Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

How Much Oil is TOO Much in a 900??

42K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  DrummerMark 
#1 ·
By looking at the oil level gauge, I thought that the oil level in the 900 Vulcan that I recently bought was too high. Today I changed the oil and filter. I made a good attempt to drain all the oil out of the bike that I could by rocking it back and forth with the oil plug out. I also poured the oil out of the old oil filter which I removed.

I collected all of this old oil and measured it. There was 4.4 Quarts of oil that I was able to capture. I probably spilled an addition 2 or 3 ounces. This would make a total of about 4.5 quarts of oil that was in the bike. I put 3.5 quarts of oil back in the bike.

Would running too much oil cause any harm? I haven't checked the air breather yet, so I don't know what it looks like, but I haven't seen any evidence of oil coming out of it. Nor have I experienced anything that would make me think the bike was not running normally.

Just wondered what your thoughts were on this.

Thanks.

#2 ·
The 900 takes 3.4 quarts when changing the oil filter, or 3.2 quarts when not changing the filter. 4.4 quarts is too much. Check the sight glass when the bike is standing up straight, not on the kickstand.

#4 ·
Wow, 4.4 quarts.... I would think it would have been blowing oil out through the crankcase breather. Not sure what damage it would cause, if any, but good that you changed it.

#5 ·
Mine was at least at the top of the sight glass when I got it. I figured it was close so I didn't get too worried about it. I drained, rocked and everything else at 600 miles. It ended up taking almost all of a gallon to fill it to the top mark on the sight glass. My owner's manual does not say 3.4 quarts, it says 3.9, which is 3.7 liters.

#16 ·
Mine was at least at the top of the sight glass when I got it.
It's not supposed to be at the top of the glass, it should be about half way between the 2 marks.

My owner's manual does not say 3.4 quarts, it says 3.9, which is 3.7 liters.
Read your manual again. 3.9 quarts is only correct when the engine has been torn down for a rebuild and it is bone dry.

The proper amount for a normal oil+filter change is 3.4 quarts, as I posted before. If you're putting in 3.9 quarts, you're using too much.

Reactions: DrummerMark
#7 ·
If you can see it in the sight glass you are fine. Design flaw? Get a Harley. They been making them with the sight glass for all time. Just don't overfill please.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App

#10 ·
My 2005 Harley EGC has a dipstick to check the oil level. I've had numerous other Harleys that also had dipsticks. Can't recall one that had a sightglass to check the oil level.

#13 ·
Oh boy, I think i need to pull some oil out of mine. Just did my 1st oil change. (screw the dealer) I put a gallon of Rotella T6 in it with a new Fram filter. Think I will pull it back to 3/4 of the sight window.

#14 · (Edited)
To think a dealer or a professional shop would not make mistakes, especially when most are hiring young kids to do the routine tasks like oil change, would be naive.

I bought a 2008 V-Strom with 4300 miles couple of months back and it had the 4000 mile service done by the Suzuki dealer. I am looking at the receipt/work order and the oil window and the entire window is full! The oil was covering the entire window! Like this one:

I ended up test riding it that way but when I got it home, I ended up draining over half a quart of oil to make it come down to "full" line. Running the bike a little over the "low" line is way better than running it a little over "full" line, imho.

I use a rear wheel stand ($25-$50) to level the bike and also make it easier.
I initially put just 3 quarts. Let the bike run for 3-5 minutes in gear on the rear stand or ride it around for a few minutes. Then shut it off, wait like 30 minutes or so, then check the oil level again.
Bike has to be leveled on both coordinates and handlebar straight. Besides leveling the bike sideways, it also cannot be on a uphill/downhill type surface.

I typically end up putting 3.5 quarts with a new filter.

#19 ·
I just checked the 2010 Classic LT manual and the oil change info is exactly the same as what I posted above, but it's on page 99 instead of page 87.

#21 ·
All I can say is I went by what I saw in the sight glass. I also drained it pretty thoroughly. I go for high in the sight glass, but with air still visible.

It isn't so much that people recommend against the Orange Can of Death, it is that they are way overpriced for what you get. A better choice is the cheap filters from Napa or Carqwest, or elsewhere. Personally, I am using the Kawasaki filter from the dealer. However next oil change I will cut the old filter open to see what I am actually getting. If I find cardboard end caps then I will go with Napa Gold or equivalent.

#24 ·
I would not change the oil again just because you used the OCOD. The incidence of actual Fram failures in ordinary applications is not high enough to justify that. It is definitely not good enough for extended drains though. Still, if you are going to lose sleep over it then change the oil again.

#26 ·
I figured to go 2,000 miles per oil change on mine, which is a 2010 I bought brand new in September. I changed it at 600, which is what Kawasaki recommends, with dinosaur oil. At 2,000 I will switch to Kawasaki full synthetic and then probably go the 2,000 miles per change to start. My reasoning is that motorcycles are hard on the oil because of the wet clutch. So, that is what I will do.

Do I think the Fram can go 3,500 miles? Most likely. You will have a hard time finding actual incidents of Fram filters failing, although is does happen. However, what you also don't know is how well the anti-drainback valve is holding up and the condition of those cheap pleats. That is what is going to cause you to lose sleep. I would probably let it go to 6,000 miles and then change it. Then you can cut the filter open and find out it did survive. I am surprised no one has gotten on here to tell you how good Frams are. On BITOG someone said anyone who doesn't like Frams is deranged.

BTW, I am also an NRA life member and a veteran. (Please don't say thank you for your service. I did the minimum and met my service obligation, although in 1979 I wondered if Jimmy Carter was going to send me to fight Iranians before my enlistment was up.)

#28 ·
The had 2073 miles when i got it. I was told by the dealer that the 600 mille check and change was done on the bike. Oil did look good. But now i have a base line. I ride it hard, even tho i don't steal it. :p
I had plan on changing the oil at 3500 mile to seehow the syn oil looked. It did run smooth this morning and shifting was much more quiet. But time will tell.

Btw good to hear your a veteran and a NRA lifer. I did my minimum and was out. My son wants to be a lifer, to each his own.

#27 ·
Hey AZPoseur said, do not do an oil change just for the filter. You should be fine for now but I wouldn't wait too long.
I use full synthetic and I do my oil changes around 3000-3500 miles. I know it would be fine for another 1K miles or more but I ride short distances, lots of shifting and I am kind of hard on it naturally so more frequent oil changes makes more sense to me.

The type of oil you use makes a difference too. I was using Mobil 1 full sythetic 20w-50 and it rode close to 3700 miles and it was still OK when I drained it. Currently using Rotella T6 15w-40 and cannot say I liked it as much.

I finally found suitable Schaeffer MC oil from a local distributor so I will be using that next change and if it is anything like the ones they make for cars/trucks, that is what I will continue using, period.

Also when the bike has like 15K-20K or more or sits for long periods. I drain half a quart of oil then add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil. Let it run for about 3-5 minutes (do NOT ride the bike though!). Then stop the bike and start draining the old oil.

#29 ·
Son number 3, child number 5, graduated from University of Portland and was commissioned an officer in the Air Force last month. His first assignment will be Wright Patterson but they don't know when. So far he does not talk about being a lifer. I think he should, I should have taken a commission and put in my 20 years in the finance department when I graduated from college.

Back on topic, when I did the 600 mile oil change the oil I drained looked really used. I assume break in explains that. It will be interesting seeing what the current oil looks like after 1,400 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.