Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Anyone ever seen these cuts/splits on Bridgestones?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Windburn Bill 
#1 ·
I have Bridgestone Excedra G721's front and rear, don't have 500 miles on them and then i see this yesterday on my front tire. It looks like the tire is splitting-I don't know how these could be cuts, nothing on the rear tire-they almost go diagonally across the tread.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like an odd pattern to split. Do you have any enemies? Lol. I ran over an open pocket knife one time ( I saw it on the road last second) and had a similar cut. But not multiple. I'd take em back to where you bought em and ask there might be a defect or something. Looks to clean of a cut to be dry rot or anything.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 · (Edited)
I came across the following Michelin tire information doing research about this very issue. It seems to be common among tire manufacturers but tire manufacturers, tire shops or tire stores never say a word about it to the customer which is bad business practice if you ask me. Perhaps they don't say anything until someone speaks up about it since any wear on a tire will wear out as long as it doesn't exceed tread depth specs for that tire. I wonder if this is what you see and you are experiencing? Other than tire manufacturing defects and road damage I would guess it is the same thing. I have seen the same issue appear on my tires. Since the tires are still relatively new I would go ask where you bought them to ask and find out for sure. Wish you success.

"Pilot Power/Pilot Road Technical Information

Anti Static strip

When a motorcycle is in use there is a build up of static within the machine. It is necessary to ensure that this is dispersed during usage.
In order to facilitate this there is a carbon black strip built into the tyre during manufacture. This strip is moulded into the tyre before curing using carbon, as this is a good conductor of static electricity. This strip is practically invisible on a new tyre, but can appear as the tyre wears, especially if the usage of the motorcycle is not high. There is no detrimental effect on the performance of the tyre either before, during or after this strip has become apparent. The positioning of this groove is slightly ‘off centre’ and can be seen."

#4 ·
I bought the tires from Motorcycle Superstore. Took the tire and wheel in to have a new tire installed, they (Ride Now), said they've seen other tires like this recently and think it's some idiot(s) slicing tires. I worked for Bridgestone a few years ago and it doesn't look like a defect, looks like 3 or 4 swipes with a razor...could have happened anywhere I guess. I can't think of any enemies, just some sick bastard I guess.

#7 ·
That is what I was thinking.

#9 ·
i noticed that this is on a front tire... if you ran over a piece of glass or a piece of sheet and it got caught up inside the fender could do this as well

#10 ·
my last rear tire had very similar marks on it. i just assumed it was something i ran over. switched to the bridgestone excedra and all has been good. i did develop a habit of checking the whole tire before each ride

#11 ·
That's all true guys, I agree and have seen and experienced the same things that cause cuts like this whether it is caused by a person, road hazards, road conditions, manufacturing defects, manufacturing processes or a combination thereof.

However, the "slices" that suddenly appear on tires even when brand new and nothing but good pavement has met these tires is what I am talking about here. It is reasonable that there simply can NOT be such a widespread existence of box-knife wielding punks hell-bent on slicing up motorcycle tires to challenge the logic of why carbon strips are used by manufacturers. As I said it seems that the most logical reason was someone had caused this damage with a box-knife or that it could have been the other reasons you all also know can cause this.

Disregarding these other things though and according to manufacturers these "molten carbon strips" are placed in the tire during manufacturing. Since rubber is extruded and cooled much like molten lava during the manufacturing process it is also reasonable that due to expansion/contraction/heating/cooling/suspension processes combined with the tensile/chemical/physical differences of all the materials being used to manufacture a tire are what cause this "irregular" pattern at differing tread depths within the tire itself and that we eventually see on the surface of tread wear areas. Much like the earth's strata layers being exposed by erosion and the deeper you go the stranger it may look but it would still be normal according to what we know of the earth's properties and characteristics.

Thus, these slices appear during normal tire use, are irregularly shaped and patterned and resemble razor cuts or road hazard damage such as we may think or suggest but are not actually damage and this only if the carbon strips are the only thing causing this "sliced look" in the tire. According to the manufacturers that is! :D I've never talked to a tire manufacturing rep myself but I just might if I can find the time. I simply came across that RED TEXT NOTE on a Michelin site and passed it on. Obviating my inability to perform a chemical composition analysis all I can tell you with certainty is that it is an annoying thing to find these on tires.

#13 ·
Yes, I agree that nobody rejects any of the causes we all have shared (including myself) and I always try to be as clear and positive as possible when I post so I don't want anyone to get the impression or idea I am rejecting anything. I'm just sharing information about what the tire manufacturers do with the carbon that causes this to happen and appear as though it is random razor cuts but of course this is according to the manufacturers' explanations. I'm sure it would be just as annoying to others who buy motorcycle tires and find this happening. I wonder if they use carbon strips in other tires then? That's why I posited that I should call up one of those tire manufacturing reps. The manufacturers' explanation is that as the tire wears the carbon wears off like the rubber and it leaves the channel or slice that is visible since the material is obviously harder and stronger than the rubber. Any tire reps out there who can pitch in here? I personally don't care about static cling, charges or electricity that the manufacturers worry so much about so are there any tires that don't have carbon strips in them? I've never heard of anyone having problems with their bikes because of, claiming they had a mishap or their relatives claiming wrongful death on account of static charge buildup. There's always a first time for everything though! :D

#14 ·
maybe some one should tell Keebler or Lance about that. Those dang cracker packs always stick to my hand. :D :D

#15 · (Edited)
I think the notion of a slightly different wear area is a considerable stretch to cut-like appearance in the treads, or your equating a channel to a slice.

FWIW, I have Michelin Pilot Roads 2 on my crotch rocket and there is absolutely no unusual wear appearance, let alone anything remotely resembling cuts in the tread.

#16 ·
Strange. 40 years of riding I've never seen cuts like that on a M/C tire. My last two bikes used OEM Bridgestones so I've been through several sets of Excedras and an Excedra Max in past few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.