Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Your 500 Maintenance Experiences

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  KG6NLC 
#1 ·
I am eager to know about your maintenance experiences with the Vulcan 500
over the long run....I note some 500 riders on the forum have very high mileage on their bikes..I see many comments about the durability of the engine..Of course we all need tires periodically, and now and then plugs, and the usual stuff....But what about other stuff as well, including valve adjustments, chain/sprocket replacements, fuel system maintenance, clutch replacement, front/rear brakes, wheel bearings, overhaul, etc? ...I am no mechanic so the items I listed are by no means complete...

If you could give the year and current mileage of your 500 and some of the details of your maintenance over time, including the approximate mileage when you installed the new "whatchamacallit", that is what I am looking for.....Additional info sought as well might include the brand name, even item number of your replacment part.

As for me, my 500 bike is a 2001 and only has 6500 miles on it and it was apparently neglected and the fuel system was all messed up along with other hiccups, (as detailed in a thread entitled "My New-to-Me 500" or some such wordiing)....cost me $1250 (including new tires) to get it in good running order....I'd like to keep it "forever" and am curious to know about your experiences with repairs and maintenance...

However, please let's not get into an "oil fight" as there are plenty of threads in this and other forums where that is the special of the day...

Thanks for anything you may have to contribute..

Bob
2001 500 Vulcan
1994 Honda Magna V4

See less See more
#2 ·
One of the most over looked maintenance items on the 500 is the valves.They must be adjusted/checked ever 7500/10000K miles.I change oil & filter every 3000 mile/5000K.I also use SeaFoam once a month.
:);)

#4 · (Edited)
Wifes 2009 500 with 27k plus:
change oil and filter every 3k miles with mobile 1 15w50w
cleaned air filter at 25k miles (dirty but I have seen worse)
adjusted valves at 25k miles (tight and now on the loose side..ticky,ticky)
sprockets and chain cleaned and oiled regularly (27k miles and still look fine)
sync the carbs about every 8k miles so far (3 times so far and it does help how it runs and idles)
lube the clutch cable about every 5k miles
changed the plugs at 10k miles (went with iridium just because)
That is about it so far. Bike is running good right now.

#7 ·
I don't consider myself a "mechanic" more of a "tinkerer".So here's a couple of first timer things I've done.

Valve adjustment: Researched threads here on the site, took my time and bike still runs good. Only issue I had was a coolant leak up under the tank.

Fork seals: Again researched here and youtube. Did run into one issue which was I read a seal setter could be made with 1 1/2 sched. 40 pvc pipe..too small ID. Since I was replacing bushings and washers anyway..I ended up stacking them on the seal and using the triple tree as an "anvil"? anyway it didn't take much to get them to seat and they're not leaking so it worked for me.

Otherwise just routine maintenance like oil-chain stuff.
gonna do the front brake and oil change next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.