Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Victory Motorcycles test ride.....

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  XCR600 
#1 ·
My other half had her grand child with her yesterday and to pass time she took him to a Victory motorcycle dealer when his eyes lit up like a Xmas tree. He was walking around going vroom vroom looking at all the bikes there. A salesman came up to the misses and was chatting away, then made an offer of taking a bike for the weekend for a test run free of charge plus they fill the tank for free.
I thought that this offer would've been finished by now since its been going for abt 5-7 months now....

Don't worry guys..... Don't intend on trading over to a Victory.....

Just thought you'd like to know......lol. :D

#4 ·
There's always a catch, Smedlin! There's always a catch! Classic Mafia style tactic to make someone an offer they simply can't refuse.

Sounds like the variant here of the Satisfaction Guaranteed No Questions Asked Return gig the auto industry has been testing out for the past couple of years.

#3 ·
Smedlin, I believe there's no rental fee PLUS NO MILEAGE LIMIT.
Sadly atm leading up to Xmas, we can't get a weekend free to test ride one :(

I have heard of someone who rode from Sydney to Queensland and back (round trip 2800 klms +) on a test ride.

#5 ·
For a weekend???!!!!

That is awesome.....and possibly of poor judgement!:eek:

I like the Vic line-up; and have taken a couple of test rides.
Toss me the keys for the weekend and I will find the time and the roads.
When that dealer got it back; he might need to put new tires on!

I think around here; people would use the test for a mini vacation and never have an intention to buy.

Do you think that sales strategy is working for them in OZ?

Scott

#6 ·
Well Scott. I see quite a few Victorys running around here, so that must say something.
I don't mind the look on a couple of their models.
The salesman offered the missus a 2011 base model for abt $23, 000.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
That 2011 is brand new. Makes u wonder what's wrong with the model or were they just over stocked.

#8 ·
That sure is a different (and better) philosophy than the usual 15-20 minutes they try to hold to you. One dealer over here would not even do "test rides" on certain units. You essentially had to buy it, then "return" it if you did not like it. I called b/s on that and refused to play that game. Sadly, I am sure that there are people who would abuse the weekend thing, but having an entire weekend to try it out sure could be a nice way to get a real feel for whether it was the right bike for you.

#9 ·
I know of Subaru who WILL not allow anyone to test drive their WRX vehicles as they know how famous that vehicle is plus there is a high chance of them being stolen while on a test drive.

#10 ·
I have never been to a dealer that would allow test rides. I have managed to find some one who has owned a bike like the one have been interested with the exception of the V2K. The only dealers I know of that allow test rides are HD dealers.

#21 ·
All the Victory dealers in my area allow test rides, and there's one local Yamaha dealer that will allow you to test ride any of their used vehicles. Most of the others won't, though.

#12 ·
When I test drove my V2K ('04, used). The gal at the dealership saw me out & just said "See ya when I see ya". It had 13K miles on it, so putting a few more on wasn't going to make a difference. Besides, they had my bike. I did probably 100 miles.

I don't think I'd buy a bike if I couldn't test beat it first. I know this dealer won't do test rides on sport bikes (they might let an old guy like me).

#14 ·
I don't think I'd buy a bike if I couldn't test beat it first. I know this dealer won't do test rides on sport bikes (they might let an old guy like me).
yea, i would never buy a bike without being able to test drive also.

i was able to test drive my V2K. But.. the previous spring I had bought a jet ski from them (same dealer). So.. it's not like they didn't know me or have my info.

#13 ·
Victory's slogan is "Ride one and you'll own one". Sounds like they are putting their money where their mouth is. Right now, I'm not surprised to see Victory doing a lot of loss-leader type stuff. They are established (and have a well established parent company), and have their sights set on dethroning Harley Davidson, and I think their principle audience is actually METRIC riders who are considering H-D (and thus aren't loyal to a brand, but would possibly spend that much on a bike!)

You will probably have to sign a waiver though that says ANY damage will result in you needing to forfeit the entire MSRP purchase price for the bike. Check with your insurance before doing anything like that. Doesn't matter if an old lady backs into it while you are parked at the gas station, you break it you bought it! Make sure your insurance covers you. They may say that you are covered on whatever you ride, but that might just be for liability!

#15 ·
Sounds to me like they're trying to build brand loyalty. Victory's have a notoriously poor resale value in my area, though I personally think it's undeserved. Fact is, around here, once you've bought one, you'd better like it, or you're going to take a big hit on resale. A strategy like this might be what's needed to build that brand loyalty and therefore add to the extended value of the product. If people see a product as retaining value, they'll be more apt to buy a new one. Look at Hyundai (cages) as an example. When they first came out, everyone thought they were cheap Asian junk. My father just bought a brand new Hyundai because he could buy a 2 or 3 year old model, or pay a couple thousand more for a brand new one.

Letting a potential customer try out a product on their own terms is a great marketing strategy towards building brand loyalty.

#16 ·
I've seen a lot of bikie gang members here riding Victorys along with H-D and M109's.
Although the club members r mostly of middle eastern variety now. Heavily into drugs n crime.

#17 ·
I would never buy a NEW bike that had test ride miles on it.

I love Demo days, and like what the Honda and Kaw dealership near me did recently. They had a few NEW bikes for test rides; that were moving from dealership to dealership. I had my 2nd VV test ride there; and took a Goldwing out for about 45 minutes (had to find some curves:)).

If you can rent a bike for the weekend; or take advantage of that Aussie Victory deal. That would be the way know if it is the right bike.

Even with a 45 minute ride; the best you can expect, is to know if is the WRONG bike.

Scott

#18 ·
I bullied my way in to a "test ride" for the mean streak. The shop did not allow test rides and I had already hassled and haggled a price. I told the owner that I would not buy unless I could ride it. (I had already been approved for the loan). He would not let me. So I told him if he would let me at least ride his personal one I would buy it. And If i did not like it I would get one from him. And he agreed and let me ride his.

I did stop and a Victory Dealer about a week or so and looked at the bikes (I was actually eyeballing Polaris ATVs/UTVs). I was not overly impressed with the bikes but I also did not ride one either.

#19 ·
#22 ·
A room for the night too!
That is a peach of an offer.

I wonder what assurances they require that you are a serious buyer?

Anyway; I have been on the XCT and the Vision Tour.
I really like the Hammer and the Highball; but I think they would be nice "around town" bikes.
For an out of town weekender; I would take the Vision.
I know; George Jetson, blah blah blah.

But, that is one sweet handling bike.

Scott

#20 · (Edited)
Just had a look and u can book any 1 of 10 models u can test ride.

Which would be ur ride for the weekend?

#23 ·
I was looking at a Hammer from a private owner , he let me take it out, nice bike. I was really considering it but that fat back tire was more work than I wanted to do on curves. I liked the Vegas 8 Ball I took out on there test ride event. I have a couple riding buddies that have the Cross Country's one is a convert from a HD Road King.

That 106 does get with it and I believe the reason Harley went to the 103. Engine tech wise Victorys is up to date vs HD but that HD will hold it's value much better ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.