Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Georgia State Employees To Be Penalized For Riding Motorcycles

6K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  zig 
#1 ·
This sounds far fetched but the Georgia house Insurance Committee is looking at, as a way of cost cutting, penalizing any state employee who "engages in risky activity" which includes riding a motorcycle.

State Rep Carl Rogers (R-Gainesville) heads up the committee and says "Those who knowingly engage in risky activity need to pay higher health insurance premiums" The study and recommendation goes to the Georgia house on 12-01-2011.

This state sanctions the riding of motorcycles as a legal form of transportation. Why should this group be expected to pay more for premiums? If you live in Georgia, get ready to contact your legislators if you think this is bogus targetting of motorcycle riders. I also suspect that if this goes through, other states and agencys will soon follow.

#7 ·
“We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.” - Ayn Rand, December 1963

#8 ·
The Power to Tax is the Power to Destroy

..... State Rep Carl Rogers (R-Gainesville) heads up the committee and says "Those who knowingly engage in risky activity need to pay higher health insurance premiums" .....
A basic rule of thumb is that anything that can be attempted that will increase revenue will be attempted unless it is stopped.

Note that R-Gainesville did not say that "Those who don't engage in risky activity should pay less for health insurance premiums."

Somebody define "risky activity" for me. Are sports like football risky activity? Eating at McDonald's? Riding a bicycle? Scooter? Smoking, chewing tobacco? Drinking alcohol, coke, sweet tea?

#9 ·
This is the awful awful fine line. That's why myself, a full-gear wearing and full-faced helmet wearing rider, am hesitant to support helmet laws. While I wish people would wear helmets (the studies are pretty conclusive that they save lives in a big way), the whole idea of forcing people to be 'safer' on a motorcycle could be a justification for outlawing it altogether!

#11 ·
Really?

That's why they get away with crap like this - because people like you say "We should fine that guy", or "Let's outlaw THAT activity". Eventually, they're gonna come for you, too.

#15 · (Edited)
It's really a sad affair with the nanny state that keeps expanding.

Maybe we should have a national twilight curfew? Lots of bad things happen at night you know. You'd be a lot safer just staying indoors and we could save lots of money on just about everything to do with crime, accidents, etc. Oh, by the way, we'll be over at 10AM on Thursday to put cameras inside your house to be sure you're not drinking too much soda pop, and we're going to put a remotely-monitored scale in your entry way so that we can monitor your weight, and smoke detectors too. We're also going to install these remotely monitored/controlled power meters to save you energy because you really don't need as much air conditioning as you think you do.

#16 ·
Georgia resident here. Did this pass? 2 comments. (1) When I bought my life insurance, they did not consider my bike a risky behavior. I just cant race it. They had a different opinion about the private jet I fly for a living.

(2) Are all the smokers, heavy drinkers and obese people charged more?

#17 ·
Are you a state employee? The proposed legislation only applied to state employees. I cant find anything in the legislation pages online which looks like this so I wonder if it got squashed.

Nevertheless, I do know of several municipalities around here who make city employees pay additional insurance fees if they smoke.

#21 ·
I wonder if gun owners are considered risky activities?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.