Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Oil filter removal

11K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  fawlty99 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to store my 900 and the stock oil filter is stuck on. I have replaced once in the spring of this year and just snugged it on. Has anyone found a good oil filter tool for Kawasaki filters or a good method to break a stuck one? Also what are you guys (or ladies) using as a replacement oil filter? I am going to replace the stock part number one (provided I get this one off) with a Purolator PureOne PL14612. Any thoughts?

#30 ·
On my 900 the only method that consistently worked was the punch the screwdriver method.
Gonna do an oil change on my Nomad this weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes!

#31 ·
oil filter removal reply

I cannot tell you how hard it was for me to change the 900 vul. filter. I finally found a filter with a fitting welded onto the end of it, now it just takes a socket and ratchet. I have a bummed up shoulder making some motion difficult, this solved my problem....

#33 ·
I had tried the old pound a screwdriver through the filter trick the first time I changed it. Ended up givin one pound too much and hit the sensor and tweaked that out. That's why I got this guy.
It will take a 3/8 ratchet, or use the adapter for 1/2 ratchet, or to put a adjustable wrench on there. Doesn't slip with knurled ends, and has plenty of power. Was worried that I might bust the plastic cap on my wife's Veracruz that the cartridge filter goes into. +1 on the guys who have been saying to use oil or grease on the gasket. I never go more then hand tight in installing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.