Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

help plse

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  winstoncup 
#1 ·
Petrol light and temperature light comes on together randomly and then turns off.No error code comes up and tank is full. Have checked coolant levels and radiator looks ok.
I have unhooked battery hoping it may reset itself ,where to from here?
1500 classic FI 2001

#2 ·
Perhaps a bad connection. May try using a contact cleaner on the plugs that go to the instrument panel. Most electronic stores, Radio Shack, handle products just for this type of thing. Many auto parts stores as well.

#3 ·
Some questions:

1. How many miles on the bike?
2. How long have you owned?
3. Does the light flicker or does it come on, stay on for a bit, then go off?
4. When does it seem to do it? When you are stopped, turning a corner, etc?
5. Any electrical modifications, light bar, etc?
6. Any recent work done of any kind?
7. Key on, no start, do the temp and fuel lights come on and then go out as they should?

This is a case where a bad connection would cause the light not to work when it should vs. working when it should not.

Post back.

#4 ·
ok bike is new to me
30000 on dial no lighting mods I have owned for two weeks brought from a dealer .
When i start it up all lights work perfectly .key turned on all lights come on start it up only two lights stay on Fuel and temp.
Borth lights are solid when i rode above 50 kmh and flicker or go out wen below 50.Both lights stay on in a straight line and going round corners

#5 · (Edited)
OK, this is going to require some tricky and more complex troubleshooting. If you are willing to dive in the deep end, we can proceed.

Really, though, if you have had it for only two weeks, I think the dealer should fix. But the BIG question is, can they???
If you decide to return it and they want you to spend heavy duty money, post back with what they say before parting with the cash so I can see if it makes sense.

Post back.

#6 · (Edited)
Talked to the dealer and he has been very helpful I arranged to have a local Kawasaki dealer look,fix and talk with dealership that sold me the bike.
All costs should be met by him as it does come with 3 mnth warrantee.
I only asked because i thought if it was a quick fix then I should do it,but after checking basics or logical things,decided was getting beyond me so asked you guys really for connfirmation to see if there was something I was missing.
Dealership picked it up today so will update once I get it back.

#7 ·
@wainui: sounds like you took the right path and good to hear the dealer stand up and do the right thing for you... ;) good luck and let us know how you make out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.