Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Voyager Owners Thread

157K views 646 replies 117 participants last post by  rick 
#1 ·
I figure since the Vaq guys have their thread - Why not? Post Voyager specific questions/info here . . .:D

#2 ·
Saddlebag Guard bags

As the first post in this new thread - Does anyone know if there are any saddlebag guard bags that fit the Voyager??

This is what I am looking at, but I think that Harley Guards are 15" high . . .

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks Napom. I no longer feel homeless.

#5 ·
Thanks Napom. It's always fun to have friends to play with! I've never seen the saddlebag guards for the Voyager.

Terry...

#12 ·
I have the handle bar mount one enroute to me . . . Figure it will be good for the coffee . . I was looking for the saddlebag guard bags to hold water bottles . . . My buddy with an Ultra has them and he uses the water bottle holders all the time - Riding behind him around Lake Meade in 120 + temps made me jealous and made me realize that I need those bags when I get a bike with Saddle Bag guards . . . Now I have the bike - just need the bags!

I thought us Voyager riders had the whole section and we were giving the Vaquero owners a little piece of cyber space. LOL!
Shhhhh! You weren't supposed to let them know that! :eek: Something tells me that their thread will be far more active because they have more to bitch about and we'll all be out riding!:D

#15 ·
That's the one I had on my VTX. I haven't transferred it to the VV, yet, but I plan on it before my next ride. I like it well enough. I usually use a closable bottle.

#19 ·
Thanks! I've seen that one and am considering it . . . Want both bottle holder & extra storage though . . . Gonns check at bike shows for something compatible . . .

#17 ·
Hello all...I just bought a 2009 Voyager after selling my Valkyrie Interstate. I have already ordered a Barefoot Willies cupholder and Iphone holder which I installed last night. It works pretty well but takes up a lot of the area between the handlebars. I also order an Ipod cable and an Ipod dock extender cable to run to my phone so i don't have to hide it in my side compartment. Ordered a Utopia Backrest (the best in my opinion) which is being made and Kuryakn ISO pegs. On my list when I save up so more money, is the Cobra saddle back tops and matching trunk rack. I want the rear speakers, but they will have to wait for a while. Let me know if you want to see any pics ofthis stuff once I get it on.

#22 ·
#26 ·
I use this one:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/152-510

I strapped it to my left rear chrome guard / bar. I used a zip tie to fasten the bottom end, but it works well. The price is right too.

#24 · (Edited)
The tank bib with pouch is one of the best things I did to mine . . got it from Sagebrush designs but without the whale tail or the stitching - that looks nice!

Man I like the sigle color Voyagers you Canadians were able to get!

#25 ·
Kickstand

I see some of you have put on a VN1500 Kickstand - I'm assuming this is because it is taller maybe and you don't have to heft it up so much to get it off the stand . . . Is this the case? If so is there any year 1500 that works better than others or are they all interchangeable?:confused:

#27 ·
I purchased my 2010 Voyager the last day of April 2010. I have since put 27,000 miles on it and have made the following modifications.

Kawasaki Dark tint deflector windshield
Rifle 14" Dark Tint windshield
Kawasaki Heated seats
Kawasaki Gel Seats
Grasshopper backrest that I sold this past summer.
Kawasaki Rider backrest
Kawasaki Tall Passenger backrest
Showchrome trunk rack
Trunk rack luggage bag
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Marvella's Passenger Highway Pegs
Marvella's Driver drink cup and holder
Marvella's Trailer hitch receiver
Marvella's Cargo Rack
Marvella's Rear Turn Signal Extenders
Marvella's Passenger grab Rails
RAM mounts GPS mount
RAM mounts Passenger drink holder
Sheepskin Pelt on seats
Kawasaki Chrome passenger floorboard covers
Kawasaki Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir cover
Kawasaki Chrome front caliper trim
PIAA H8 Xtreme white fog light bulbs
Kawasaki driver and passenger communication headsets
Kawasaki IPOD connector
Wolo Dual 120Db High Low horns
Kawasaki Saddlebag and trunk luggage
Chrome Eagle license plate frame
Kawasaki CB kit
Kawasaki Chrome Front Fender Trim
Kawasaki Chrome Saddlebag Top Rails

If you have any questions about anything I have done to my bike don't hesitate to post here or drop me a PM if I don't repond in a couple days.

