Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

help-bike wont go

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Bumpet 
#1 ·
My 98 1500 classic was running fine a few months ago, but recently when I took it out on a nice day for a ride it would not move. When I put it in first gear it gives a little lerch forward like it always did, but when I let the clutch out it acts like its in nutreal and dosent move at all. The clutch lever dosent have the same feeling when I pull it in as it did before. The fluid reservoir is full.

#3 ·
It is a 98 model has there been any clutch work done to it in the past? Also any recent oil changes? Was it an abrupt change or has it gradually been getting worse and worse.

Throw out some more info
Mileage?
any resent mods?

#4 ·
Remove the top of the clutch master cylinder and peer down to the bottom.
There you will see two small holes. Gently poke a nylon bristle or copper wire into the holes to ensure they are free.
If that works, then a fluid flush and refill will be in order.

#5 ·
I put a clutch spring in about 3 years ago. No oil change recently. I have 31,000 miles on the bike. Like I said, it ran good when I put it away, no problem at all. Now all of a sudden it dosen't want to move. I would think that if the clutch isn't being released it would not go into gear and if it did it would surge ahead. It just acts like its in neutral except for the slight jerk when I put it in gear.

#8 ·
Good advice so far. Try this....

Start the bike with it in first gear, clutch pulled in and brakes on (might give you a jerk as it starts). If the clutch plates are sticking, a lot of times this will free them.

Had a friend with a similar problem and this cured it.

#9 ·
I am agreeing with sfair. It sounds like your relief port is clogged not letting the fluid back off the pressure to release the clutch. See if you can clean them out and let us know if that works or not.

#10 ·
Thank you all that responded to my post. I siphoned out the old fluid from the master cylinder. Cleaned out the hole on the bottom and put in fresh fluid. Started the bike, put it in gear, and what do ya know, problem solved. You guys (and maybe girls) are great. I have another problem that I will post at a future date. Thank you all again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.