Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Darkside

17K views 109 replies 26 participants last post by  Scott_in_TX 
#1 ·
Yay, got me a tire, FINALLY! Went with a Riken Raptor 225/50R16 V-Rated Ultra-High Performance All-Season tire from Sears. Found one on clearance. Original price $125, got this one for $30!!!!!!!! (only because they were "trying to get rid of the one extra one" they had left) Pics coming when I get it put on.

#33 · (Edited)
^^^
The real test is not what the agent says, but what's in the fine print of the policy/what's in writing.

I think this would be real interesting...first, ask the agent if there would be any problem with that. If he/she says "no problem", ask'em to put it in writing and see if the "no problem" changes into "let me check on that".

#35 · (Edited)
I'm sure that's true but it likely depends on the severity of the accident, and perhaps the suspected cause. If there had been serious personal injury or some other large money at risk, someone would be looking to subrogate that claim and that's when the real teeth gnashing starts and the fine-tooth comb comes out.

#51 · (Edited)
now why would you say that? a non studded snow tire is designed with lots of factory sipping in it. studs are to help break any ice on the road and a mc should not be on a road with ice. sipping on your tire gives you increased wet weather traction while a all season is just a tire with not quite as good wet weather stopping but is a little harder on the rubber so it lasts longer and is a ok all around tire. on a car a snow tire is not meant to be ran all year because its rubber is softer than normal to allow for the better traction but wears faster as a result so is not cost effective to run when its not needed. its already a tried and tested proven fact that the more sipping you have (within reason) the better your wet weather traction. I could get into sipping a car tire from less schwab but thats a different topic. any way a snow tire should offer you the best traction a car tire can give you and will still last much longer on a mc than your average motorcycle tire. if some one has a proven fact to say other wise please, i am all ears.

#41 ·
pretty sure this has been covered in several darkside threads over the years but the assumption that a mc tire is a softer compound than a a car tire is merely a misconeption... in general car tires are of a softer compound !

#43 ·
I was wondering how long it would take for that comment to be posted. I believe that if I said that it was daylight outside my window someone would say Nope, it's night time.

If you are going to critique someone else's thoughts at least spell the words correctly. The word is M I S C O N C E P T I O N, Not misconeption

#44 ·
ohh i made a typo sorry spellmaster coolpig and btw i really dont give a rat's ass what you think i was merely stating what was said in several threads over the years by those who used a durometer to measure how hard the rubber was on both a mc tire and a car tire !!!

#47 ·
#54 ·
I'm not sure but I believe I may have to go to Michigan to get a snow tire, I live in South Texas and we don't allow snow down here. It did snow down here last year so I stand corrected, but it only barely covered the grass. The neighborhood children were not even able to build a snowman.

#57 ·
At $264.99 there is not any savings in $$$ over a bike tire.
Sharp lookin' tire though.
Have you noticed that the instigator,mr. maverick planted the seed & hasn't been back.
He wouldn't run a car tire let alone a snow tire.

JJ

#63 ·
Sticky Darkside size/tire/bike list

Is there a darkside sticky with Year/Model/any mods/Ctire/size/clearance issues/pictures.

Just wondering i am new to Vulcan fourms but over in the intruder fourm they had some one that was OCD and organized all this stuff.

I have 2k miles left on my MT (just bought the V2K) and i wanted to start researching CT, just wonder what other people have put on, what works, what looks good.

#64 · (Edited)
Is there a darkside sticky with Year/Model/any mods/Ctire/size/clearance issues/pictures.

Just wondering i am new to Vulcan fourms but over in the intruder fourm they had some one that was OCD and organized all this stuff.

I have 2k miles left on my MT (just bought the V2K) and i wanted to start researching CT, just wonder what other people have put on, what works, what looks good.
Here are a couple of helpful sites. I run a Toyo proxes ( $80.00 ) 205 60 16 it fits great looks ok to me and handles all conditions super. I have 38lbs of air in it.
Good luck , Bulldozer, Get ready for all the ct bashers, they will be screamin about how stupid we all are.

http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-Darkside-Riders
Lots of great stories from Goldwing riders on this site, ck it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.