Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

V_Twin vs I_Line bikes

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  almsy 
#1 ·
For those of you who have ridden vulcan V_twins and a vulcan 500, I'm wondering how you liked the 5 speed vs 6 speed and the vibration of the I-line vs the V-twin. I'm starting to want a bigger bike, but I keep hearing about the vibration of V-twins and the desire to lower the rpm's at higher speeds. Would appreciate hearing some experiences and opinions. :cool:

#3 ·
Hey there,

For starters, 'speeds' is a myth. Get it out of your head. It doesn't exist. Ignore it.

Yes, yes, the Vulcan 500 has a 6 speed transmission and some of the V-Twins have a 5 speed, but it's the final gear ratio that matters. I've been on some 6 speed bikes and screamed along on the highway, and I've lumbered along on some bikes that you really can't even think about 5th gear until you're on the interstate highway. Those big trucks you see on the highway run up about midway into their RPM range, yet are running in 13th gear, maybe even 21st gear with some of those 21 speed transmissions! Case and point IS the Vulcan 500, which is geared fairly high into the rev range even in 6th gear. It needs to be, that engine doesn't develop low end power like a twin. The larger Kawi twins will rev slower in 5th than a VN500 will rev in 6th.

Anyway, all that aside;

Both would be a good choice. The 500 is a little bit smoother but is buzzy on the highway, so are the smaller Kawasaki twins (I own a 900, haven't ridden an 800 but others have said it also gets a little buzzy on the highway). Just the nature of a smaller displacement motor. The 'big twins' will be a little smoother, but have more vibrations at idle. The big inline-twins (Triumph) will be super smooth all the way through, but that wasn't what you were asking! :p

It sounds like one of the bigger Vulcan twins will probably suit you. There will be some vibrations at idle, but they are all counter balanced. Most Harley motors are NOT counter balanced, which is why they shake like crazy. You won't get those vibrations on any Kawi twin, though, it won't be as smooth as an inline engine. BUT, to throw a curveball your way, while it might not be as smooth as Kawasaki's 1400cc inline 4 that's used on their sport touring bike, or NEARLY as smooth as an opposed 6 1800cc Honda Goldwing engine, a big twin Kawasaki will probably be smoother than your 500cc twin.

#4 ·
Smaller displacement engines will get buzzy at higher speeds because they simply have to work harder. Solid mounted engines will transmit more vibration to the frame because nothing is there to dampen any of it. Counter balancing or rubber mounting an engine at critical points where the most vibration resonates serve to smooth out an engine.

Inline engines seem to be inherently buzzy. Technology has evolved to the point, though that manufacturers are able to quell most of it to make the ride comfortable. Some are smoother than others. V twins are hard to smooth out because of the fore/aft rocking nature of the vibrations. HD has done a good job of smoothing out their engines as has Kawasaki and others.

A large displacement engine will have less apparent vibration because it doesn't have to work so hard ro get a bike up to high speed and keep it there. In short, a large engine, say, 1700cc hasn't used up its power, so to speak, to arrive at and maintain highway speed, while a smaller engine is approaching its maximum available power. In other words, it's beginning to strain, while the bigger engine is still running relaxed.

If what you want is a very smooth engine, I suggest something like a Gold Wing. You will never be able to complain about vibration or lack of power.

#5 ·
If what you want is a very smooth engine, I suggest something like a Gold Wing. You will never be able to complain about vibration or lack of power.
+1. Any traditional cruiser type bike is going to vibrate and be less smooth than an I-4 or O-6 engine. The king of smooth being the GoldWing.

The V-Twin engine is not the best engine configuration out there. It's much less efficient than an engine of a different configuration but identical displacement, it vibrates more, and it's less reliable than other more modern configurations. (Generally speaking of course, there are exceptions to every rule). But then again, a motorcycle is NOT a practical vehicle. Maintenance costs and tire costs eat up any fuel savings you might gain, you're subject to the weather, there are additional inherit risks, and it doesn't have the storage or passenger capacity of a car. But, we're all here because despite all of that we love riding motorcycles because it's not ABOUT being practical, it's about enjoying the road! In much the same way, a V-Twin isn't a decision in practicality, it's a decision based on style, low end torque, the general grunt and personality (and sound) of a V-Twin, etc. Any combination of variables makes us decide on a V-Twin. Practical, quiet, efficient, smooth, reliable motorcycles do exist (and no better example than the GoldWing). But that's not what some people want!

Which, of course, brings us back to the original point with ANY 'which bike should I get' question. What type of riding do YOU want to do, find a bike that matches it.

#6 ·
At the risk of being objected to, let me say that for starters, a cruiser is probably not your best choice for long distance touring, especially 2-up. It really wasn't meant to be that. There are bikes made specifically for that purpose, such as the Gold Wing, the HD Ultra, Kawasaki Voyager, Victory Vision or Cross Country Tour and the BMW D1600GTL. These are all smooth, some more so than others.

But like Romans said, what you choose to ride depends on what kind of riding you prefer. You certainly don't want a Gold Wing if all you do is run around town, for example. Any bike can be a touring bike--all you have to do is ride it to wherever you want to go--but some are purpose built for it and do a much better job at it.

V Twin engines are not as smooth as inline or horizontally opposed engines because of their inherent imbalance. Some inline 4's are quite buzzy, as well. One well-known culprit is the old Kawasaki Concours 1000. Good bike, but a very buzzy engine. Tinkering with timing and carb balancing can smooth it out some, but never totally removing it. On the other hand, HD has taken a well known paint shaker engine and rubber mounted it in the Road King and Electra Glide series and made them dead smooth at speed. So it can be done.

In the end, only you can decide what kind of riding you will do, then choose the right bike for the job. Good luck and keep us posted.

