the Kuryakyn ISO grips on my custom. (looks great) I had the same problem at first, but found moving the grip and clamp out about an 8th of an inch cleared up the problem for me. I also looked over the directions again and for sticking throttle grip, it recommends using a little grease. I used white lithium grease. Mine are VERY smooth now. no problems for the last couple weeks while riding.

Hope this helps.
Tony

#3 ·
Grips

Seems a little odd. I just recently put some new grips on my 06 Classic LT, and the throttle slide completely encloses the bar end. I don't see how the grip could even make contact with the bar end. Are you sure it's not on the inside (towards the throttle cables) where it's binding? Like maybe the grip is making contact with the throttle housing? If that be the case just slip the grip down the throttle tube a bit away from the housing.

#4 ·
Seems a little odd. I just recently put some new grips on my 06 Classic LT, and the throttle slide completely encloses the bar end. I don't see how the grip could even make contact with the bar end. Are you sure it's not on the inside (towards the throttle cables) where it's binding? Like maybe the grip is making contact with the throttle housing? If that be the case just slip the grip down the throttle tube a bit away from the housing.
Well, the grips that I bought are (I believe) LA chopper hex grips; black... Very cool looking.

The throttle slide is completely enclosed by the horn/kill switch box. The thing is that the kill switch box has a little nub/ peg thing that slides in a hole in the handle bar, and this makes the box and the throttle grip sit correctly. I know that its binding up on the bar end because when I take the grip off I can see the scrape marks on the end of the handle bars.

I like the grease idea, but its scraping pretty bad. Was thinking of filing down the bar end a little then running with the grease idea... What do you guys think?

#6 ·
On your bike the chrome handle bar is longer than the throttle sleeve, so the grip is sticking to the exposed part of the chrome handlebar? The throttle sleeve should completely cover all of the handle bar under the grip, so the rubber grip is just making contact with the sleeve not the handle bar. If the above is true, you may have to get a new throttle sleeve.

#8 ·
Send them back and get what most use. The most popular are the Kury's and I have a pair of the Fire & Still from kawa.

#9 ·
Throttle sticking; have had to roll it back

09 Vulcan 900, changed to Kuryakyn ISO grips last year, changed to apes 3 mos. ago.

The other day, it was cold, took the bike out and the throttle sticks for the 1st time since owning the 9.

I hear a squeaking under the tank as I twist the throttle without starting the engine. How do I attack the problem? Thinking of WD40, oil penetrant or disassembling. Shd I start with raising the tank or doing the handlebar push pull controls?

Thanks.:confused:

#10 ·
09 Vulcan 900, changed to Kuryakyn ISO grips last year, changed to apes 3 mos. ago.

The other day, it was cold, took the bike out and the throttle sticks for the 1st time since owning the 9.

I hear a squeaking under the tank as I twist the throttle without starting the engine. How do I attack the problem? Thinking of WD40, oil penetrant or disassembling. Shd I start with raising the tank or doing the handlebar push pull controls?

Thanks.:confused:
Sounds like your cables are in need of some lubricant. I would not use WD40 as it could do more harm than good (will damage rubber). Most shops (even bicycle shops) carry good cable lube than will run down the inside cable as you apply. I know there are kits for this as well, but if you are careful you can apply a drop at a time with no mess. I use a tri lube (purchased from my local bicycle shop) that has a nice applicator tube, makes for a clean application on the cables. Should help with our squeaking.

#13 ·
Had the same problem with my throttle sticking when I put on the ISO grips. I tried the greese and it worked for a while. When it started sticking again I took it apart and inspected the clearances carefully. I noticed that the black nylon part that the throttle cable hooks into was rubbing on the grip and binding. I filed the black nylon down and rounded the edges a little to provide adequate clearance and now works perfect. On the clutch side I removed the original grip by just pealing it off and installed the ISO grip without the glue they supplied - just slipped it on andf tapped it home with a rubber mallot. Didn't need the glue. Been on for about 2000 miles now with no problem - takes an awful lot of twisting to move it and no way it's going to pull off.

#14 ·
Success!

Thanks also, Commanche and Collinba; I also did as per your recoms.
First I disassembled the handlebar throttle controls and sprayed everything with a cleaner; then I used light oil to penetrate the cables at the same time turning the throttle in and out. After the fluids seeped in, I was still hearing the squeak so I sprayed a cleaner where the cables went into the fuel system. Squeak gone!

After assembly, I adjusted to a handlebar point where the grip returns with no effort. There is a handlebar spot where it doesn't return. Then I adjusted cables for tension and free play. Locked the nut.

Started the engine. Squeak gone; grip doesn't stick. Perfect!

Thanks, all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.