Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Speedometer not working

31K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Ninskrillz 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had their speedometer / odometer stop working?
I thought it might be the cable was bad, so I changed it. And still nothing.
Could it be the gauge itself or possibly something in the rear hub?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

#2 ·
Did you spin the cable by hand before you put it on to make sure the cable was good?

If you unhook the speedo side of the cable and turn your wheel, is the cable spinning?

#3 ·
I checked the new one by hand before conecting it and it did spin. I will check and see if it spins when i turn the wheel when i get home today. So the dumb question is, if it does spin by turning the wheel, i can assume its the gauge?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 · (Edited)
It's a good place to start. As for if there is a fix for the gauge I do not know. Will have to wait for someone else to chime in.

And make sure it is not kinked up or in a bind.

#8 ·
If the cable is good, the next step would be check the speedomemter receiver in the rear wheel. If not properly seated when the wheel is reinstalled, this part will not allow the cable to spin. May work for awhile then stop. Happened to me. simple fix is, remove from wheel and set in a socket just small enough to jold it and lightly tap it back to streight. The flange will not be at a 90 degree angle to the center. In the following link look at part 41064.
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/mode...c-vn800-b10/assemblies/75102-rear-wheel-chain

#9 ·
thanks Rick. I will defintely give that a try. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

#12 ·
That's my theory too, Rick. It had a new rear tire when I bought it. I replaced the speedo gears and oil seal to be thorough. I never found the shavings from the receiver and wanted to start with nice clean parts.

#13 ·
That happened to me just as I crossed the state line from W. Va. going into Ohio couple years ago. When I ordeded the new peice from the dealer, he said that it happens when not seated properly, not really a wear item.

#15 ·
It's attached to the hub, not to the brake plate. There's a snap ring that keeps it in place. Mine was mangled and greasy and hard to recognize. Check the rear wheel fiche online at Ron Ayers or Kawasaki and you'll see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.