Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikes and guns

25K views 196 replies 49 participants last post by  Lunatic 
#1 ·
I was with an experienced rider a few weeks back, a guy who likes to tour the country much the way I plan on doing with my Voyager. He packs a handgun for long trips, for self defense. Has a concealed weapon permit.

I for one am not that experienced with shooting, but I must admit riding alone through a big city I feel very vulnerable. If I were to make a weapons purchase, I for sure would seek training and practice.

I was curious as to opinions on this forum. I am sure I will get a variety, but that is ok. I might learn something.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I also have my CCW permit. I never leave home without my gun. Too many crazies out there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
What is required varies for each state and some states will honors other permits but some won't. Need to look in to that if you are crossing state lines. Where I live I do not see a need for it. (other than a trophy deer on the side of the road you might come back for later :D ) If I am not mistaken in VA all that is required is one of the following, proof of a Hunter Safety Course, Military/Police Firearm Training, and I believe the state offers a 8 hour gun safety training too.

#4 ·
Hardcore Democrat and very liberal person here.

I like guns. Thinking about getting one, but in 37 years of living in very diverse areas, from heavily gang occupied to suburban white-bread, I've never once felt the need for a gun. I like guns, but I'm not scared enough of anyone or anything to need one.

Thinking about getting a shotgun for home protection. Probably won't get any ammo, because honestly no one is going to call my bluff on it if it's pointed at their genitals.

#8 ·
I have enough guns and ammo to hold a police/ATF standoff for weeks! :)

Several are antiques and do not fire, some are for hunting, some are for personal and home protection and one is for the inevitable zombie apocolypse:eek:.

IF you do get a gun; consider a firearm safety course provided by a law enforcement agency.
They will tell you NEVER pull a gun unless you are willing and ready to use it.

The worst criminals will do anything to avoid going back to prison. Even if it means having a shootout with someone who already has the drop on them.

Scott

#5 ·
Grew up with and have used guns, bows/arrows, knives etc. since I was a little kid and have used just about any type of modern weaponry there is. Outside of the USMC as a "civilian" I have only had to draw on two idiots (in the same incident) who were hell-bent on trying to shoot someone/anyone for no reason at all. Turns out these two morons were gangbangers, had pending arrest warrants on them and were somehow contracted to install satellite TV for new customers so what does that say about Dish's and DirecTV's screening and qualification process?

So they came out of a restaurant next door and walked over to my shop while I was busy working and where I had previously allowed them to park in my shop's parking area just before they went inside to eat. Finally, when they gathered up enough bravado after returning and looking around my shop one of them drew a gun on me for no reason at all and they both blatantly said they were going to shoot me and leave me to die in the alley. They both laughed while saying this as if it was humorous. Were they going to rob me or make their bones? Who knows but I wasn't going to find out.

Without blinking or flinching I drew on them and they literally pissed all over themselves while the lone idiot gunman dropped his weapon on the floor. I then calmly called the cops and waited for them to come throw them in jail while I detained them at gunpoint. End of story. Draw your own conclusions and do whatever you want to do but I will tell you that I have never second guessed about the worst side of human nature and that I prefer to always remain vigilant. For some strange reason I decided to take advantage of my CCW that day because I normally open carry my weapons anywhere I go.

#9 ·
I have been thinking about this for the last month or so.

I don't carry except when I am traveling. That whole hotel, looking like a tourist, extra cash thing and all.

Anyway; at the first of this month I was packing my Voyager for a weekender, and did not have a good location to pack anything I use for personal defense.

I need to get a bike gun.

I am currently looking to put my hands on a Taurus 709 Slim. It is a 9mm +P that is very concealable.
Kel-tec has a small 9mm that I need to look at better.
I really don't want to get a .380 and have to stockpile another caliber of ammo:D ; also I like the bigger punch of 9mm.

I guess I have until spring, and I take the bike on vacation again before I have to decide.

Scott

#25 ·
I have been thinking about this for the last month or so.

I don't carry except when I am traveling. That whole hotel, looking like a tourist, extra cash thing and all.

Anyway; at the first of this month I was packing my Voyager for a weekender, and did not have a good location to pack anything I use for personal defense.

I need to get a bike gun.

Scott
I love my LC9

... Me personally I have .12 gauge hollow point slugs. I'm a single dad and I just don't mess around.

]
If I were dating your daughter (say you had one of such age) I'd hate to piss you off. Guy with the empty shotgun on the other hand, well, I think 3am, or maybe later if need be sounds like a nice curfew...

As for shooting rock salt, shoot to kill. Otherwise it's your word agsinst theirs.

#94 ·
I am currently looking to put my hands on a Taurus 709 Slim. It is a 9mm +P that is very concealable.
I have three Taurus handguns. I have a Taurus 709 Slim, I have a Taurus .380, and I have a 38 Special.

