Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Realistic pricing for a 2013 classic LT?

6K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  whiting57 
#1 ·
I am interested in purchasing a 2013 Vulcan 900 classic LT soon. The list price is $9699 plus freight and prep. What would be a reasonable price to pay (or offer) for this bike, out the door, before tax and tags?

Is there a "rule of thumb" on a discount? :confused:

#2 · (Edited)
You can normally negotiate for the dealer to 'eat' the freight and prep, which would save you about a $1000. Then, if they aren't willing to give you any discounts or negotiate on the price, ask for gear/accessories to be thrown in or discounted. The dealer where my wife bought her Honda Shadow Spirit 750, they ate the freight and prep and give us 10% off all accessories and gear.

#4 ·
No problem. You could also find a better deal if you could find a leftover 2012 or 2011 sitting around.

#5 · (Edited)
Just my opinion, but I would look for a used one. I got my bike new (as a leftover) but only because I could not find what I was looking for used anywhere close to me. About an hour away from me now there is a 2010 LT with 2500 miles. The seller is asking $6400 and he would probably go lower than that.

Unless you just have to have new I would peruse craigslist and some dealers before dropping that much money. In fact, I just looked at central NJ on craigslist and found a 2011 Vaquero with 1100 miles for $11k which isn't much more than you'll end up paying for that LT. Just some things to think about while doing your shopping.

#6 ·
I am in DFW TX, be interesting to see what they list here for, will let you know

#7 ·
Msrp or "list price" is same all over the country....

#8 ·
I guess I should have stated in my opening remarks that I am currently riding a 2006 Vulcan 1500 classic set up basically like an LT...black with whitewalls. I am 69 years old and I want to go to a lighter bike to save the legs and knees. This very well could be my last bike so I want the newest available. I will have to negotiate on my trade with the dealer, or sell it outright.......so I need a realistic starting point on the price I could really buy the bike for. I don't want to beat up the local dealer too bad (I'd like him to stay in business because he is the only one within 40 miles of me).....but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners either.

#9 ·
i bought a 06 Classic with 2800 miles for 3000.00 this year! and then added enough comfort stuff to look as if I had LT status. I have 5000.00 in her and added stuff not necessary like passenger floor boards, chrome add on's..

I would not buy new unless you just want new....deals are out there because well because....

#10 ·
The 900 market is flooded with used bikes because a lot of people learned on the 900, and promptly traded it in on something bigger. OR, they learned on a 900, decided motorcycling wasn't for them, and turned around and sold it. It is EASY to get a very low miles, excellent condition Vulcan 900 with extras for around $5,000

My bike I bought for $5,000 out the door, it's an LT, it had 8,000 miles on it, and was in pristine condition. It was owned by an older gentleman who wanted to get back into riding, rode it for a couple of years, decided he really needed a trike, so he traded it for a Harley Tri-Glide.

Nothing wrong with new either, but just wanted you to be aware of how excellent the used market is on these bikes. If you want to buy new, as others have said, look into leftover models. My wife just got a 2011 Shadow 750 Aero for about $6800 OTD, and the MSRP I think is about $8500. Nothing changed between '11 and '12. It's a brand new bike, for it for almost 2 grand less than 'current'. Still has the same, full warranty. It's definitely the way to go unless the current model year just has something new you have to have. (Which, in the case of the 900, not really. There were some mild changes with the '13 lineup but, IMO, nothing worth paying extra for. Get a leftover '11 for thousands less, and instead of the new redesigned seat, spend the money on a custom made Russel and STILL be ahead)

Good luck!

-John

#13 ·
I believe the "rule of thumb" on next year's model this year is, you pay whatever they are asking. If I HAVE to buy new I look for a non-current year model first. Even the discounted asking price for a new old stock bike is more flexible than the price of a 2013. I will also go for aftermarket upgrades over more expensive factory upgrades, since they tend to be better anyway. HERE a new 2011 Classic can be had for $6999 and you could most likely get them to add any accessories added in for a discounted price as well.

#15 ·
It's always harder to negotiate on newer models. I was able to get a luggage rack at cost price installed and 20% off accessories for a year which was a no brainer since they gave that to every new buyer at my end. The bike was very competitively priced even though it was $300 dollars cheaper at another dealer 1 hr away. They wouldn't budge...however, you got to think of where your going to go if you have problems.

It's much easier to get larger discounts on left over models...if there are any! At my end, they sell these like hot cakes. That's why they don't budge much. They know they will sell it. I have yet to see a left over model...even getting the color you want is difficult, you get what's left. A testomony to the popularity of this bike.

If you know what to look for, private owner deals could be excellent. It takes no time at all to mount up the $$$ on accessories and you can bet you're bottom dollar that you'll put some on. You get the basics at the dealer but that's the tip of the iceberg. It's seldom that a seller will get much back out of the cost of accessories. The bike is bullet proof and thus unless it's been beatten up real bad, there in good shape. Just got to know what to look for.

