Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Darkside yes or no?

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  whoaru99 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a vn1500 classic, the first of the good looking vulcans not the ugly but fast ones, had a new tyre on it when I got it, need to replace it after only 3500 clicks, thinkin I should go the darkside tyre, I have done my home work on running in tyre pressure and other pro's n con's. Just wondrin if there are any negative feedback in the forum DS tyres or if anyone knows what tyre would suit my 96 model, I have been to the darkside forum and tyre selection chart and even though I assume vn's are much the same there is not a 96 listed,. I know this is probably trivial but experience talks and BS walks. anyone have a thought. cheers to all :){~

#3 ·
RE:Darkside

I ended up getting a 195/55/16 tire, It looks huge, havn't had it fitted yet, gotta pull the back wheel off, probably not that big a deal, gonna wait till I got time to do it, waiting on a thermo fan switch from the states aswell so I cant ride until that is fixed :){~

#4 ·
RE:Darkside

O.K. I pulled the back wheel off and threw the tire in wivout a rim to see how it went for clearance. The tire was too wide, Igot a185 mm space and a 195 tire so I guess I will have to take the tire back. :){~ So I gues I see now why a 96 model isn't grouped in with later models in the forum material. I guess the swing arm are narrow on that early model, I will make and entry on the darkside forum once I have the specs.:skeleton:

#5 ·
Why would you put a car tire on a motor cycle? But I do put mc tires on my car ! Just kidding

#8 ·
Hey Blood nut READ my location.
I'm in Perth and just today out of curiosity put a 175/60 16 Federal car tyre on the front.
Don't do it! I will be putting the side car on this bike tomorrow but took it out for a ride solo oooooooh. I get my tyres from Ian Diffan over here and fit them myself at work.

#10 ·
Time for a new back tire

Sorry to take so long getting back to Wol, you know what its like when things are running smooth most of my time is spent on the road but that rear tire of mine is getting worn and I realy want to try the darkside tire. Hows the tire going for you? By the way i am in redcliffe qld if you know any one my way who can help... cheers...

#13 ·
Rear tyre

I found a 185/55/16 at ozzy tyres, just wondering if that will clear my swing arm, after trying the 195 it only just missed out with clearance, wondering if I should take the gamble. :skeleton:
Hi Bloodnut
Can't say for sure, I still run a mc tyre on my 96 Classic the darkside is on the Nomad and they have a longer swingarm.
What pert of Australia are you?
I have a Federal FD2 175/60/16 from Ian Diffan in Perth on the Nomad and there is about 15mm clearance both sides.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks Fellas

Yeah I appreciate your feedback fellas, from memory the length was ok apart from where it tapered off it was very thick and that was where the 195 rubbed. I think the 185 I found was reasonably rounded, because I ride pretty hard I am lucky I get the life I do from the metzler I run at the moment. I have been pretty happy with the life I got from it. Has been at least 10000 clicks since I changed it, about 8 months ago. I guess I just want to try the darkside atleast once, I have heard positive and negative and I want to see for myself. I guess a 175 would fit easy, a 185 might just be to tight being only 10mm difference. I guess one of those things if it doesnt fit I might be able to resell the tire on the darkside forum. Cheers...:) Redcliffe Queensland...

#16 ·
Well, you hear positive and negative because that's the way it is.

I'm sure you've read them all so I won't bore you with my renditions of pro and con other than to say, "getting use to it" isn't the same as it not being different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.