#7 ·
+1!

Someone around here said their bike is perfect 50 weeks a year. I think that sums up most of us who ride cruisers but still tour. We don't tour all year round, just a couple times a year, and it's adequate for that while still being a nimble and perhaps good looking commuter/around towner.

I don't THINK anyone will disagree that a touring bike is better for the long haul. But, there are many who would say their touring bike is great for around town too! I ride with a few GoldWing and HD Ultra owners who say their bike is the best short ride / around town / go to work bike they've ever had. I ALSO know one HD Ultra rider who says he really wishes he had a smaller bike because "I don't need all of this 99% of the time, I wish I had something I could flick around a little better"

Just goes to show ya, it isn't something anyone can tell you! You need to figure out what kind of riding you want to do!

#11 ·
Well they did have "standards" and "cruisers" that used the same motors. The standards had lower handlebars, flatter seats, and footpegs that were more under the rider. The cruisers had buckhorn handlebars, king/queen seats, and more outstretched foot controls. With the Hondas, they used the same V-4 motor for their Magna line (cruiser), Sabre line (standard) and their Interceptor line (sportbike).
I can't believe with how far the modern cruisers push your legs out (VN900 included) they can't fit a I-4 engine between your feet, or at the very least a V-4.

I wasn't saying they should have just kept trying to force the 80's 4 cylinder cruisers down our throats, but more wondering IF they hadn't continued to develop 4 cylinder motors to get lower end torque, better gas mileage while further changing their layout to get a more comfortable bike, where the "state" of Japanese cruisers be today. If American would buy them of course.

#12 ·
Well the magna is an exception as it had 'mid controls' and could be extended to forward controls, not 'standard'. There are still issues, like heat. My uncle has a V-4 Yamaha and because the engine is so 'fat', the cylinders are very close to his legs giving him tremendous heat.

Can it be done? Sure, but, I don't know that it's much better than a V-Twin, they both have their pros and cons.

I think you're right though, it's the American market. Like I said above, most Americans don't ride much. Check out craigslist, just go to the 'motorcycle' section. Look at how many low mileage bikes there are! It's disproportional to the number of higher mileage bikes and certainly disproportional to the miles on the used cars on Craigslist. Fact is, most people don't care about smooth or powerful. The 'cool' factor is often more important. Besides, like I said, there definitely ARE advantages to a V-Twin cruiser.

#13 ·
A very basic difference between the classic V Twin engine and an inline engine is this: The V Twin gives that low down, torquey grunt we all like, while the inline (usually a 4) provides a zzzzzzziippppp type of power. Sport bike riders like that kind of power delivery. The V Twin has a somewhat limited top end, while the inline engine is revvier and gives a higher top end speed.

I think it would be hard to put an inline 4 engine in a bike and at the same time fit it with cruiser-style forward mounted controls. That engine is just too wide, I think. But you can do about anything with a VTwin. Take a look at Suzuki old VX800. They stuck an 800cc VTwin engine (borrowed from the now-extinct Intruder 800) in an upright "standard" style frame. It looked like about any other UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle), or "standard" bike, but with a VTwin engine. I had one for a short time and it was actually a pretty neat bike. I sold it not long after I got it because at the time I had more use for my Gold Wing. It's just too bad they didn't keep it around a bit longer and fit it with FI and junk the carburetors. It just wasn't a big seller for them.

For touring? You can tour on anything, so it becomes a touring bike. In town? Whatever you like to ride. I was very comfortable riding my GL1800 around town, but then I was very used to it and its weight. It would be more of an issue for someone who normally rides something much smaller, I suppose.

#17 ·
I think that's what I was getting at--you can tour on anything. Some are just more accessorized than others. I found my Nomad to be just as competent a long distance tourer at the Wing. My wife holds the same opinion of her 900. Whole I do miss my Gold Wing some, I have discovered that I really enjoy riding a less complicated bike. I consider my 650 VStrom to be just as good a long distance bike as any other.

#18 ·
Careful now. 'round these parts that's blasphemy to say you can do anything but ride circles around your lawn on a 900 :p.

I am VERY comfortable on my 900. I'll ride it anywhere. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take it coast to coast if I had the time and the money. (That's the funny thing isn't it, you can have lots of money but no time, or lots of time but no money!). I don't disagree with people when they tell me the engine is 'buzzy', but, it doesn't bother me a bit. I have made a few changes for comfort though, like gel-gripped gloves to eliminate vibration in the grips (though there really isn't that much), a much comfier seat, and a tour pak and hard bags. BUT, all in all, I spent a lot less than a touring bike, get 50mpg consistently (up near 60 sometimes), and have a bike that is super reliable, easy to maintain, and easy to handle. I think the cool thing about the 900 is that a brand new rider can start out on it, then take it across the country!

I would like a GL1800 one day though. It's kind of high on my list. 3 riding buddies of mine ride them and the more I look at them, ride them, sit on them, the more I really like them. But, speaking of V-Twin vs Inline, I'm not too ashamed to admit that a part of me really likes the sound and personality of a V-Twin motorcycle. My V-Twin motorcycle feels to me like a muscle car, whereas the Goldwing feels like a really peppy Accord. I dunno, just can't get past the allure of a V-Twin! :p

#22 ·
I guess it depends also on your circumstances...I'd love to have half a dozen bikes in the garage..but I have one.......I've circled Lake Superior Circle on a bicycle, toured Thailand and Laos on a Honda 100. Europe on a BSA C15 250.....Sure it's not comfortable sometimes, but you get to see some of the world...you can use whatever....the most important thing is just go do it......

Here's the school run in Northern Thailand...

#23 ·
... and can you believe, he's not concerned enough about his eyes to lower the face shield?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.