I don't like the 709 Slim. I'll take it with me to the range but that's about it. It jams more frequently than I like. I blame it on the magazines. I have the same issue with the 380. I have less issues if I short myself by two or three rounds - I've just decided that these guns are okay for the range but not much else.

Take a look at the Sig Sauer P290RS. You can thank me later.

#99 ·
Can you describe the 'jam'.
Is it getting caught exiting the breech?

My 92-c had that problem the first couple of magazines.
I went to a higher grain ammo for the next several boxes; and had no issues.
Now that the recoil spring is broken in I can use 80 grain glazers with zero jams.:)

I have a .22 (that I need to sell) that feed jams. I have tweaked the guides on the magazine and reduced the occurrence; but I don't like the gun.

I used to have a High Point .22 magnum semi-auto that jamed during extraction. It had to do with the way they engineered the removal of the rim fire cartridge. Neat gun, but not dependable.

I think my Taurus is my favorite handgun ever. I know some people don't like the brand, but I have never had any real problems.
I have not committed to the 709 and would want to shoot a box or so before making the purchase.
I will say that without regard to how it shoots; I plan on owning the Taurus Judge in the near future.:)

Scott
Is it a ruger. I had one of their 22/45 Target Pistols with a 5.5" bull barrel that would do that ALL THE TIME. I tweaked and tweaked on it. Took it back to where I got it and tried different clips in it and nothing seamed to help. I spend one day and fired ??? rounds and it seemed to get better but no to what I would consider reliable. I sold it. I used it as my snake killer while I was out.

#106 ·
Is it a ruger. I had one of their 22/45 Target Pistols with a 5.5" bull barrel that would do that ALL THE TIME. I tweaked and tweaked on it. Took it back to where I got it and tried different clips in it and nothing seamed to help. I spend one day and fired ??? rounds and it seemed to get better but no to what I would consider reliable. I sold it. I used it as my snake killer while I was out.
SWVA,
I had to check, but it was manufactured by a company called Lorcin. Very CHEAP!
I think my best bet is to wait until Dallas has another gun 'buy back' and unload it on them.:D

I have a couple of .22 revolvers but if I decide to replace the semi-auto I will go with a Bobcat.

Whoaru,
Both the .22 & the .22 mag were purchased used with no expectation of a warranty. I did consder taking the magnum to a gunsmith; but my Dad really liked it so I gave it to him. I don't know if he has done anything with it.

If breaking in the recoil spring had not provided adaquate results; you can bet I would have contacted Taurus Mfg.:)
I hear they have some of the best customer service in the biz; which is one of the reasons I have an affinity for the company.

Scott

#11 ·
Nice looking gun; at 17 oz. it is lighter than the 709, and if I am going to carry in my jacket, that is important.

I have a Ruger P89 and a Taurus PT 92-C.
I like both, but prefer the Taurus.

With a 9mm that small; is anything going to feel really good?
I guess I am going to have to find a range that will rent me a couple to see how they shoot.

Scott

#13 ·
I know someone mentioned the ruger LC9 but if you are going for a ruger gun I would go for their Ruger LCR which is a 5 shot revolver that comes in either .357 or .380. It is nice because it has no external spur and the grip extends up far enough that it cushions some of the recoil on your hand. The other nice piece is that it has a 7 lb trigger pull and it is long so the chance of negligent discharge is lessened.

Semi-automatics I am a fan of the Glock family. The Glock 19 and 26 are two good reliable 9mm pistols. Easy to use and easy to clean. BE ADVISED I don't recommend carrying these with a round in the chamber. There is no safety and it has a very easy trigger pull (5 lbs I believe). So there is a chance you could have a negligent discharge if you grab it in a rush.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Ruger LCR
Firearm Gun Trigger Ranged weapon Gun accessory
Glock 26
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Glock 19

I personally carry a Glock 19 it fits me well. I have a special leather vest I ordered that has built in holsters inside the vest on either side.

Also training, training, training and some more training. Take a conceal carry class. Take a shooting class. Go on your own time to a local range and practice off. Not just target shoot but drawing from a conceal carry holster. Make sure you can draw and by ready to go quickly and smoothly.
www.parkerholster.com has some very good in the waistband conceal carry holsters.

Lastly, remember the LAST thing you want to have to do is shoot someone. Choose all other options before firing. Make sure that if you shoot it is because your life or the life of someone nearby is in imminent danger.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#16 ·
I know someone mentioned the ruger LC9 but if you are going for a ruger gun I would go for their Ruger LCR which is a 5 shot revolver that comes in either .357 or .380. It is nice because it has no external spur and the grip extends up far enough that it cushions some of the recoil on your hand. The other nice piece is that it has a 7 lb trigger pull and it is long so the chance of negligent discharge is lessened.

