Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

What do you think of this?

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Murphy 
#1 ·
Now into my Second year of riding, I just sold my 2005 Vulcan Classic 800 and have my sights on a 2008 Vulcan 1500 Classic.

Besides the appreciable size, handling and power difference,
what else will I notice?
How is the OEM seat?
Any thoughts on the price and value?
… 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500 with 3800 miles. Garaged, windscreen and bags for $5500.

With the low miles on the 2008,
should I look at anything in particular when inspecting and riding the bike?

Many thanks.

#2 ·
1) The stock seats on these bikes blow. You will likely notice it on a ride lasting longer than a half hour. I got rid of mine, got a Mustang Wide touring seat and never looked back.

2) if the bike is an '08 with only 3800 miles, I'd want to know how long it has sat at a time and how the fuel was treated and how it was winterized if you live in cold weather.

3) You may need a new battery soon if it hasn't been hooked up to a tender. MC batteries usually last 4-5 years if they haven't been maintained.

4) Check the rubber for rot cracks.

Other than that, it sounds like a good deal; I assume it's all stock with the fuel/air/exhaust?

#4 ·
Wow, déjà vu. If you click on my garage (under avatar) you'll see that my last two Vulcans are the same as yours. The 1500 handles better in stiff winds but is clumsy in low speed turns. Both are close in the quarter mile, however, the 1500 has more power riding 2 up. These are pretty obvious observations. I kept my stock seat and find no numbness under about a couple of hours.

I think the price is reasonable. The ease of starting and maintenance with the FI is a plus. Just the sheer size and sound is impressive to bystanders and tweaks that big boy status. Your going to have to be smart when parking cause backing up is much harder and the side stand sinks in dirt more than the 800.

At 3800 miles there isn't much wear and tear to be concerned with. I would ask the PO if any of the fluids have been flushed (brakes, clutch & coolant). People usually lie, so you might wait to after the sale as not to pressure him. I would flush these ASAP as the bike is nearing 5 years.

Good luck and you'll love the 1500...I do!!

#9 ·
Sounds like a great bike. Just one thing to consider is what you are buying it for. If shorter rides & day rides mostly, you will be happy. If you are riding with other folks and ride some longer trips, you will get annoyed at having to gas up every 100 to 120 miles. Not that you won't be ready to take a stretch, but it gets old having to do that break at a gas station every time. (this is assuming your tank capacity and mileage is about the same as my 2004 (4.2 gallons total, about 3.2 gallons before I hit the reserve tank, and around 40 MPG average).

If you can carry an extra gallon of gas with you in a saddlebag or something, and milk everything out of the reserve tank without the fear of running out, it is not so bad.

#16 ·
Couldn't agree more, the only complaint I have on my 2003... ;)

#17 ·
I have an '08 1500FI Classic. Moved up from a 650. I love this bike, it does have a five gallon tank. I get about 42 mpg.
Like someone else said its a bit clumsy at low speeds but that's easy to get used to.
Seat - wise, if you ride more than a couple hours at a clip, I'm a ride all day guy, you'll want to upgrade the seat. I cannot say enough about my Ultimate Seat solo with backrest, the most comfortable addition I've done to my bike. I don't know about the Mustang or Saddlemen seats but I will say I'll always own an Ultimate Seat no matter what bike I own.
I hope you wind up buying the 1500 Snaxer, price seems right to me. I think everyone should have the chance to ride such a great bike. Let us know how you make out.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.