Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Need Help Please-issue with turn signals

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Collinba 
#1 ·
So here is my problem, replaced stock turn signals with a great looking chrome bullet. All my lights, 2 spotlights, headlamp and running turns work up front. I blew something on the bike and replaced the appropriate fuses. My rear turn lamps will not work nor will the front ones either. Meaning, they will not blink. I have checked fuses, connections under seat, and lamps. They all look good. I'm replacing lamps even though the filaments look good. I replace the turn signal relay with 25 amp two plug automotive so please jump in. It should be noted that my red tail light works along with the license plate light? crazy

#3 ·
Do they light up and just dont flash, or do they not light at all? If they all light when you turn on the signal, guess either wrong or bad flasher. sometimes even new can be defective. If they are lighting, is it the bright side if a 2 filiment bulb?

#6 ·
Yes the front two light up, these are the ones from ebay, nice bullet style. the stock rear turns don't flash and I replaced the bulbs and cleaned the switch on handlebar with cleaner, making sure contact was good. I have three wires coming out of the front, two wires are designated flash and running, I have my ground and not sure where is goes. I've tried to ground it to the chrome housing in between the nut and bolt, but still no difference. I install a heavy duty 25 amp relay (automotive) and it didn't flash either? Thanks for the help

#8 ·
Did you cut the wires to install them? If you have the wires hooked up backwards they may not flash. I checked as I wired them up before I made the permanent connections when I put LED's on the back. I wired the first one backward and when I checked it it did not flash. Switched the wires around (I mean hot and ground - not left and right signal wires) and they flashed.

#9 ·
Be careful with the wiring for turn signals. I once hooked up an alarm to get the turn signal lights to flash when armed, etc. The problem was I hooked them up backwards and burnt out my stator which had to be replaced. Expensive mistake to say the least.
Like a earlier post suggested be sure you are not mixing LED's and bulbs without proper loads.
Have you tried measuring any voltages?
Good luck.

#11 ·
They are bulbs. (Halogen), I know they blink when I first put them on. I did notice that they are a single filament. In the front I've read that they should be two? Also, I took one of the wires from the new light off and the rear now works crazy?

#13 ·
Yep, since the front are used as turn signals and running lights, they will have two filiments. The rear are just flashers and will have only one filiment. Normaly due to bulb type, one will not install in the other because the pins are spaced different on the bulbs.
Like Sfair mentioned give us some numbers and pics if available.

#14 ·
Sounds as though you don't have a ground. If you replaced the turn signal with an automotive one you likely need to ground it. When I replaced mine with the Single Minder relay to automatically turn the flash off after 20 seconds they provided a sparate ground wire that I had to install as the OEM relay does not require a ground wire. There is a good ground point on the right side under the battery cover they have already installed a couple of ground wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.