Semi-automatics I am a fan of the Glock family. The Glock 19 and 26 are two good reliable 9mm pistols. Easy to use and easy to clean. BE ADVISED I don't recommend carrying these with a round in the chamber. There is no safety and it has a very easy trigger pull (5 lbs I believe). So there is a chance you could have a negligent discharge if you grab it in a rush.

View attachment 14397 Ruger LCR
View attachment 14398 Glock 26
View attachment 14399 Glock 19

I personally carry a Glock 19 it fits me well. I have a special leather vest I ordered that has built in holsters inside the vest on either side.

Also training, training, training and some more training. Take a conceal carry class. Take a shooting class. Go on your own time to a local range and practice off. Not just target shoot but drawing from a conceal carry holster. Make sure you can draw and by ready to go quickly and smoothly.
www.parkerholster.com has some very good in the waistband conceal carry holsters.

Lastly, remember the LAST thing you want to have to do is shoot someone. Choose all other options before firing. Make sure that if you shoot it is because your life or the life of someone nearby is in imminent danger.

All nice pistols! I wouldn't mind owning any of them.

Revolvers are dependable; but add to the width.

I like Glock, but they are wider, longer, and heavier than some of the other options.

Does that 19 start to feel heavy after a few hours in the saddle?:)

Scott

#15 ·
Someone that concealed carries just to have it, is a danger to everyone. Training and practice!!!!!! And the ability to unconceal in a safe way.remaining calm and in control.. Did i mention training and practice... I am 100% pro gun... 100% against someone carrying with no training!!! i carry a S&W bodyguard for light days and walther ol99 on the heavy flow days!!! LOL

#18 · (Edited)
I've got a Kahr CW9 that I really like. Thin & light. For those unfamiliar, Kahr makes guns that are basically American Glocks. Plastic frame and striker fired, but w/o the wierd (to me) grip angle. And also single stack. Never had a malfunction. The only drawback is capacity (7+1). But I figure if I'm ever in a situation where 8 bullets isn't enough, I was pretty much screwed from the beginning anyway. I've also got a CZ P01 for the afore mentioned "heavy flow" days. Just as reliable as the Kahr.

And I carry sometimes around town (not as much as I should), and always when I travel. The reciprocity laws cover all the places I go.

#22 · (Edited)
I am glad we don't need to have a discussion like this, here in Aussie land.
No need to carry weapons, for one's safety.
Although there are some drive by shootings here, they are omc related
Well, considering that Australia more or less banned general gun ownership I'd guess not. Those discussing such things would probably be reported as suspect criminals and investigated by the authorities.

#27 ·
If you're shooting FMJs then you'll probably be able to find 9mm less expensive. But, once you get into name brand HPs, Federal Hydra-Shok, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense, etc. the price for 380 is similar or maybe even a bit less.

#28 ·
Anyone remember "Black Talons"? They will ruin your whole day!

Here's my picks, from top to bottom.

Top: .45 ACP 1911 A1; This one's a Springfield Armory
Middle: A KelTec .32 ACP; the minimum requirement for: "What to bring to a gunfight!"
Bottom: A Sig Sauer P239 in .40 S&W
I really like the Sig. It's a .40 on a compact 9mm frame. A single-stack mag makes this a narrow and compact gun. The double action gives you a revolver-like first shot, with short trigger pull on follow-up shots. No safety, but has a de-cocking lever.

#29 ·
I carry a Beretta Model 21 in .22 caliber most of the time. I was out in the desert by myself, stopped to take a leak and realized how vulnerable I was way out there, so I carry more. I have had a permit for about 20 years. You don't need one in Arizona, but getting one is good for going to other states.

I have seen one person killed in a shooting in my life, it happened about 20 feet from me. Believe me, that is at least one too many. It was a single shot to the chest from a .22 pistol. He died within seconds. I think he was 16. As a side thing, I was absolutely amazed at the ability of the press to get every detail of the story wrong.

#33 ·
I don't carry. Like others I've never really felt the need too, though I guess, you never need it until you do right? Kinda like wearin' a helmet. It's a waste of time 99% of the time. It's that one time you needed it...

I love to shoot though. Don't currently own a handgun unfortunately, traded my .357 Magnum for another rifle and never got around to picking up another handgun. But man I did love to shoot that thing!

My favorite rifle I have right now is a 1943 Lee Enfield rifle, fires .303 British rounds. Absolute blast (no pun intended) to shoot.

#35 ·
Before you do anything I suggest you do a google search on concealed carry forums. There are plenty of forums that are geared to the subject. I personnally go to a couple on a regular basis. If it's a about a particular gun, same thing. There are forums for most every brand with sections on the particular gun you're interested in. You can find lots of advise from people there. Way more info than you'll get in a post on a motorcycle forum. Do lots of research, go to gunshops and rent whatever it is you want to buy. See if you really like it before you drop your coin on it. Buying the wrong gun is gonna cost you. You won't get your money back if you trade it in.

