Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Vaquero, Wrapping Pipes

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  element80 
#1 ·
So, I've got it in my head that I'm going to wrap the pipes on my Vaquero.

Any last minute tips or suggestions from those who've done it before?

#2 · (Edited)
I just pre-soak the material with water and have someone help me hold the pipes while I wrap tightly or use a wood block holder setup in a bench vise to hold them if I don't have anyone around to help. This gets out all of the slack by stretching the wraps to their limit and plus you can wrap the radii better without getting any wrinkles. You can wrap counter-clockwise or clockwise or do one each way according to your likes since gravity or the magnetic poles of the earth do not affect the direction you choose the way it does if you were to flush a toilet in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. :D I use one entire piece that way for each pipe. I've even painted or died them to match the bike's colors. Like anything though it's maintenance and upkeep.

#4 ·
Wrap from the bottom to the top. That way the overlap is on the bottom. Otherwise, you create dozens of "pockets" to catch crud (rain, dirt, whatever) in the overlaps that will eventually work through to end up just laying on the pipes directly. Not good!

You will want to start the bike up outside to dry the wrap! Not only is there going to be a bunch of steam, it stinks to high heaven!

#8 ·
This is the one I used. No water no hassel, works great and only $38.

#9 ·
Yes, yes, and yes +1 on all. I used the wrap David got, heat painted the pipe first, wrap from the bottom to the top tightly about 1" overlap, fold over the ends for cleanliness, and I heat painted the wrap also. I didn't do this but wish I would have but maybe also put some stainless steel washers under the acorn nuts on the exhaust port studs before putting the shields back on. Maybe overkill but it is much better.

#10 ·
Vulcan Pipe wrap

Be sure to wear gloves, the tiny little pieces of glass insulation can really tear into your fingers. Wrap as tight as possible, buy way more than you think you need, overlap and re-wrap the other direction. You can put your hand on this and not burn yourself. It's like the heat tiles used on the space shuttle for re-entry. I used stainless aircraft locking wire to hold the ends in place.

Attachments

#14 ·
Not really, there's just different types too choose from. The auto parts will probably be $50 for the same 50ft.

#15 ·
from lava wrap instructions
6. It is important to start on side closest to exhaust port (closest to engine), wrapping down the system
towards the exhaust tip.
7. Make an initial wrap around the pipe and secure end with Thermal-Tie™ (Figure 4) or hose clamp.
8. After securing end, continue to wrap around pipe, using ¼” overlap with each pass (Figure 2) and
keeping tension on the exhaust wrap.

#16 ·
Hey Trey,
Hows it going man haven't heard from you in a while. I haven't been on here in a while hows the bike work for you. Mine is back at dealer getting the cruise fixed. And Im getting screwed by the dealer as usual I will pm you and tell myou all about it. two weeks to change the right switch housing calls for.8 hours labor told me had to take faring off to wire in the switch. Called another dealer they lafed said dont have to take faring off to change housing. Man they hate working on my bike so it will be the last time glad you got your pipe wraped realy helped my bike. And cut down on lifter and valve noise got the air leak fixed right and put the pcv/ign on. Now I want to take to so guys named two brs custom exhaust to get the cross over cut and made into true duels. Hope it sounds better but got to get it redynoed. My e-mail is bskz4@frontier.com lets talk some time sound good. B Cope.

#17 ·
dang BCOPE they are killing you! I am going to wrap my pipes this weekend, and flush the RAD and replace with engine ice, and install a fan switch like RACNRAY did...planning on selling the PCV and trying the one with ignition as well....also think Ill pull the throttle body off again and use some sealer or gasket maker on it

#19 ·
Got the pipes wrapped and coolant dumped. Flushed the old stuff Used distiller water but never cranked the bike. It had been sitting cold for at least a day. Y'all think there was enough eg lft in the system to cause trouble with the engine ice?

Well I'm off tomorrow and plan to get the heat shields back on and should get the new pcv with ignition tomorrow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.