On another note, 2013 models got a price hike...about $300.00 As well, there have been some changes, mostly cosmetic, however, if you like chrome, the later models have alot more "blacked" out. Something to consider.

Good Luck!

#18 ·
I found it !!! 2012 Vulcan 900 classic LT invoice 8264. so you use 8264 + 8.75% tax in CA, it comes out 8987. so make another 300 for dealers to do their paper works and etc....you can get OTD everything include for 9300 OTD price.....hunt around at lease 6 dealer e-mail tham. you will get it.....i got my invoice plus tax and another 250....came out 8600....not bad.

#19 ·
Wow, now you folks gave me alot of options........hey but that is good. There is no rush, winter weather coming fast in New Jersey (best time to buy though),and if I need a 2-wheel fix, I know my trusty 2006 Vulcan classic is always ready to go.

Well, time to ponder, search craigslist, cycletrader, etc., and thank you all for the quick and helpful replies. :)

#21 ·
Like others have said be patient and look for leftovers or newer used bikes. These next couple months is the best time to buy. A year ago at this time I got a brand new 2011 900 Classic for $6200 (MSRP was $8299) out the door for $7100

I wouldn't pay MSRP for a brand new 2013 bike. Too many good deals are out there.

Good luck in your search

#23 ·
Hi Ernie C,

I ride with a national group called the Retreads (you have to be 40 to join). Alot of the guys ride Goldwings. There is a guy that is a few years older than me that bought a Kawasaki Concours about a year ago. It is not uncommon for him to get out on the superslab on the way home, and punch it up to 100 plus. We are old guys, but we ride, and have fun. As you get older you just have to make some compensations like a lighter bike, etc. Just hang in there. You'll make it. :)

#24 ·
So true!!, I am 55 and stop riding when I was 30 just started again after I had surgery this summer, I ride an 06 900 LT and very happy with it.
I google the Retreads, :)

#25 ·
Senior Biker: My former bike (my 8th) was a Suzuki Cavalcade and with the wife, me and gear, after 55, an injury and some arthritis, it got too heavy for me too. Laid off for eight years and got me a new 2012 900 Classic SE in July. (Wife can't ride anymore.) Paid about $500 more than for the 2011 sitting next to it but figured it would bring a little more when I sold it. Got me some over the ankle Bates boots to support my ankles (old injury had caused it to sprain three different times). They work great. Got some protective gear. Will probably be my last bike. I'm 64 and ride with several guys my age and older.

#26 ·
Just two weeks ago, I picked up a new 2012 900 Classic (not LT) for $6999, out the door. They were asking $6999 + taxes (13% here in Ontario) but I was able to talk them into eating the tax. Just negotiate and be willing to walk away. Don't fall in love with it, there is always another one. I bought mine 2 hours away from where I live and even with the cost to trailer it home I was ahead over $1500 from the local dealer.

Also, here in Canada they are offering a 2 year factory warranty on all 2012's, instead of the standard 1 year. Not sure if this is the case in the States.

#27 ·
just remember when it comes time for warranty work that the dealer may remember that you priced from him yet went out of town to buy... and he may treat you accordingly !
Also the classic lt always did come with the 2 yr warranty.

#28 ·
Big Worm,

Yes, this is an important consideration and you should take this seriously. I was facing a situation where we have 2 dealers in town. One had a single 2012 left and the other did not have a single Vulcan, of any flavour, in stock. The one dealer was not willing to negotiate on price (don't blame them!) so I ended up going 2 hours away to a dealer that had 8 of them still in stock.

My warranty work will be done by the dealer that did have any stock. I bought my 2009 Vulcan 500 from them a few years ago and they have been treating me well.

#29 ·
It is not uncommon for him to get out on the superslab on the way home, and punch it up to 100 plus
if its a Connie 14, he must not be game to get it out of 2nd gear .... LOL

#30 ·
It is a Connie 14. He is game, but has an aversion to losing his license (the radar boys have a habit of showing up when and where you least expect them along that stretch). So he tends to give it a quick hit just to get the cobwebs out of the pipes. PS. He never offered to let me give it a try......damn.

#31 ·
New models you pay top dollar, past new models, you get a discounted price, but remember, you are also getting a quicker depreciation in value.

I tend to buy new past models, sell them privately vs trade, and command full pop. As i state in my selling ads, i would like to sell, but i dont have to.

The last bike i sold, i got $200 more for it than i paid new .... shop around, this is a great time of year to buy and there are great deals to be had, new or used.

Check the KBB values before buying new or used, that new 2010 that maybe in the showroom is going to take a big hit once its rolled off the floor.

The other consideration is developing a great long term relationship with your dealer, this can save you a ton of dough in future years on parts, accessories and service. The dollar spent today may save you many dollars in the future. All deals have to be a win / win situation. Screw your dealer to the floorboards today, he may not be in business tomorrow, or my screw you back when you may need some thing from him.

When Its about developing relationships, everybody can win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.