As for me if it's cool enough to wear a jackett or vest I carry a Glock 26 when I ride. With a round in the chamber. Always. Hides easy in a IWB holster. Mine is an MTAC. If it's to hiot for a vest then I have a Taurus TCP738 that I pocket carry. That ones a 380.

Good luck in your quest!

#37 ·
When I was married this discussion came up with my step daughter. She is a cutie and about a size 1. She loved to shoot and became quite proficient at it. We did our due dilligence for quite a long time and bought her a Ruger LCR which was mentioned earlier. Absolute reliability in a compact package. Will fire upside down if needed, will not jam and is compact enough to fit in a purse, boot, waistband, etc.

#42 ·
I am a big advocate of hollow point ammunition. My understanding of the law as it stands is that if you fire more than one round they can get you on the hook for excessive force. If I have to put someone down better make sure they stay down on the first shot.
It's a hard transition after having military training. Two to the chest and one to the head.

#43 ·
Oddly, most police officers are trained to continue firing until the subject is on the ground. But you are right. You always hear about how "9 shots isn't self defense". But the fact is, a fatal shot to the chest gives a few seconds for an armed assailant to take a last stand. That's why a police officer will fire until they are on the ground, so they won't return fire or harm a civilian.

#45 ·
The only issue I see...and I'm assuming none of you have probably ever exchanged gunfire...is that most people don't want to die and wouldn't rather die or risk serious injury instead of go to jail. If you have a gun pointed at you, the safe thing to do is to assume it's loaded. Most people have an instinct that tells them to stay alive.

Now, maybe there are a few guys out there who are willing to die for your TV. First assumption is that they're going to kill you regardless. I don't think that's the case, as life in prison isn't worth your TV either.

In reality, the gun itself is a deterrent, as is the potential outcomes:

1. Get killed
2. Get really hurt
3. Commit aggravated battery / attempted murder, probably get caught, go to jail.
4. Commit murder
5. Any mix of the above
6. None of the above
7. Walk away

If I merely point my gun at someone, they'll throw hands-up and/or run away. In that case, owning ammo would have made no difference.

If they reach for their gun they're hoping that, at close range, they're faster at retrieving their weapon and firing it accurately before me (who already has weapon drawn and aimed). If they know they're a faster, better aim and can kill me before I can, than owning ammo would have a small benefit but chances are I might lose because I'm facing someone with Navy Seals skills.

If they draw first and I pull out a piece I'm losing because I was not in the Navy, a SEAL, nor am I exceptionally fast. I'm a pretty good aim for a non-owner. Hell, even if I were 99% better I'm not winning that match.

If we're both already drawn upon meeting, my mind is better for survival than my ammo. If I fire, I could miss or he could also fire and one or both of us lose. More likely we'll figure out an agreement to walk away unhurt. Ammo would have some benefit here in case I wanted to take a large risk, but my chances of survival are just as good without ammo.

So owning a gun has an advantage, yes. Owning ammo has a small advantage. It's based on the assumption that Hollywood style drama will ensue and their will be an exchange of fire.

#47 · (Edited)
You've obviously never dealt with a tweaker or anyone ballsy enough to break into your home, knowing that you can legally SHOOT them just for doing that, and decided to do it anyway. The problem with the logic of many law abiding citizens is that they think like law abiding citizens which is worlds apart from the thinking of people that would just as soon kill you rather than having to fight you in a court of law.

Recently here in quiet old Eugene, two guys decided to rob a coffee stand at gun point. The barista drew his Glock and they started shooting at each other. One guy ran off, while still shooting at the coffee stand. The other guy stayed and fought, even though initially he had cover and was safe from the barista, he ended up being killed. The coffee stand employee DEFINITELY would have been killed if he was not capable of returning fire.

Mostly I would say (like any competent firearm instructor) if you don't intend to use a weapon when it comes time, don't own that weapon. If you DO choose to buy the weapon, buy the ammo and learn how to use the weapon, that way YOU have the option whether you use it or not.

#49 ·
Cheese.. well said.... BUT!!! the gun and the ammo are useless alone!
Ammo itself does nothing. Gun by itself is pretty useful.

And people get killed everyday over 50 bucks
You're not going to see someone waiving a gun at you from 100 feet away. If you get mugged you're suddenly going to feel a gun in your back or have a gun pointed at you at close range. Again, if you're a Navy SEAL then you know how to pull out a gun and fire and hit a man who's already got a gun pointed at you at close range. The rest of us don't stand a chance and are better off not challenging the nice man who can kill us at any time but hasn't so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.