Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Intercom on the Vaquero?

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  iceman1959 
#1 ·
Does the Vaquero have intercom capability? I'm assuming yes since it has CB controls. I know it has the same fairing as the Voyager and I'll assume same radio. But I have been going through the factory service manual for the Vaquero and only see a couple of references to the intercom. I found where it mentions the wiring for both the passenger and rider but not what was needed. It also references the intercom pigtail in the troubleshooting guide. But I did not find anything on installing said pigtail.

I know on my old Voyager XII, you just pulled out the headlight and plugged the intercom pigtail into the back of the radio and Eureka! you had intercom. I'm hoping its that simple on the Vaquero.

#2 ·
Actually, let me be more specific. The FSM has a picture on page 16-95 of the passenger and rider connectors. It just doesn't say where they are and if they are already routed to the radio or not. Not very specific in the write up.

#3 ·
#4 ·
OK, the GOOD news is that you CAN purchase multiple different parts from Kawasaki, and wind up with a very good WIRED intercom system that will permit both the rider and passenger to talk to each other, and to listen to the most-excellent Kawasaki built-in radio. You can even buy MORE cables, and gain the ability to plug in additional sources, like your iPhone, or an "aux".
The BAD news is that even if you do all of that, and do not hang yourself on all of the wires, you will still NOT be able to talk to any other bikes unless you add the CB.
I have researched all the fun out of this, and decided to go with the Sena SMH10 bluetooth system. While I lose the ability to feed radio directly from the built-in Kawasaki unit, I CAN access music from my iPhone, can talk to my passenger, and can talk to other bikes using compatible bluetooth setups.
I am still trying to find a way to rig-up an audio out from the Kawasaki radio, and then feed it into a bluetooth "dongle", so that I could listen to that in my b/t intercom.
It is VERY disappointing that Kawasaki did NOT make its oem system bluetooth compatible.
Tom

#5 ·
Dose the Sena have a FM radio. If so you can do it CHEAP and EASY. Billy Mays (R.I.P) promoted device called "Jupiter Jack". They do work. We use one in our DVD player in the car for our daughter that way the sound comes threw the car system with out having to run wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.