Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

No riding for me today!!!!!!!!

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Romans5.8 
#1 ·
Im sitting right in the middle of the path of Hurricane Sandy. Thank god I dont live in a flood zone and my V2K is securley stored inside of my garage. Im on Long Island, New York. Hope anyone else in the path of the storm is O.K. and your V2K make it through the storm aswell. Be safe, I wont have power for too much longer.:(

#2 ·
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your neighbors!

Looks like it's gonna be a big one. My little brother is stationed at a naval base in new england. He's on watch tonight. I bet that'll be fun for him!

#4 ·
I hope everything works out for the best for you coastal folks. I know what you mean about not riding. We are under a blizzard warning until weds because of the hurricane.

#6 ·
I live in Florida in Daytona Beach. This storm that the northeast is getting is just an afternoon thunder storm for us. 80 MPH wind is a good stiff breeze down here.
Just "hunker down" as we like to say and enjoy the ride.
Stay inside, flying debris is leading cause of death in these storms. Be safe! Good luck!
My brother lives in Allentown PA. Need to call him later.

#7 ·
Not riding here in northeastern Ct. either. My bike is wrapped up and sleeping in the pole barn. Our boat is another matter. Had it hauled out on Thursday but the storm surge may well be enough to knock it off the stands and.........umm deposit it somewhere else. Stay safe. Robert

#9 ·
Well I made it in to work today. We went from rain yesterday evening to a wet heavy snow that is a little over a foot and it is still falling. But I say once the sun comes out it will change the that.

#13 ·
Everyone, be safe out there. In south-central Ontario. We had some wind last night but it is gone now. Some rain. Mostly power outages due to tree/branches across lines.
We have had so much rain for the last two weeks I have not been out in that time. However, I'm more concerned that those in the eye of the storm are ok. The images on the tube are pretty stark.
Hope it all works out

#14 ·
I'm on the Gulf Coast in Louisiana and I know what you're going through. We're used to hurricanes. Stay safe!

#15 ·
I have been watching some of the coverage here in Aust. We call em cyclones and they are mean and nasty whatever you call them. Flying debris is the killer and storm surges the thing that causes so much flood damage. I sincerely hope all are well and any damage easily fixed. The aftermath will be the worst, such as dead animals, piles of garbage, rats flushed out of the sewers and of course that lowest form of life the looter. Stay safe people.

Bob

#16 ·
Well finally got my power back after almost a week in the dark and cold, temp going down into the 30's. My family a I are O.K. and so is my V2K. We have lots of friends in coastal areas which lost thier houses and cars. The damage is outrages, beyond words. N.Y. and N.J. and C.T. beaches and coastal areas are destroyed and looters hit areas of NYC and L.I. Lots of people still without power and heat and the gasoline crisis is starting wide spread riots. Im an emergency first responder and just worked everyday for about 14 to 15 hours a day. The places which I love to ride to are either destroyed or will take a ling time to clean up but anyway it will soon pass and order will be restored. National guard is out and power companies are working 24-7. I was very luckey to have just lost my power and some trees but no damage to my house. Hope you other guys in the path did O.K.

#17 ·
#18 ·
The devastation of what was built and what is gone, and what is left is very disheartening. I hear your cries for help and it is so familiar. Wish there was an easy fix, but alas being prepared will make the isolation easier. I know you guys don't experience this kind of thing very often, which makes preparedness hard to plan. Hope you guys recover quickly. Nothing like a hurricane to let you know how vunerable you are in the scheme of things. Thank You First Responder. Glad all you lost was power.

#19 ·
+1

I really can't stand the blame game that's going on and all of this constant talk about the east coast not being prepared for this.

OF COURSE NOT!

It was a record-smashing storm the likes this planet rarely sees! Am I supposed to wear a helmet when I go to the grocery store in case I slip on some spilled soda? Should I board up my windows 24/7/365 in case I hit a rock while mowing my grass? And of course all of the people playing the whole 'That's their fault for living there' crap. What about Joplin, MO last year. All of those families homes destroyed and lives lost in a quiet midwest town. Where exactly are you supposed to move where natural disaster can never strike? Some things just happen and you can't prepare for them without just being plain silly. Now is the time to pick up the pieces and do what we can for one another, instead of figuring out whose fault a hurricane is (it even sounds silly when you type it!)

Anyway, that little mini-rant over, I am definitely appreciative of what these first responders are doing. They work thankless underpaid jobs, some of them are treated absolutely horribly by the public, but they, who also lost their homes and loved ones, are working 16 hours a day to get things back together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.