#30 ·
Where did you mount the WoLo Horn? I'm ordering one (have had one on both previous bikes) and was just looking for ideas where to mount it. It almost looks like it would fit in same area as original horn...also debated putting it on left side toward sthe front of engine on frame.

#32 · (Edited)
Cheap GPS solution

So I picked up a 3.5mm audio plug with which to splice into the audio wire harness in the left storage compartment of my VV, and also ran a usb cable from the power outlet on the right side of the faring so I can charge my phone while its in use.

The results are as follows:
Pandora play great as long as you maintain data connection while riding in the sticks

Pandora also works with the "Navigation" gps program that comes with my Galaxy 2 but it is unable to mute the music while its giving directions which can be heard but not clearly at times

The "Navigation" GPS program is able to mute the built in mp3 player thus making it easier to uderstand the directions while moving and for which reason I have loaded up my phone with ton of tunes which I play in ramdom mode. The biggest surpise is that the phone maintains gps signal connectivity 98% of the time and retrianglates within seconds of loosing the signal while locked away in the storage compartment thus making it a viable cheaper alternative when considering that it would cost me roughly $300.00 for a good billet GPS mount and roughly $900.00 for an adequate GPS system

feel free to ask me any question you may have conerning this setup.

#33 ·
Well done. I bought a used GPS mount for $75 and used my existing Zumo 550 (about $600 new). I put my cell phone in my trunk and use an iPod ($115) with the Kawasaki connector ($100). So, I spend nearly $1000 on what you accomplished for $300.

#34 · (Edited)
New Pipes

I installed my new Tri-Oval and love the deep bass idle, and acceleration, and better throttle repsonse through most of the power bands. I do also have the famous popping on deceleration, but what I find puzzling is it seems to have a significant popping sound on acceleration, much like a backfiring sound during the intial throttle twist, which I was not expecting. Is this normal? Otherwise I'm all smiles exspecially how it quite down at cruise.
I also noticed strong gas fumes at idle or low RPM so I decided to remove the plug I had installed into the air box hose to reduce the decel popping with the stock pipes, which did not help so I re-plugged it. Hoping I will run into other VV owners with Tri-Ovals this summer so we can compare notes.

#35 ·
Sabble Bag/Trunk lights

I have been looking for something to light up my saddle bags and trunk - You know when you pull off the road on a dark night and have to find something - like maybe a flashlight . . . So I saw these listed in RoadRunner magazine and had to try them out

http://www.brite-strike.com/APALS.html

I bought a 10 pack of white lights and put them on today - I mounted one in each saddle bag just above the latch on the top side so it shines down into the bag when on. I put 5 in my trunk - one on the top shining down and one centered along the top edge of the bottom of the trunk . . . Then I realized I still had 3 left . . . Hmmmmm . . . One centered on the door of each glovebox left me with a spare . . .

They aren't the brightest and aren't going to light up the bags so you can find the screw to your eye glasses, but they are bright enough to give you general illumination to find your way around the bags - And the nice thing is they don't take up space . . .

I ordered the 10 pack from the police/military page - no ID needed - worked out being cheeper than ordering 2 packs at the normal page at 10 bucks each. I got some reds that I may mount on the back of my helmet for rainy day illumination and/or when I am tail gunning for a ride . . . Pretty slick little lights!:D

#36 ·
I have been looking for something to light up my saddle bags and trunk - You know when you pull off the road on a dark night and have to find something - like maybe a flashlight . . . So I saw these listed in RoadRunner magazine and had to try them out

http://www.brite-strike.com/APALS.html
Interesting lights. Their purpose is really to be seen instead of illuminating the area around them which is why they don't light up much in your bags. I really like the police gloves they sell. turn them on when the guy in front of you won't move over. LOL!

#39 ·
#40 ·
Handlebar pullback-risers. Anyone got 'em? What are your thoughts? Problems with clearance? I had some on my VTX 1300 and it made for more comfortable riding. I was riding yesterday (WHOO-HOO!) and got to wondering about how they would fix/work on the VV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.