Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

The 900 is gone.

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  knightrider 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a new bike today. I wanted to say thanks to this great forum. I learned a ton here and wouldn't of been able to build such a cool Vulcan if it weren't for this place. As with most people, if I had the money I would keep both. I am moving on to a 2013 Kawi Ninja zx6r 636. Going the rocket route for now. Here they are. One on the way in, the other on the way out. It was hard watching the Vulcan go. I love that bike.

See less See more
#6 ·
2013 is a 636. Kawi made some awesome changes to the zxr for the new model year. 36 extra cc's is one of them.

#5 ·
I know nothing at all about sport bikes but it has "636" right on the plastic.

#7 ·
That is one beautiful bike Nic!
Actually two beautiful bikes.

I still want a sport bike pretty bad; and if the wife had not taken to the pillion seat so much, I would probably have one instead of my Voyager.

I have never ridden a sport bike; and hope I get a chance at the Kaw Demo Days this year. So, I have a question.:)

That -6R is a supersport and more of a racing design; right?
I do like the idea of more hp and precision turning; but the position is quite a bit lower.
The 650 is more tuned for street riding (engine and steering) and the position is more upright.

If you don't mind talking about your new baby :D; what were the deciding factors for taking the 6R instead of the 650?

Scott

#9 ·
I can't comment directly on the Kawis but I've owned an R6 and an SV650 which are really quite similar to the 6R and 650 Ninja. The 650 will be closer to a "standard" in riding position and will have a more upright riding position with the pegs lower and more forward giving it a more comfortable ride. The bars are higher too. Suspension is usually a little more compliant. Neither the SV or the R6 were comfortable for me for more than about 45 mins of riding. It's hard on the knees - particularly when your knees suck to begin with - and also not great for the wrists. There's no comparison in power between a SS 600 and a 650. The 650 will make more torque but an I-4 600 is designed simply to rev high and go super fast. I personally don't think anything bigger than a 600 super-sport is necessary for street use because I would unintentionally horsepower wheelie my R6 in 3rd gear and it was an '03. You get to a point where a bike is just not useable to it's full capabilities on crappy public roads. That being said - I fully believe everbody should ride a sport bike at some point in their lives. I hit 140mph on my R6 and it had plenty more to give but when you get tunnel vision and the dotted white line becomes a solid one it's time to back off for me. Acceleration on a sport bike is unlike anything else you'll probably get with wheels and a motor for ~$11K. Damn things just aren't practical as an only bike when you get older.... and married....

#11 ·
Hmm , you 2 up it any time

#14 · (Edited)
Don't know who that was directed at but I only 2-uped on my SV650. I'm not a big guy nor is my wife but all I can say is that if you live somewhere hilly start doing push-ups. Going down steep hills you essentially end up holding both your and the passenger's weight back. It got tiring for me. Just not practical for any long rides to me. Raises the center of gravity a lot too. I could do it with no problems - it's just not fun for very long in my opinion. You really have to ride one for a bit to see how the ergos are going to work for you. I'd love to have another SS for a toy if I could afford two bikes.

#15 ·
I rode the 2012 ZX-6 this summer at a Kawi dealer demo day. They would let you take the bikes out all alone. That was a sweet ride. Very comfortable. Very fast. Hit 130 on the entrance ramp before I hit the highway. And it wasn't a very straight entrance ramp either.

#16 ·
I have the 06 r6 a 00 rc51 and my 98 Vulcan 800 vn. Love em all but the rockets aren't good for riding more than 45 minutes that's why I bought a cruiser. Its quite an adjustment to go from one to the other, I hadn't ridden my r6 in a month took it out the other day and remembered how much I forgot about it. The RC is torn apart it'll be ready in spring can't wait to ride it again. They're all enjoyable in their own ways to me.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.