Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Sputtering/ no power in 2-5 gear need help

14K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  KenDawg 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 with 2k miles on it. I have never had an issue with the bike, until today. I was riding down the freeway and it started sputtering almost like it wasn't getting any gas. Then it stalled, when I started back up it idled perfect, first gear perfect but as soon as I shifted to second gear and gave it gas it started sputtering, backfiring and died out again. I pulled off again and turned it off waiting a few minutes and then tried again with the same results idle and first gear work perfect but as soon as I shift to any other gear it sputters, lacks any power, and just backfires. The f1 light comes on only after I shift into a higher gear. It will let me ride like nothing is wrong in 1st gear no matter how hard I hit the throttle but as soon as I switch to 2nd or 3rd I experience the issue. Any idea's what this might be? Bike has 3inch straight pipes, a barons big air kit, and power commander.

#2 ·
Do you have a service manual? If so, check out the troubleshooting section, but with your fuel mgmt system installed you'll have to take that into consideration.

Without testing fuel pressure, my guess would be along these lines a fuel pump, fuel filter, bad fuel (water), fuel line obstruction. After these it could be the power cmdr (you could test by removing), and finally the ECU.

I am surprised it does not cut out during first gear acceleration. Hope you find your problem.

#3 ·
Bad gas, was it laid up for the winter? Too much Stabil?

#4 ·
Check the hoses on top of the cylinders, I had a lot of backfiring etc one time after 1st, I found the vacum hose on top of the cyclinder had come off

#7 ·
First thing I would do is get some fresh fuel in there if it has been sitting of a while. (doubt it is because of winter since you are in Hawaii)

Second thing I would do is check the charging system, low power going to the ECU and Fuel System can cause some crazy symptoms.

Third for me would be the PC. I can't help it but I tend to follow the aftermarket added parts before I suspect factory components.

A question for the 900 gurus, does the 900 have a shifter position sensor like the V2Ks. The V2Ks timing changes depending on what gear it is in. The reason I ask is because I find it odd that it doesn't cut on in 1st.

#10 ·
Thanks so much for all the help. The thing that throw me is it works fine at idle and in first gear. I ride the bike almost everyday, in fact before it did this I had been riding the same morning without any issue, then in the afternoon this happened about ten min into my ride. I did check all the hoses and everything there looks fine. When I removed the PC I thought that fixed it as i was able to somewhat ride but I got to 3 gear and same issue, and now it's doing the same thing in every gear other then first again. As far as gas it's on half tank and was put in from the same place I always go. I go through a tank in about 2-3 weeks. I don't have a battery tender so checking that myself is out right now. Any other thoughts?

#14 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear you have not found the problem yet. I suggest you see what error code is stored in the ECU. You can do this yourself. If you can secure a manual, copy down the procedure and see what you've got. If I'm not mistaken the PC taps into the wire coming off of the throttle position sensor. Check that connection point for damage to the OEM wire.

#12 ·
Yea I did, when I first started up the bike ran rougher then normal most likely due to the BAK and pipes. Then when I went to test it same stuff happened. If feels like there is water in the fuel but that does make since because then 1st gear wouldn't work either

#15 ·
Ok, if you cannot force the problem in first gear as outlined in post #13, here are my thoughts:

1. ECU senses gear position using engine rpm and speed sensor output.
2. The possible reasons for this may be for ignition advance curve and sub-throttle control.
3. If you pull the error codes, and they show error 62, you may have an actual ECU failure.
4. When the ECU goes to the sub-throttle map for a higher gear, it is failing.
5. The above could apply to ignition control too.
6. The sub-throttle operates in a closed circuit configuration, so if expected and observed positions do not match, it shuts down.

This could be the reason that the fault is gear sensitive.

Just some ideas.

#17 ·
Thanks for all the help/suggestions. Since it was still under warranty I took it into the shop and they said the power commander caused the tps to go bad. Anyone heard of that before? They replaced the tps but wouldn't put the power commander back in saying that was what caused the tps to go bad. Now the bike runs really lean due to the pipes and big air kit. Should I reinstall the power commander or does it actually make since that it could have caused the issue?

#18 ·
It's always good practice for a company to blame another's product for their failure. How can you argue with it? Personally, this is the first time I've heard this story. The dealer is, in essence, saying your PowerCommander is faulty. If you think this may be true, then send the unit back to DynoJet and ask them to test it. Give them the particulars that the dealer said. If you have your doubts about the product's safety on you bike, go with one of the Cobra products. They do not connect to your TPS.

#19 ·
No Dealer is going to recommend an aftermarket product for warranty work. It's simple liability. When it comes to working on a warranty bike, it's strictly by the book.

IMHO, you need to do one of two things. Either you need to remove your BAK and pipes, or install some form of fuel management. Running lean like that is not an option, it could potentially damage the bike not to mention poor performance (It'll likely run better and more powerfully stock than with BAK and pipes, but no fuel management).

Fuel processors are only as good as their map anyway. My suggestion? That would be the second option. Find a shop that does performance work, have THEM install your power commander, run it on the Dyno, and get it dialed in. I've not heard of a power commander causing anything to fail; but if improperly installed it probably could do all sorts of nasty things! It'll cost you a couple hundred bucks to have it dyno'ed but it will be dialed in, and you'll know the PC was professionally installed.

#20 ·
Fuel processors are only as good as their map anyway. My suggestion? That would be the second option. Find a shop that does performance work, have THEM install your power commander, run it on the Dyno, and get it dialed in. I've not heard of a power commander causing anything to fail; but if improperly installed it probably could do all sorts of nasty things! It'll cost you a couple hundred bucks to have it dyno'ed but it will be dialed in, and you'll know the PC was professionally installed.
Unfortunately none of the shops out here have a Dyno, so I am stuck using the maps that dynojet has put out, the map I was using had the bike running great, and it was installed by a shop originally. I guess I will have to send it to dynojet to test it, I can't see that it did cause the issue but better safe then sorry.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.